Impromptu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Impromptu Reviews

½ June 29, 2014
"Impromptu" is fun to watch. Even more impressive is that it is based on fact.
October 13, 2012
George Sand courts Chopin amid 19th Century social conventions including duels and the oppression of women.
A lush costume drama with strong performances by Judy Davis and Mandy Patinkin, Impromptu has all the trappings of a Merchant/Ivory production. Its sly wit and subtle conflicts are always engaging, but what sets this film apart from some of the - for lack of a better word - boredom of Merchant/Ivory's work is the performance by Patinkin. Riding into a woman's bedroom on a horse, drunkenly shooting the officiant of a duel, and a garrulous braggart demeanor, Patinkin injects some energy to a film that desperately needs it. Davis's portrayal of George Sand is believable; no actress can capture Sand's masculine guise and still retain a strain of femininity like Davis.
What bothers me about the film is how the story ends up reinforcing the gender conventions of the time. George Sand pursues Chopin in a hybrid of a masculine assertiveness, but her eventual victory comes with subverting her desires to what's required of a typical female in the 19th Century. Even the man, Chopin, rows the boat in the final montage of coupledom bliss.
Overall, I liked Impromptu for Patinkin and Davis, but George Sand, a revolutionary feminist figure, deserved a better fate.
½ April 20, 2012
Suppose for a moment that the basis of all good art (or bad art for that matter ... let's just say Art) was the hot flush of Love's Sweet Call (or Lust for that matter). So then in Europe, in the early 19th Century, a famous collection of artists pursue one another with insane passion, their emotions the fuel for the works we know them by. Here's the unusual plot for a different romcom, a period piece about the rock stars of their day and there's not much to it more than rock has provided us: gender confusion and the usual romcom comedy of errors. There's good ideas here only not completely drawn out.
½ November 27, 2009
Just rewatched this film, after not having scene it in years and I have to say it still holds up very well.

I really enjoyable romp with a cast that is to die for.

Interesting character studies of some of the artistic greats of the period as well as a look and the strange realtionship between the aristocracy and the artist of the time.

