The Importance of Being Earnest Reviews

• May 16, 2019

Wilde's play is a masterpiece and everything about this was flat and disappointing.

• Mar 22, 2019

Positively absurd. Hell, I even liked the anachronistic soundtrack!

Positively absurd. Hell, I even liked the anachronistic soundtrack!

• Mar 18, 2019

I have never seen a film based on the work of Oscar Wilde, or even a stage production of his work. He’s a familiar name of course, and after watching The Importance of Being Earnest I might have to seek out more things he wrote. This is a great situational comedy that places the characters in unexpected circumstances and allows us to laugh at the folly that ensues. It works well for a couple of reasons. First of all, there is the cast. Based on the ridiculous way the plot is set up, it would be easy to hate both male leads. They are dishonest schemers who are willing to stab one another in the back to get what they want. But because Rupert Everett and Colin Firth play them with such charm and humor, I found myself laughing at them instead of being annoyed. They are more like bumbling fools tripping over their own feet rather than conniving scoundrels. On the opposite side Frances O’Connor and Reese Witherspoon are totally loveable, and ground the romantic heart of the story quite well. Now, a good cast would only get The Importance of Being Earnest so far. The other element that makes this film a success is the script. Oscar Wilde constructs a brilliant story with just enough wit to make you forget the more ridiculous aspects of the plot. There are a couple of elements in the story that reminded me of the farcical work of Gilbert & Sullivan (without all the music.) At times it can feel like they are pushing coincidence to an unreasonable level and bending reality until it’s ready to break, but I have an appreciation for that kind of whimsy. In the context of this Victorian romance everything can become overly idyllic anyways, so it’s good that they sometimes break from utopia in order to avoid a film that is so saccharine it could be bland or boring. I was totally interested in how things would be resolved in The Importance of Being Earnest, and it didn’t disappoint. This is the kind of movie that reminds me that I need to go to see live theater more often. There are amazing scripts like this that have been out there for centuries and I remained oblivious.

• Nov 18, 2018

The last movie I watched and really enjoyed was «The importance of being earnest» (2002). The film was shot by English film-director Oliver Parker and it was created as screen-adaptation of the Oscar Wild´s play. By the genre this movie is a comedy. And a few words about splendid cast of it, I should admit, that Colin Firth is starring in this movie made me watch it even more eagerly! Action takes plays in London of the 19th century and we are following storylines of the two charming characters named John Worthing and Algernon Moncrieff. The plot is based on their actions to win the favor of the women they love and these pretty ladies are Gwendolen and Cecily. John is eligible bachelor with unknown background and his past, whereas Algernon can be called his opposite at this point as he is mired in debts and he is nephew of the Lady Brecknell. Plot is really sensational and quite original, because these two male characters have to pretend to be Ernests instead John and Algy. Watching them living double life and trying their best in order not to be caught at it. John obliged to become two-faced, because Gwendolen can marry a man whos´ name is Earnest the same situation with Cecily she I s already in love with the dignified image of the knight named Earnest, so Algernon decided to take that name. Even though, it seems that in this movie everything based on lies but in the end you see how that leads to the point when you realize that the only earnest thing here is love. For instance, we see sincerity in actions which takes women, Gwendolen cannot be stopped by the insuperable barriers set in society of that Era. And Cecily in the end will accept Algernon as Algernon not Earnest. Moreover, I like plot of this movie as far as it at the same time absurd and totally funny but this way it reveals at some kind pointless morals in the society of the Victorian´s Era. And plot twists which one can find to be excessively trivial adds even more wit and splendid humor to this movie. All in all, I certainly recommend it for watching with your friends or family its amazing movie and worthwhile every minute spend on it. It is one of the good comedies that are full of wit and buoyant humorous scenes which made me laugh out loud.

