In a Dream - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In a Dream Reviews

½ September 5, 2014
Prolific Philadelphia artist Isaiah Zagar transforms the eclectic South Street area with his mosaic murals. Son Jeremiah documents dad's artistic legacy and his creative and emotional crisis. "In A Dream"(2008) features wife and partner Julia Zager prominently as the artist's heart, soul and muse. Isaiah Zagar's tormented creativity is expertly revealed from an insider's point of view.
August 11, 2013
Instead of coming off as a family made vanity project it actually goes under the surface of Isaiah Zagar's eccentricities. The candidness is probably fueled by the director being the artist's son but it is a good movie.
½ May 30, 2010
very impressive doc about an mosaic artist isaiah zagar. incredible display of his work on buildings. as well as his relationship with his wife julia. how close love and creativity are. oh and insanity too. a very real story about creative people, their art, and their human side a.k.a. problems.
January 25, 2010
A fine documentary about a prominent collage mozaic artist, his family and tribulations. The shots are amateurish if not boring, but there are a few beautiful shots of mixing paint, but mostly it's just about the story and drama. It starts off as a biography posing as an art expose then turns into a story about relationships. Nothing felt lacking, just an interesting look at someone living the life of an artist, but not much more.
½ October 29, 2009
Since I consider myself to be so far from being artistic or having sensitivity that "artists" possess, this movie was like a learning experience for me. Have a husband in his own art world, I wonder how I would have acted. I applaud Julia for submerging in art with "nutty" husband and living through it all. Looking into real people's daily life makes it feel prying into their privacies but fascinating at the same time.
½ August 30, 2009
Really compelling inside view into the life of an artist and his family. Recommend.
August 23, 2009
Perfect answer if you've ever walked by one of the mosaic shrouded buildings around Philadelphia and asked "who did that?" or "what's behind that work?"

SEE THIS FILM! It's really very beautiful. A story organically crafted and amazingly well told.
½ August 16, 2009
Another (and probably the best) of those off-the-rails documentaries I adore, this was easily one of the best documentaries of 2008. My jaw hung open in various species of amazement for most of its slender 78 minutes. We are hooked by the extraordinary murals and mosaics, but Isaiah has a great deal of darkness behind his compulsive decoration. Thanks to the filmmaker being Isaiah's younger son, we go to very intimate and neurotic places before thing go completely off the rails and the family hurtles toward collapse. Introspection and a tacked on epilogue "resolve" our crises. Brilliant editing is constantly shaping the storytelling. The art alone is breathtaking but the craziness is likely what you take away.
April 24, 2009
Im very interested the movies thats why i selected. And i want to share to my other friends in flixster.Who will interested im welcome to share ok.Thanks,i always friendly,margie
April 24, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
April 19, 2009
It's a raw love story of Isaiah Zagar and Julia Zagar. Isaiah is an amazing artist. His mosaic is bald and expressive. After watching this movie, I want to fly to Philadelphia! I like the way Jeremiah Zagar used a lot of close-up shots. It almost felt like you can breath Isaiah and Julia's emotions. Powerful.
April 18, 2009
this movie is absolutely incredible, there were some moments that were so powerful i got chills. it's about an amazing mosaic artist named isaiah from philadelphia and i would recommend it to anyone. isaiah's honesty with his emotions as an artist, a husband, and a father is so brutal and in your face that sometimes it's shocking, and even repulsive. he is literally CRAZY. the story is very gripping, but in hindsight it's basically a melodramatic reality tv episode framed around isaiah's mosaic artwork. i still loved it!
½ December 10, 2008
Its no small wonder this is on the Oscar short list for docs this year.
November 26, 2008
I wish I could give this move 100 stars! To say I highlyrecommend this movie is an understatement.
July 24, 2008
really good
must see
July 7, 2008
An engaging look at an artist as father, husband, and cultural landmark.