Impromptu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Impromptu Reviews

February 22, 2012
Wonderful period piece about some of the most interesting characters of the 19th century.
½ January 11, 2012
A great cast. This is one of my All- time favorites! I highly recommend this film!
December 23, 2011
Being a Hugh Grant fan, I had great hopes for such a well reviewed movie on Amazon, but boy was I mistaken. I am quite sure Hugh Grant himself must be embarrassed with such a performance.

This movie had absolutely no story line or plot, paper-thin acting, horrendous values and was a complete waste of time. I managed to make it through the entire thing with the vain hope that somehow the production might redeem itself in the end, but alas, this was not to be the case.

To anyone considering a purchase of this movie, I strongly advise you to think twice so you are not disappointed as we were.
December 18, 2011
a cute romantic movie, but with famous figures
August 22, 2011
This was a good movie with very good acting, but the plot really does not tend it to be anything really fantastic.
May 27, 2011
starstudded costume drama that adds interest to chopin's short life
½ April 21, 2011
Judy Davis gives one of the most moving portrayals in support of the argument for romantic love I've ever seen. I feel great affection for her in most of her performances, but for me this one stands out. Overall a great story, great production, great film to see many times. I'm not worried about historical accuracy as to whether or not George Sand and Frederick Chopin were precisely this way and did exactly these things. It's so totally entertaining to imagine Liszt as Julian Sands plays him, and I know nothing about Alfred Musset, but Mandy Patinkin almost hilariously steals the whole show. In this instance I find the argument of the film, that love is worthwhile, is well worth whatever liberties the writer took to achieve her vision. It's beautifully written, staged, directed and played. I suppose it's a screwball comedy, but there are so many lovely layers to be distracted by, beyond the high-jinks of the characters. Yet, it does not overplay the intellect on the page, rather allows Davis to bring her own formidable intelligence to the passion she displays. Interesting, as the film is in part about performance. Entertainment for the whole family and a beautifully rendered taste of history as it might have been, with lots of great music to accompany the fun.
½ April 7, 2011
It's started out a little slow I thought, but my interest grew knowing it was about these two famous people. Definitely worth watching if you like time period pieces. And Hugh Grant of course.
February 11, 2011
Quirky characters, cute love story - very enjoyable.
½ November 20, 2010
Educational, at best. Some very good moments, but, overall, a lopsided story (only the last third of the plot is interesting and relevant).
July 24, 2010
Romantic and witty! Judy Davis as George Sand is truly remarkable. Hugh Grant as Chopin is adorable. Lovely film.
July 13, 2010
A highly enjoyable film, which takes a melodramatic approach to the characters of these noted artist. Grant is great as Chopin and the character of Liszt is uncanny to the whole idea of his public persona in music history as a performer extraordinary
½ May 21, 2010
Aside from the adorable Mandy Patinkin, this is one movie I could have done without...in fact I wish I'd never even seen it.
½ February 21, 2010
I'm not quite sure about the rating because I haven't seen this one in years. Still, I remember enjoying this film a lot, especially Judy Davis as George Sand.
January 19, 2010
Interested in learning more about the life of George Sand!
RCCLBC
½ November 27, 2009
Just rewatched this film, after not having scene it in years and I have to say it still holds up very well.

I really enjoyable romp with a cast that is to die for.

Interesting character studies of some of the artistic greats of the period as well as a look and the strange realtionship between the aristocracy and the artist of the time.

Not sure how historically accurate it is...but it is well written, excelently acted and very enjoyable to watch.
October 25, 2009
i heart this movie with every breath. hugh grant was just lovely!!! sigh, he swept something on my feet, hahaa !!!

"I am not full of virtues and noble qualities. I love. That is all. But I love strongly, exclusively and steadfastly."
September 12, 2009
Hugh Grant playing Frederic Chopin??? When I found this out, I had to watch this film. And, Grant surprised me by pulling off the role of the fragile pianist with considerable ease. I bought him as Chopin, just as I bought the other characters in this subtly lavish film. Judy Davis plays unconventional 19th Century novelist George Sand, of whom then film revolves. Her relationships with men, especially Chopin, are chronicles here in a semi-farcical/semi-serious way. Knowing nothing about Sand?s personal life, I was fascinated by her character. She is a true rebel for the day?wearing men?s clothes and having open affairs with a variety of different men. The way the movie tells her story is by not exactly taking it all seriously and, on the same taken, not exactly poking fun of it. All in all, Sand, Chopin and all of the other 19th Century characters make this a fun, interesting look at the France in the mid-1800s.
September 5, 2009
lame i didnt even finish it