Not sure how historically accurate it is...but it is well written, excelently acted and very enjoyable to watch.
½ May 19, 2008
Terrible and pretentious.
November 25, 2007
Judy Davis and Hugh Grant do awesome performances as the female novelist with the men's pants and stylish cigars and the Polish composer, pianist, and all-around sensitive soul, were the talk of Paris as they embarked on a most unusual and passionate affair. That's the subject of this extravagant and entertaining period romance spiced with unexpected comedy and lovely music.
September 26, 2007
Jeez they played that annoying ballade in g minor like 50 times...and it wasn't even that good. And I should know, because even I can play it better than that. But all music aside, this is one heck of a film. Not perfect, indeed, but Judy Davis plays her part with such heart and emotion it totally, totally translates onscreen. And once you get over the fact that Hugh Grant is freaking speaking with a POLISH accent, he makes a pretty good Chopin. Other highlights include Emma Thompson in a very un-Emma Thompsonesque role as a floopy aristocrat and Bernadette Peters as a sometimes boring, but solid, villainess.
May 20, 2009
quality movie, what can you say bad about it, just done in good taste, you won't leave disgusted, which I really love.
½ December 30, 2007
Pretty good period piece with a young Hugh Grant playing a very different but enjoyable role as the composer Frederick Chopin. Actors were good but the movie did drag a little and lacked something.
August 12, 2015
Impromptu is a decent film. It is about pianist/composer Frederic Chopin who is pursued romantically by the determined, individualistic woman who uses the name George Sand. Hugh Grant and Judy Davis give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. James Lapine did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the music and humor.
August 29, 2014
What a cast! And an entertaining, witty movie about some of my favorite artists from one of my favorite periods of history. Beautifully filmed. Has anyone else reviewing this actually read a novel by George Sand? I did.
½ May 17, 2014
A light and frothy, inconsequential but enjoyable romantic comedy about the romance between Frederic Chopin and George Sand. The narrative is somewhat undisciplined, but there a number of comic episodes and the performances are good. The best part of the movie, however, is the soundtrack which is almost entirely Chopin. Truly a delight for the eyes and ears, even if it won't stay with you long after finishing it.
December 29, 2013
Very interesting. A woman who dressed like a man in that century, People could think she was insane. But she was brilliant and cunning. While the love was a bit rushed I think this movie was alright.
September 7, 2013
The humor and sincerity of emotions make this movie fun and charming.
½ May 19, 2013
As a period piece, "Impromptu" is kind of perfect. The costumes are all marvelous, the performances elegant, and the sets are designed to every detail to match the century that they're set in. The 1800s have never been so nice to look at, and have never been so enticing. We're so used to seeing "Pride and Prejudice"-esque films, but to see one filled with musicians and artists that were in fact, real, it's a bit more interesting. Though "Impromptu" is at first glimpse, a Chopin biography, it focuses on his lover, George Sand (Judy Davis). Sand is completely independent-- she never cared about what others thought and did what she wanted. Davis has the wit and class needed to play Sand, and it's easy to root for her as she tries to seduce Chopin. The film doesn't chronicle either characters entire life, but sometime in the later 1830s, a time where Sand was doing everything possible to get the guy. Chopin was Polish, with a big nose, and was always frail looking. In this film he's played by Hugh Grant, who would later become an actor all women would swoon over. Though he doesn't necessarily match the composer in looks, he somehow manages to let us believe that this is the man in the flesh. In the meantime, it's rather difficult for Sand to retrieve Chopin for herself at first-- the former's jilted lover, Felicien Mallefille (Georges Corraface) is desperate for revenge and Chopin's good friend Franz Liszt (Julien Sands), also a composer, has a lover (Bernadette Peters) that wants Chopin for herself. We can all tell how it will play out, but "Impromptu" is much too entertaining and well-acted to make anything seem manipulative. Chopin is one of the best and most influential composers of all time. I can't think of a different "biography" (is it really one?) that's more respectful, all the while being as glamorous and fun as a film should be. The film doesn't revolve around him, per se, but his music floats throughout many scenes, and it's simply wonderful to hear. Does "Impromptu" give much insight? Not really. If anything, it's fluffy. It's like a romance movie. Oddly enough, it doesn't feel out of place-- this is the kind of story where love stories are at their best. Considering Chopin was considered a composer of the "romantic period" of music, it seems fitting. "Impromptu" is by turns funny, dramatic, and romantic, so I guess you could say it's uneven. It also stays a bit confusing throughout, as much isn't exactly explained. But if you have enough inside knowledge when it comes to the life of Chopin, it's lots of fun to watch. And if none of the above appeals to you, simply see the film for its performances-- the above mentioned are superb, while fleeting characters portrayed by Emma Thompson, Mandy Patinkin, and Bernadette Peters are enjoyable.
½ April 14, 2013
3.5/5 It never really comes together, but I liked it anyway.
June 21, 2012
I usually don't enjoy romance movies, however the female lead in this story hit home with me tremendously, and the beautiful piano music by Chopin was lovely.
December 7, 2011
This movie is noteable because it features Hugh Grant before he became Hugh Grant. He plays Chopin so well that one forgets who he is - and this surely is the sign of great acting.

This is an 1840's love story, and it is set in France - so don't expect depth or dramatic intensity. There are times when it descends into comedy, even farce - possibly in a way that is authentically French; I cannot tell. But if you want to know what sort of a man Chopin was, I recommend it. Grant makes Chopin live for us - ironically perhaps, since we see him in the last years of his life, the fires of creativity and passion burning brightly. He is ascetic, polite, correct, physically frail yet spiritually strong. When he meets Sand he is initially remote and unreachable, but when he falls in love at last he is heartstoppingly vulnerable. This is a consummate piece of acting. If you are a Grant fan - and even more if you're not - watch this.
February 22, 2012
Wonderful period piece about some of the most interesting characters of the 19th century.
December 23, 2011
Being a Hugh Grant fan, I had great hopes for such a well reviewed movie on Amazon, but boy was I mistaken. I am quite sure Hugh Grant himself must be embarrassed with such a performance.

This movie had absolutely no story line or plot, paper-thin acting, horrendous values and was a complete waste of time. I managed to make it through the entire thing with the vain hope that somehow the production might redeem itself in the end, but alas, this was not to be the case.

To anyone considering a purchase of this movie, I strongly advise you to think twice so you are not disappointed as we were.