Impromptu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Impromptu Reviews

½ June 29, 2014
"Impromptu" is fun to watch. Even more impressive is that it is based on fact.
hunterjt13
October 13, 2012
George Sand courts Chopin amid 19th Century social conventions including duels and the oppression of women.
A lush costume drama with strong performances by Judy Davis and Mandy Patinkin, Impromptu has all the trappings of a Merchant/Ivory production. Its sly wit and subtle conflicts are always engaging, but what sets this film apart from some of the - for lack of a better word - boredom of Merchant/Ivory's work is the performance by Patinkin. Riding into a woman's bedroom on a horse, drunkenly shooting the officiant of a duel, and a garrulous braggart demeanor, Patinkin injects some energy to a film that desperately needs it. Davis's portrayal of George Sand is believable; no actress can capture Sand's masculine guise and still retain a strain of femininity like Davis.
What bothers me about the film is how the story ends up reinforcing the gender conventions of the time. George Sand pursues Chopin in a hybrid of a masculine assertiveness, but her eventual victory comes with subverting her desires to what's required of a typical female in the 19th Century. Even the man, Chopin, rows the boat in the final montage of coupledom bliss.
Overall, I liked Impromptu for Patinkin and Davis, but George Sand, a revolutionary feminist figure, deserved a better fate.
½ April 20, 2012
Suppose for a moment that the basis of all good art (or bad art for that matter ... let's just say Art) was the hot flush of Love's Sweet Call (or Lust for that matter). So then in Europe, in the early 19th Century, a famous collection of artists pursue one another with insane passion, their emotions the fuel for the works we know them by. Here's the unusual plot for a different romcom, a period piece about the rock stars of their day and there's not much to it more than rock has provided us: gender confusion and the usual romcom comedy of errors. There's good ideas here only not completely drawn out.
RCCLBC
½ November 27, 2009
Just rewatched this film, after not having scene it in years and I have to say it still holds up very well.

I really enjoyable romp with a cast that is to die for.

Interesting character studies of some of the artistic greats of the period as well as a look and the strange realtionship between the aristocracy and the artist of the time.

Not sure how historically accurate it is...but it is well written, excelently acted and very enjoyable to watch.
jjnxn
½ May 19, 2008
Terrible and pretentious.
deano
November 25, 2007
Judy Davis and Hugh Grant do awesome performances as the female novelist with the men's pants and stylish cigars and the Polish composer, pianist, and all-around sensitive soul, were the talk of Paris as they embarked on a most unusual and passionate affair. That's the subject of this extravagant and entertaining period romance spiced with unexpected comedy and lovely music.
September 26, 2007
Jeez they played that annoying ballade in g minor like 50 times...and it wasn't even that good. And I should know, because even I can play it better than that. But all music aside, this is one heck of a film. Not perfect, indeed, but Judy Davis plays her part with such heart and emotion it totally, totally translates onscreen. And once you get over the fact that Hugh Grant is freaking speaking with a POLISH accent, he makes a pretty good Chopin. Other highlights include Emma Thompson in a very un-Emma Thompsonesque role as a floopy aristocrat and Bernadette Peters as a sometimes boring, but solid, villainess.
December 29, 2013
Very interesting. A woman who dressed like a man in that century, People could think she was insane. But she was brilliant and cunning. While the love was a bit rushed I think this movie was alright.
July 13, 2010
A highly enjoyable film, which takes a melodramatic approach to the characters of these noted artist. Grant is great as Chopin and the character of Liszt is uncanny to the whole idea of his public persona in music history as a performer extraordinary
May 20, 2009
quality movie, what can you say bad about it, just done in good taste, you won't leave disgusted, which I really love.
June 22, 2008
Beautifully made, great sets, wonderful costumes and cinematography. Well written but as with many period pieces, I find them tedious and very hard to sit through. Too much talk and not enough story.
½ December 30, 2007
Pretty good period piece with a young Hugh Grant playing a very different but enjoyable role as the composer Frederick Chopin. Actors were good but the movie did drag a little and lacked something.
½ November 20, 2014
Cool to see a cinematic depiction of Chopin, albeit as portrayed by Hugh Grant.
½ January 23, 2016
Interesting, but contrived.
January 21, 2016
good period pic/ bio-pic of sorts i guess better term would be historical period pic.
August 12, 2015
Impromptu is a decent film. It is about pianist/composer Frederic Chopin who is pursued romantically by the determined, individualistic woman who uses the name George Sand. Hugh Grant and Judy Davis give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. James Lapine did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the music and humor.
August 29, 2014
What a cast! And an entertaining, witty movie about some of my favorite artists from one of my favorite periods of history. Beautifully filmed. Has anyone else reviewing this actually read a novel by George Sand? I did.
July 6, 2014
I really don't know if this movie was well made. It was somehow fun to watch, but as I HUGE Chopin fan, I really didn't like that Hugh Grant was casted (I totally hate him, don't know why). And having read Chopin's biographies, I find the Waltz 'Minute' story inaccurate...
½ June 29, 2014
"Impromptu" is fun to watch. Even more impressive is that it is based on fact.
½ May 17, 2014
A light and frothy, inconsequential but enjoyable romantic comedy about the romance between Frederic Chopin and George Sand. The narrative is somewhat undisciplined, but there a number of comic episodes and the performances are good. The best part of the movie, however, is the soundtrack which is almost entirely Chopin. Truly a delight for the eyes and ears, even if it won't stay with you long after finishing it.