The Importance of Being Earnest Quotes
The top The Importance of Being Earnest quotes selected by the Rotten Tomatoes community. Login to submit a quote!
- Lady Bracknell: Never speak disrespectfully of Society, Algernon. Only people who can't get in do that.
- Miss Prism: In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.
- Dr. Chasuble: Your brother Earnest is dead?Jack Worthing/Earnest: Qite dead.Miss Prism: What a lesson for him!
- Lady Bracknell: To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing may be regarded as misfortune. To lose both can be regarded as more like carelessness.
- Lady Bracknell: The whole theory of modern education is unsound. Fortunately, in England in a any case, education produces no effect what-so-ever.
- Jack Worthing/Earnest: My dear fellow, the truth isn't quit the sort of thing one tells to a nice, sweet, refined girl. What extraordinary ideas you have about the way to behave to a woman.Algernon Moncrieff: The way to behave to a woman is to make love to her if she's pretty and to someone else if she's plain.Jack Worthing/Earnest: That is nonsense. You never talk anything but nonsense.Algernon Moncrieff: Well, nobody ever does.
- Jack Worthing/Earnest: You are quite perfect, Miss Fairfax.Gwendolyn Fairfax: Oh, I hope not. It would leave no room for development. And I intend to develop in many directions.
- Lady Bracknell: Well, I must say, I think it was high time Mr. Bunberry made up his mind if he was going to live or die. This shilly-shallying over the question is absurd.
- Algernon Moncrieff: Only relatives or creditors ever ring in that Wagnerian manner.
- Cecily Cardew: But I don't like German. It isn't at all a becoming language. I know perfectly well, I look quit plain after my German lesson.
- Jack Worthing/Earnest: I really don't see what there is romantic about proposing. One may be accepted. One usually is, I believe. And then the excitement is over. No, the very essence of romance is uncertainty.