• Nov 18, 2018

The last film I have lately watched is an adaptation of Oscar Wilde's play "The importance of being earnest". I think that Oliver Parker, the film-director, perfectly screened Wilde's play. So, speaking of the cast, I would like to point out that, as for me, it is brilliant. Starting with Colin Firth (Jack) who splendidly played the role of an eligible bachelor of the Victorian era and ending with Judice Dench (lady Bracknell) who perfectly played the role of an honorable and strict woman of nineteenth century Britain. Other actors was also good. Set in nineteenth century Britain, the film tells the story of the lives of two friends: young and well-off bachelor Jack who has made his fortune and now owns a large house in the countryside and another bachelor Algy. They both lead a double life. Attention, then there may be some spoilers but I'll try not to make them. Algernon, it is Algy's full name, and Jack call themselves Ernest. Jack uses his ï¿ 1/2pseudonymï¿ 1/2Â? in London to make a marriage proposal to lady's Bracknell daughter Gwendolen and Algy who wants to marry a young charming girl Cecily waiting for knight, two girls, I believe, during the film fell in love not so much gentlemen as with their fake name ï¿ 1/2Ernestï¿ 1/2Â?. However, unfortunately for bachelors, soon Gwendolen and Cecily find out the truth and realize that Jack's and Algy's real name is not Ernest. Some things in this film are in some ways predictable, but I cannot say that the plot is boring, vice versa, it is really gripping and interesting. I also would like to mention special English humor that the director used to convey the atmosphere of Victorian Britain, some moments can amuse you. This comedy gives us a great chance to enjoy Oscar Wilde's England, I think Oliver Parker did a good job. The movie is certainly at all times, but it is not the film I'll watch again and again.

• Nov 18, 2018

The film that I have watched recently is "The Importance of Being Earnest". It is a 2002 British-American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Oliver Parker, based on Oscar Wilde's classic comedy of manners The Importance of Being Earnest. Why did I enjoy it so much? To begin with, the cast is just striking. Stunning Reese Witherspoon as Cecily Cardew, the one and only Colin Firth as Jack Worthing/Ernest, handsome Rupert Everett as Algernon "Algy" Moncrieff and more! Besides, the story brings up serious problems of the society without being boring and humorless. Set in the nineteenth century United Kingdom, the film tells the story of two friends, who lead a double-life. Jack Worthing is a 35-year-old respectable gentleman who is a guardian of Cecily Cardew. In the countryside, he pretends to have a younger brother, Earnest, who always gets himself in trouble and has a lot of debts. At the same time when Jack goes to the city, he becomes his alter-ego and lives a carefree life as Earnest. At one point his friend Algy finds out about the scam and decides to go to Jack's countryside house, pretending to be Jack's younger brother. He falls in love with young Cecily and becomes determined to marry her. Jack also has a loved one. Her name is Gwendolen Fairfax and she knows him by the name of Earnest. One day she decides to visit her lover. The important thing about these two ladies is that they both for some reason are extremely attracted by the name Earnest and are sure that they can only love someone with that name. All the characters meet in the countryside and the chaos begins. Will they be able to figure things out and forgive each other's the lies? Watch the film to find out. "The Importance of Being Earnest" is a great film to watch with your family and friends. The plot and the humour of the adaptation will not leave anyone indifferent, so I highly recommend giving it a try.

