In the Year of 13 Moons (In einem Jahr mit 13 Monden) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Year of 13 Moons (In einem Jahr mit 13 Monden) Reviews

December 5, 2016
Fassbinder uses a personal loss as starting point for another depressing story about exploitation that doesn't dare offer any easy answers, even though the result this time feels also arbitrary, with his usual cold, detached approach leaving little room for empathy.
September 29, 2014
Dark, subversive, gruesome and difficult viewing -- the artistry should not be ignored. But Fassbinder pushes the envelope so far it will be hard for many to make it through the film.
September 10, 2013
A really painful movie in every way.
July 1, 2013
Masterpiece. A movie to watch carefully.
September 10, 2012
Like "Melancholia," this is a movie that depicts the world from the viewpoint of a suicidal person. However, this one is much more difficult to watch. Beware of the cow slaughter scene.
August 15, 2012
Fassbinder's style makes this visually engrossing, but there are too many passages that ramble didactically on instead of involving us emotionally.
½ August 18, 2011
In a Year of 13 Moons:

13 Moons is about a man who gets a sex change and the result of his actions. The worldview is this film is a very cynical one that contains a world full of cruelty, decadence and despair. The films most memorable scene is a very graphic look at cows being killed in a slaughterhouse which to me is the cruelty of humanity in a nut shell. The film also deal with crisis of identity as the main character is unsure if she made the right decision in becoming a woman and as a result lost the relationship with his wife and daughter which is very hard on him. The issue of identity crisis is so incredibly complex that it should be hard to portray on film, and yet Volker Spengler is absolutely magnificent in his portrayal of Erwin/Elvira. The film gives off a very surreal vibe and in a way it feels like maybe this is not our own reality ,but simply a land full of despair manifesting itself in a film through a drugged addled genius of a filmmaker. The film is very moving and tragic and a bit melodramatic ,but the direction of the Fassbinder is so self assured that the film manages to avoid going over the top and ends up poignant rather than silly.

9/10
½ April 25, 2011
........................ No words
February 16, 2011
It's an uncompromising look at loneliness and unrequited love filmed in a style that makes it a difficult watch.
½ August 16, 2010
Hypnotic and brutal. The best Fassinder I've seen so far.
August 1, 2010
This Movie shows that a Human who was threated bad by the Society and is in somebodys Eyes not a worth Living Person is more Human and have many more Feelings than the Most and that some Persons that sensible that they don't fit with the Society and that the Society instead of be more friendly to such Persons thread them like there were no Humans in particular the less sensitive German Society and in particular the heartless People of the Finance Metropole of Frankfurt
July 31, 2010
As far as films go, they don't get better than this. Fassbinder creates this event out of his own personal sorrows. The film has some of the best monologues I have ever seen. The acting is topnotch. Highly recommended.
July 31, 2010
Yikes! Passion + Obsession = DEVASTATION.
July 31, 2010
Una experiencia que llega a ser personal, de verdad simpatizas con el personaje como si fueras tu mismo, tambien de hecho simpatizas con Fassbinder, la historia del transexual llena de melancolia es sin duda lo mejor que hizo RWF en su carrera, una pelicula desgarradora incluso deprimente sobre la necesidad del amor y la perdida de la identidad.

La película practicamente no tiene linea narrativa, es exploración en la psicología del personaje sin dejar al lado virtuosismos formales incluso ideas politicas. La idea de que la tragedia del protagonista esta en comunion con el cosmos se me es fascinante. La puesta en escena la colocacion de los personajes dan la idea de que el problema en cuestion es intimo y de proporciones cosmicas, el estallido del universo interior del personaje lo lleva a la muerte.

Una experiencia extrema (en el sentido sentimental), un filme experimental, avant garde, valiente, provocadora que demuestra que el cine puede ser el desahogo para el director y para los que vemos el cine.
July 31, 2010
questo film mi ha fatto stare male x giorni.....
½ July 31, 2010
This movie fails for me because I couldn't make myself care about Elvira, no matter how hard Fassbinder tried to make me. All the time I'm being told how sad and tragic her life has been, but all I could see was a needy, self-absorbed dimwit. Get over your silly gender/sexual issues already, for fuck's sake. Look at All About My Mother: those people have gender issues but they don't spend the whole movie whining about them. They have other things to do besides weep over how lonely they are. And five minutes of gory slaughterhouse footage... really? Is THAT what you think it takes to get my attention? I'm honestly insulted. I also hated most of the writing. Everyone speaks like they're in a novel, but a BAD novel, full of interminable, uninteresting monologues. I did like the moments of humor; they weren't terribly funny, but they provided a welcome break from the doom and gloom pity party. But of course, with Fassbinder you always get incredible cinematography. That, along with the last 30 or so minutes of the film, saved it from a much lower score. I appreciate how personal it was for Fassbinder, but it's not at all my cup of tea.
½ July 31, 2010
Simply divine. Outrageous slaughterhouse sequence, with its overflow of blood and confession, suggests imprinting of Fassbinder's soul in celluloid. General tone is that of overwhelming despair of the evils of the world (capitalism, fascism, war, etc.) and self (desire, madness, betrayal, etc.) staged in one astonishing sequence after another--like the Jerry Lewis one! Love it or hate it (see the divided reviews below), it's a f*cking work of art.
½ July 31, 2010
Peut-etre le film le plus personnel de Fassbinder...
Burlesque et realiste a souhait !
July 31, 2010
One of the best Fassbinder films I've yet seen (though, since he's made about 40, that's not saying much as I've only see about 8 or so). Your really should see this one!