Impromptu Reviews

• Mar 04, 2019

Perfection in period piece as well as fabulous casting. Hilarious & dear.

Perfection in period piece as well as fabulous casting. Hilarious & dear.

• Sep 06, 2018

An impromptu, Chopin-aptly played by a young Hugh Grant, holding his own in the overpowering presence of the Judy Davis as the scandalous but fierce George Sand-should conceal its careful clockwork artistry so as to appear utterly spontaneous, unpredictable, and lively. It's a shame, then, that IMPROMPTU feels so often so forced, so rarely alive with the genius the film is filled with, more like a meticulous and thoughtful exercise for nimble fingers than a performance stoked by a spark of genius. The elements and personages are here for something much more passionate and moving, truly great painters (Delacroix) and writers (Sand/Alfred du Musset) and composers (Chopin/Liszt) populating every scene, but the film too easily uses their talent to dress up its love story rather than dwelling on their art, their creativity, their aesthetic struggle in any significant way. The movie is rather explicit that only Chopin's work matters here, even as the frail pianist himself is secondary to Sand, her own novels quickly cast aside and her renegade habiliments and habits neutered. So while this is a story that belongs to Sand-a life likely more interesting than any of the rest of her circle-it is Chopin who, by virtue of his immortal genius, becomes the star: A strange sort of cinematic fugue that unfortunately runs counter to the simplicity and clarity of Chopin's actual musicality.

• Aug 12, 2017

The cast, premise and setting could have combined for a great movie, but the direction and story let them down. There are sone excellent scenes, but the whole is less than the some of its parts. It is tedious to watch at times, particularly in the beginning, This would have been more effective as a stage play.

• Jan 23, 2016

Interesting, but contrived.

Interesting, but contrived.

• Jan 21, 2016

good period pic/ bio-pic of sorts i guess better term would be historical period pic.

• Aug 12, 2015

Impromptu is a decent film. It is about pianist/composer Frederic Chopin who is pursued romantically by the determined, individualistic woman who uses the name George Sand. Hugh Grant and Judy Davis give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. James Lapine did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the music and humor.

• Nov 20, 2014

Cool to see a cinematic depiction of Chopin, albeit as portrayed by Hugh Grant.

Cool to see a cinematic depiction of Chopin, albeit as portrayed by Hugh Grant.

• Aug 29, 2014

What a cast! And an entertaining, witty movie about some of my favorite artists from one of my favorite periods of history. Beautifully filmed. Has anyone else reviewing this actually read a novel by George Sand? I did.

• Jul 06, 2014

I really don't know if this movie was well made. It was somehow fun to watch, but as I HUGE Chopin fan, I really didn't like that Hugh Grant was casted (I totally hate him, don't know why). And having read Chopin's biographies, I find the Waltz 'Minute' story inaccurate...

• Red L Super Reviewer
    Jun 29, 2014

"Impromptu" is fun to watch. Even more impressive is that it is based on fact.

"Impromptu" is fun to watch. Even more impressive is that it is based on fact.