Immortal Sergeant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Immortal Sergeant Reviews

December 19, 2015
Despite the dated special effects, and too many cuts back to the past, there is something special about this movie's tale of inspiration and redemption. Suspend your disbelief, just go with it, you'll be left with a marvelously good feeling in your heart at the end.
July 19, 2015
Henry Fonda plays a quiet, unassertive bloke who is gliding through life sort of, when WWll strikes in England. He joins the fight because ... and in the process of war leaves "quiet, unassertive" behind. On the front he remembers fondly the girl he left behind, seen in flashbacks (Maureen O'Hara, as sexy a woman as ever lived) but his reality is the present: enemies trying to kill him, slackers backbiting next to him, and his only friend a tough veteran who gives him the downlow on what's what in life (embodied by Thomas Mitchell in the title role in one of his best roles ever). The timelessness of this tale cannot be overstated, and the director, John M. Stahl, makes the most of the limited budget he had. Worthy.
½ May 30, 2015
I love this movie! It gives me a better sense of the feelings and attitudes at the beginning of the war. Like my mother said "We didn't know we were going to win."
½ December 31, 2014
This is one of those movies about a handful of soldiers lost in the desert who must find and fight their way home. But, if the plot is familiar, this is a pretty well executed example... Lost Patrol--Henry Fonda looks just like he appeared in 1940's 'The Grapes of Wrath'. Thomas Mitchell, as the old-time sergeant is a standout here. There is able support by Allyn Joslyn, Reginald Gardiner and others!!
July 22, 2014
good WWII war drama during WWII
August 31, 2013
Okay war film. Henry Fonda plays a Canadian in the British army, seemingly for no other reason than to put an American star alongside British actors.
½ September 14, 2012
I thought that this was an interesting World War II film compared to many seen. Not too many war films do you see Canadian soldiers as the main characters. I liked how the film showed the importance and value of food, even when it came to a single can of food when your desperate. I liked the fact that the film showed flash backs before the war. Also not too many films show ware fare during a sandstorm. I thought it was a pretty good film for ware morel back in 1943. I thought the film was pretty good and showed a different aspect of the was.
October 10, 2009
So-so war movie features a disinterested Henry Fonda as a Canadian corporal in the British army fighting in North Africa. The dull desert scenes are broken up by even duller flashbacks with Fonda trying to work up the courage to romance Maureen O'Hara who probably is wondering what John Wayne is up to.
exnavykds
½ June 7, 2008
Immortal Sergeant could have been an enormous 40's style war classic were it not for the somewhat disconcerting pace of the film. As released, the action-packed battle sequences are interspersed with prewar flashbacks laden with the angst of a precarious romance. Watching this film is like watching a high performance racecar having to repeatedly creep through 20mph school zones. It distracts from Henry Fonda's outstanding and noteworthy performance. He is, as usual, brilliant in this early role as the introverted and mild mannered Colin Spence who is transformed by his experience as a soldier in World War II.

Fonda fans certainly won't be disappointed with this good film that, if edited differently, would have been even better.
May 31, 2008
A great war film. Good performances and solid direction raise this one above the norm. Great action for it's time, but with an emphisis on character developement. Some cliche`s typical of the genre, but it doesn't hurt the film. Maureen O'Hara playes with understated complexity. Fonda playes the kind of simple character that doesn't usually apeal to me, but here he makes it work.
April 12, 2008
Henry Fonda plays a Canadian who joins the Brits in WWII. During the war, he thinks about Maureen O'Hara (who looks lovely in flashbacks), the girl he loves but never really set anything definite about their relationship. Before the war, Fonda was kind of a wimp and during the war, he learns about courage from Sergeant Kelly and becomes a war hero. Yes, the story is a bit typical, but it's one of my favorite war movies because there's more to it than just killing Nazis. There's a nice little love story (although I wish they would show more of it than just the five brief flashbacks) and there are good performances as well. For any Fonda or war movie fans, "immortal Sergeant" is for you.
July 19, 2007