Five Favorite Films with Freida Pinto

Summary

In just a few short years -- following her luminous debut in Danny Boyle's Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire -- Freida Pinto has gone from a virtual unknown to one of movies' most feted young actresses. This week, Pinto lends her talents to Immortals, visual stylist Tarsem Singh's visually stylish, violent and sometimes quite surreal imagining of ancient Greek mythology in which the actress portrays the oracle (and future lover of Henry Cavill's Theseus) Phaedra. We sat down with Pinto recently where she discussed her admiration for the director, the experience of working on her first big-budget film, and how it affects her performance. She also took a moment to recall her five favorite films. Back to Article

Comments

Dave J

Dave J

Extremly diverse top 5!

Nov 8 - 01:11 PM

Dave J

Dave J

"extremely"

Nov 8 - 01:55 PM

Daltaidan

Diego Tribdino

Yeah, I like her taste, especially of Ratatouille.

Nov 10 - 05:05 AM

Rachel W.

Rachel Woloshin

Nice list!

Nov 8 - 01:27 PM

The Pieper Review

Ben Pieper

Great list!

Nov 8 - 01:32 PM

Nathan F.

Nathan Frederick

Yay, someone finally puts a Pixar film

Nov 8 - 01:36 PM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

Great list, and god damn, what a beautiful woman. She is absolutely gorgeous.

Nov 8 - 01:43 PM

Dave J

Dave J

"extremely"

Nov 8 - 01:55 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Hilarious that 3/5 of her choices had the phrase "I don't know why" before explaining her reasoning.

Nov 8 - 02:27 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I did not even notice that! But when I think about it, I cannot really explain why I enjoy my personal favorite movies; I can point out the things that I love about them, but if I was asked why I hold them in such high esteem when compared to other equally great movies, my answer would probably be, "I don't know."

Nov 8 - 03:24 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Yeah, I missed that too. I don't know why, but I did miss that.

Nov 10 - 09:02 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Thats what great about films and why some hit us more than others... We experiance them on an emotional level, sometimes they connect and sometimes they dont. A good example is The Shining....I hated it and thought it was cliched , uninspired and completely ass raped one of the greatest horror novels ever written.....

Nov 8 - 04:01 PM

Cheshire

Philip Z

It may be the cynic in me but when I see this Top Five, I see a celebrity pandering to a film geek crowd. That's just how I see it though, and yes, I am a professional party pooper.

Nov 9 - 10:13 AM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Nah, you're fine. When the subject picks their actual favorite films, they get skewered by the RT community. It's really a Catch-22.

Nov 9 - 03:43 PM

Philippe

Philippe Ostiguy

It's easy to think that, but then if I was asked to pick my five favourite films and did it very honestly probably the same could be thought.

Nov 12 - 10:11 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"A" for effort. Nice to cover all the bases: art, feel-good, classic, current, kids. I will never understand the appeal of "Gone with the Wind", though...

Nov 8 - 02:40 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Agree about Gone with the Wind. I had to watch it last year as research for a my role, and I could barely fricken do it. The story is classic, but to me, the movie doesn't hold up over time.

Nov 8 - 04:48 PM

Cheshire

Philip Z

I suspect that most of its fans just love hearing Rhett Butler say, "Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn." It's still a great line after all of these years, and some of the imagery is nice. Film lovers have a lot to love about the cinematography and the mise-en-scene of that film. The closing shot of the film, and the crane shot in the hospital yard. It's a film that represents classic Hollywood for a lot of people and it will stick around due largely to the fact that it is encapsulates everything that the old studio system used to be: epic and romantic.

Nov 10 - 07:13 PM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

GWTW is based on a book that had about as much factual information as Disaster Movie. Its a 4 hr soap opera - nothing more.

Nov 14 - 02:47 PM

redrooster0

Charlie Voelker

This is one of the better lists I've seen, and it doesn't hurt that she is fucking gorgeous.

Nov 8 - 02:44 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Nice list. I think she was a little wasted in Apes, so hopefully if she appears in the sequel they'll give her more to do within the plot, which is possible since she is one of two humans Caesar trusts.

Nov 8 - 03:20 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Yes and no. Initially, I thought she was wasted in the movie; but the more I thought about it, the more I felt her character was strong in its quiet disposition. If you watch carefully, the movie's pathos transitions from Lithgow to Pinto - quite seamlessly. In the little time she had, she anchored Franco's character. Hell, Hopkins maybe had 15 minutes of screentime in Silence of the Lambs, and people tend to forget the movie wasn't even ABOUT him!

Nov 8 - 04:53 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I have not seen it since the opening weekend, so I might feel differently after I get to see it again.

Nov 9 - 03:57 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Let me know when you do. I'll be interested to know if you see what I was talking about.

Nov 9 - 07:25 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Nov 8 - 03:24 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Yeah, I missed that too. I don't know why, but I did miss that.

Nov 10 - 09:02 AM

Scott Love

Luke Simpson

Uuuuuummmmmmm... The perfect woman?

Nov 8 - 03:59 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

We need to see her in a Playboy pictorial to confirm or deny this statement.

Nov 9 - 08:30 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Nov 8 - 04:01 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

This chick is HAWT! Good picks. I really liked Ratatouille but did not love it like most people did.

Nov 8 - 04:26 PM

David L.

David Long

Really good picks, plus she's incredibly awesome.

Nov 8 - 04:43 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

By "awesome", you mean by her looks, right?

Nov 8 - 04:49 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Nov 8 - 04:48 PM

Cheshire

Philip Z

Nov 10 - 07:13 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

By "awesome", you mean by her looks, right?

Nov 8 - 04:49 PM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>