In the Folds of the Flesh - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Folds of the Flesh Reviews

½ April 1, 2012
Barmy Giallo, with a twisty turny narrative only poorly put together. No character deserves much sympathy as they're all unlikable. Shame, as i was looking forward to this one.
½ December 15, 2011
This flick is bonkers. There's no better way to describe this complete departure from narrative structure, good film making and reality, complete with green Nehru jackets, psychedelic colors and a couple of live vultures thrown in for good measure. Very little makes sense here at all. One character, for instance, has other people's flashbacks for them. We also get black-and-white recollections of deaths in a Nazi gas chamber in which the dead keep getting back up, which is even more interesting because they're all pressing their boobs against the glass windows. There's plenty of utterly bizarre dialogue, incest, ridiculous character choices, and severed heads clearly made from wax by a blind baboon. The ending makes no sense at all in context. Any context. Seriously insane, so-bad-it's-a-masterpiece, unintentionally funny as hell. That's probably the final great twist, because the two female leads are tragic figures in real life. This is particularly true of Pier Angeli, James Dean's one-time lover, who committed suicide shortly after finishing this forgotten episode of Italian psychosis. The other lead, Eleonora Rossi Drago, quit acting altogether after this came out.

Easily of of giallo's weirdest, wackiest products. Must be seen to be believed. A classic of badness that should serve as a gleeful cautionary example for all time.
½ June 27, 2011
Really whacked-out giallo psycho-thriller is a whirl of stylized Euro-excess and a marathon of increasingly preposterous plot twists. The classy score by Jesus Villa Rojo plays a great counterpoint to the relentless on-screen mayhem. This is one that needs to be seen to be believed, and a must for fans of Italian exploitation.
July 31, 2010
I LOVE when you see a movie that you're not expecting much from, and having it turn out to be surprisingly great! This film greatly exceeded my low expectations. This film actually had a plot! And not just a plot, but one that pulls you in, and keeps you guessing from start to finish. A murder mystery....well, kind of. :) Sort of like the Addams Family meets the Manson Family. One of those films you really have to see to appreciate, I guess. Not for the squeamish, but it's far less scandalous than expected based on the title, and most plot teasers. I'm quite surprised that this only has a 25% rating from flixter users. I guess those 38 people must have been watching something else.
October 22, 2009
great italian sleaze film put out by severin films.
½ April 6, 2009
Kind of a have to see it to believe it oddity. Weird Italian exploiter featuring one of the most dysfunctional families ever seen on screen. Dig the crazy threads!
March 15, 2009
Medicore giallo from Sergio Bergonzelli. There are the usual giallo shenanigans going on; red herrings, insane plot twists etc. and this one even throws in a really fun dose of incest into the mix. The kills are pretty tame and although the cast is decently likeable this one just lacks the style and charm of other higher profile giallo films. Also, I'm 99% sure the brother of the family is a grown up Peter Bark of Burial Ground fame (totally joking of course).
February 23, 2009
What a rip-off. This movie is marketed as a 'cool groovy Giallo', on the back of the DVD it says ; "Remains perhaps the most over-the-top 'giallo' in Euro Cult history". This movie is not that flamboyant. It isn't bold for it's time. Somewhat gothic yes, and colorful, but that's it, add with that stiff acting, some poor framing, poor editing, ahrgg this movie is so technically poor, and full of cliches. Need I say more ? Not even half a star for this waste.