• Nov 18, 2018

I would like to discuss an adaption of a play «The Importance of Being Earnest, A Trivial Comedy for Serious People», which was written in the 19th century by one of the most famous British playwrights Oscar Wilde. While the adaptation was filmed in the 21th by Oliver Parker. A lot of well-known actors starred in this film such as matchless Colin Firth, amusing Rupert Everet, or charming Reese Witherspoon. The film recounts events in the 19th century and tells us about people living in Victorian era, which allows us to understand how people used to live in Britain and what kind of problems they had. The film tells us a story of a rich man Jack, who claims his name is Earnest, as he thinks he look different with this name. One day he fell in love with a splendid woman Gwendolen. However, Jack cannot marry her, because a mother of Gwendolen Lady Bracknell believes Jack is not eligible for her daughter. The problem lies in his origin, as he does not know who his parents are, as in the childhood he was found in the railway station. Since that moment, Jack was trying to find out who he is it became an ordeal for him, as it was the only chance to be with Gwenolen. Unfortunately, this time his fortune and candour cannot help him. Another story line is relationship between Jack's friend, who pretend to be his brother also named Earnest and Jack)s wand Cecil. Who also fell in love with each other and want to get married. But when they all met in the country house of Jack, women found out, that they were deceived. It was almost insuperable for men to apologize to Gwendolen and Cecil, however it was really funny to watch their attempts . I must admit, that the end of film was hardly predictable, that is why the story was so interesting. The director made a good job. Characters are convincing, the dialogues between them are witty and the main strength of the film is its jokes, the humor of Oscar Wilde is absolutely unique To sum up, I wold like to say, that this film is really great. I disagree with everyone who thinks it is absurd. You must be thoughtful to understand what the author tried to say us. I would strongly advise any of you to watch this adaptation you will not regret.

• Nov 18, 2018

The last film I watched that I really enjoyed watching was "The importance of being Earnest ". It is a 2002 British-American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Oliver Parker, based on Oscar Wilde's classic comedy of manners. Frankly speaking, I can't say whether this film is worth you to spend time or not. If you have an idle evening then you can watch this film or at least immerse yourself in the beauty and mannerism of Britain's Victorian Era. Set in nineteenth century England, the film recounts events in the lives of two charming gentlemen called John (Jack) Worthing and Algernon (Algy) Moncrief. The first one lives his life trying to assimilate from one social circle to another having his own secrets in both of them. The second knows Jack's secrets and strives for getting his own benefits. Within the film it is very difficult to understand who is who. In the beginning, you can even lose a train of thoughts but I can definitely say that it is really gripping. The plot is full of witty jokes and ongoing game of names. As for cast, it is brilliant. You can see such sensational actors and actresses as Rupert Everett as Algernon "Algy" Moncrieff, Colin Firth as John "Jack" Worthing/Ernest, Reese Witherspoon as Cecily Cardew and so on. Also, you can sometimes hear musical accompaniment. It's an excellent thing because it can help you relax and calm down while you are watching quite complicated film. To sum up, I would like to say that this film is suitable for all audiences whether you have just come of age or you are more than forty. I recommend this film to all people who don't know what to do on a lonely evening.

• Nov 18, 2018

The last movie I watched was «The Importanxe of being Earnest»(2002) based on famous Oscar Wilde's play (1895). 'Director' is well-known Oliver Parker. The 'cast' is really impressive: Rupert Everett, Colin Firth, Frances O'Connor(2), Reese Witherspoon, Judi Dench, Tom Wilkinson! This movie is a 'comedy' that's why I enjoyed it even more as it's my favorite genre. 'The screenplay' takes place in London in 1890's. Two young gentlemen called Algy and Jack used the same name Earnest for their on-the-sly activities. Also there are 2 young ladies who loved the same name and want to marry man with this name . And this is where the merriment starts. So, first of all, the 'costumes' looked so elegant, it made the picture more colourful and beautiful. I'd say the same about the 'design' of all the decorations, very gorgeous. I haven't read the play itself, so I can't compare the plot, but I think that this 'adaptation' is 'quite' close to original text, but of course there were some details that were involved just to make the picture look more familiar for us, such as a car. I'd like to say that the 'novelist has succeed' in creating 'an extremely intricate plot' and the director managed to express it on the screen as he had chosen the cast that 'was absolutely brilliant' and Oscar Wilde's characters 'came alive on the screen'. So, ' I'd definitely recommend seeing «The importance of being Earnest»(2002) even if you didn't read original play. 'Go and see' this film! I'm sure, 'you'll be amazed'.