Impostor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Impostor Reviews

June 14, 2016
This is a Suspense movie with some good acting. If you're all about CGI and blowing stuff up, you'll be disappointed. If you like sci fi thrillers, this films for you.
April 4, 2016
This film kind of drags, but it's worth watching once. The problem is that once you see the ending, it doesn't have anywhere near the same suspense or impact the second time because you already know the trick. There are some neat effects, decent enough acting, good camera work and other technical aspects. But I had to include the acting in "technical aspects" because between Gary Sinise, Madeleine Stowe and for crying out loud Vincent D'Onofrio, I don't think there's a non-wooden performance between them. I consider all three of them to be fairly unreadable actors (and D'Onofrio to be particularly annoying to boot) and I can only imagine the decision making behind putting such a trifecta together. Maybe it had something to do with making sure there was no way the actors could possibly telegraph the movie's magic trick secret to the audience. I give it three out of five stars, because even a one-trick pony can look good. Now, the story takes place in 2079 and is about a weapons designer and his wife fighting to regain their sanity In A World where red-scare-like paranoia keeps security measures solid -- despite errors. A detective thinks he knows what's really going on, but we're given ample reasons to believe the detective is just being measurably paranoid. Since D'Onofrio (the detective) is exceptionally gifted at being grating and impersonable, the audience is left to their own glitch-fed devices. Epileptics be warned, the high-contrast two-frame flashbacks come fast and furious and guerrilla camerawork often blends with spot-lit black interiors mixed with MTV-style fast-cut angles. This film actually hurts the eyes. I take it back: two out of five.
½ February 10, 2016
You've got to love closed captioning sometimes. "[kaboom]".
November 23, 2015
Could have been a better adaptation of K. Dick.
½ June 15, 2015
Watchable if only because of Senise though the script is a generic mess.
½ April 9, 2015
Good sci fi flick that I enjoyed. Gary Sinise was great. The screenplay and special effects were good. Again, I disagree with the critics.
½ January 6, 2015
Impostor is one of the lesser known stories by the master of Science Fiction, Philip K. Dick. It is so unknown, that one of his biggest fans, didn't even realize that this film was based on a story by Dick, until I saw it in the credits. As usual, the story is out of this world, as it takes place in the distance future, a future where the Earth is at war with an alien species. This species has the ability to clone humans in such a realistic way, that it is nearly impossible to detect them. Special military investigator, Hathaway (Vincent D'Onofrio), is tasked with figuring out who has been replaced. On the eve of a big announcement by the President, Hathaway intercepts a transmission claiming that her top military adviser, Dr. Spencer Olham (Gary Sinise), has been replaced. When Hathaway confronts Olham, he claims to have no knowledge of this, and unlike previous replicates, he has memories. As Hathaway prepares to eliminate Olham, he escapes to the surface, where he teams up with the exiled citizens who live there. Together they try to prove Olham's innocence, while avoiding being captured by Hathaway. Vincent D'Onofrio stars as Hathaway, and much like his role in Law & Order: Criminal Intent his intensity and determination are infectious. He's paired with Gary Sinise, an actor I'm always disappointed to see in a leading role, and whom always manages to surprise me with a great performance. He isn't what I'd call an action star, and may not have been ideal for the role of Olham, but he was very believable. Impostor was only one of Dick's short stories, but it is every bit as good as his better known works, which of course include; Blade Runner, Total Recall, and Minority Report. If you want to see a unique story that blends Science Fiction, Drama, and Action, look no further than Impostor.
October 24, 2013
Great special effects. Edge of your seat.
October 12, 2013
One of my favorite Gary Sinise films.
½ September 8, 2013
Underwhelming, underdeveloped and a waste of a good cast.
August 13, 2013
Philip K. Dick's sci-fi stories are detailed, rich, and compelling. I can understand the urge to bring them to the big screen...but they don't always translate well. The Impostor is a decent attempt with Sinese and Stowe doing a great job with the material, but drags a bit too long and that hurts the overall ability of the movie to keep your interest.
June 28, 2013
This could have got more but it was a little too predictable. Good acting though, despite a mediocre telling of the story.
May 17, 2013
Absolutely fantastic film, great acting from CSI's Gary Sinese! The ending is fantastic!! If you don't watch this, you are missing out on a fantastic movie, which makes you think!!
May 11, 2013
Stale, but a bit thrilling. The characters are not too memorable, the plot isn't original, and the final outcome could be seen a mile away. The effects weren't horrible, and the atmosphere was decent enough. A bland sci-fi action flick, not good enough to sit through without being completely bored.
½ April 12, 2013
An intense action thriller, Impostor is an impressive science fiction tale from Philip K. Dick. Based on a short story, a government scientist named Spencer Olham is accused of being an alien replicant and goes on the run in order to find a way to prove his innocence. Gary Sinise and Madeleine Stowe lead the cast and deliver fairly good performances. The special effects are also rather good (all things considered), and create a unique dystopian future. Additionally, the material is quite relevant in its dealing with themes of terrorism and police powers in wartime. Impostor has some issues, but the sci-fi themes are handled quite well.
April 11, 2013
I guess this was original a short, so they padded it with extra scenes to make it feature length. Maybe that ruined the impact of the short?

As it is, it isn't awful or anything, but the opening is loaded with iffy looking CGI. The cast is great, but some are under used. Shalhoub is very minor and D'Onofrio and Stowe aren't given a whole lot to do.

I have to say that they set it up that Sinise is really an Alien impostor trying to blow someone up, but that doesn't make much sense cause in the end the actual bomb happens nowhere near the guy in question...so, bad script?

I will say the twists were good, but not very hard to guess at the same time.

Okay watch for a one time viewing on a raining day.
April 8, 2013
While it's certainly not perfect, especially when compared to the giants of the man-on-the-run genre, I can find few glaring flaws with Gary Fleder's "Impostor." Nothing about the film ruined or took me out of the experience, and at times I even found myself becoming invested. That sounds like a pretty well-put-together film to me. Perhaps it should have remained a short film like it started out to be, but it still managed to keep me consistently interested throughout its expanded runtime.
April 2, 2013
90's Sci-Fi movie made in early 2000's, if you like Sci-Fi Channel programing, this might be right for you.
½ March 12, 2013
Predictable, middle of the road sci-fi thriller that does little to excite or interest the audience. There's not much to see here that you haven't seen already 100 times before, so Impostor doesn't even manage to intrigue fans of the genre.