In a World... - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In a World... Reviews

April 19, 2018
Original, funny, and engaging. I'm not sure about the fit of the side-plot. I don't like stories with infidelity. I guess the side-plot helped keep the film from seeming too much about a woman's career - a career mostly of repetitive practice and auditions (which I liked but perhaps other viewers don't). Regardless, I highly recommend it.
April 14, 2018
Strengths: Lake Bell (Carol) is absolutely the star of this film. She killed it as the writer, director, and lead. She's crazy likable in the role and nails every scene she's involved in. I think the premise of the movie is delightfully unique. I honestly can't remember a movie that surrounded the idea of someone and trailer voiceover work. It's great. Fred Melamed (Sam) was great as her father. He's a narcissistic man with many flaws. Nick Offerman (Heners) didn't get much to work with, but was his usual great self. Though it wasn't a main part of the plot, I enjoyed the side story involving Dani (Michaela) and her husband, Moe (Rob Corddry). It was a realistic take on a struggling relationship. The culmination of the story was well done, and the characters were well rounded.

Weaknesses: Some of what I liked also played a part in what I didn't. While I enjoyed the Heners character, he just didn't get enough screen time. I wasn't bit on the performances of Ken Marino (Gustav) and Demetri Martin (Louis). They were both kind of just there. The same goes for Alexandra Holden (Jamie). The biggest issue might be that, for a kind of romantic comedy, it just wasn't very funny. I enjoyed the characters and the story, it just didn't' make me laugh.

Overall: This is basically what I expect out of independent films. It worked on the small budget behind strong acting and a compelling, but unique tale. This was very well written, with three-dimensional characters who grew in various ways over the course of the film.
March 20, 2018
I've been on a kick of watching these smaller, less conventional, and heartfelt romantic-comedy-drama films. 'In a World...' provides the endlessly likable Lake Bell a platform to flex her comedic talent with a bit of unique drama mixed in. Making a film about the trailer voice over guys? Not only is that a fascinating story to tell, but it's one that hasn't really been touched upon before, and is mostly a forgotten element of filmmaking.

I'm now in my mid 20's and only sort of remember a time when every trailer used a deep voice over guy to provide narration and intrigue for each movie - no matter the genre - coming soon to theaters. When I really started to get into watching movies and scoping the webs for trailers, the voiceover was all but removed from the process. It's crazy to think that these extremely talented humans were all of a sudden jobless. Although this film doesn't take an overly serious approach, it's hard not to feel the weight of the situation when some of these people realize their job is about to change.

Lake Bell plays the daughter of one of the most famous voiceover figuresin the business and she somehow-someway stumbles her way into the business herself. The best part about it is that Bell actually steps up to the plate and does well when the task is hers to provide epic narration. I'm not saying I want this element to ever return to trailers, but I'm never opposed to hearing Bell's witty commentary on any particular subject. I was thinking about this as I watched, but Bell is very much like Greta Gerwig in that she has a knack for displaying goofy and heartfelt into a well-rounded character effortlessly. Seriously, give me them two in any genre of film and I'm there opening night.

As a whole, 'In a World' does feel a little short and not as clean cut as I would have liked it to be. I was honestly left feeling like I could have used another 15-20 minutes of screen time for some of the smaller arcs to hit home the way I hoped. However, it's a re-watchable film about a fascinating subject matter with a charismatic lead. That was enough for me.

8.4/10
½ January 4, 2018
nothing is more awkward then a comedy film that doesn't make you laugh.
½ October 7, 2017
Excellent feel good movie!
September 11, 2017
Was this movie a comedy or a drama... Or neither?
September 8, 2017
Daughter, Carol (Lake Bell) of an infamous voice over dad, Sam (Fred Melamed) of films eventually must compete against her own father for the latest gig along with someone else. Lake Bell was also credited for writing directing and producing this movie as well.
April 18, 2017
This movie was rated very high, but I guess I just didn't see what the critics did... not a horrible film, but definitely not something that received a 92% rating... maybe I'm just not that sophisticated.
½ February 19, 2017
great potential, not that great performance by Lake Bell
February 19, 2017
It's good movie to watch
February 11, 2017
Amazing work by Lake Bell who wrote, directed, and starred in the film.
Funny, thought provoking, and intelligent.
Absolutely loved it.
August 19, 2016
If you're interested in this sort of thing.
August 12, 2016
This was just ok. Watchable
June 29, 2016
Story about a woman named Carol Solomon who is a vocal coach and daughter of Sam Solomon the "go to" guy in Hollywood for movie trailer voices and how she is trying to break herself into that medium and the complications that arise from trying to do so as a woman.

8/10
June 21, 2016
May appeal to film buffs more but still well-acted and well-written.
½ June 5, 2016
So funny. I didn't take to the characters as much as I wanted to, though Fred Melamed was excellent as the arrogant Sam Soloman. In A World is a quality independent satire film and is great for people interested in the voice-over industry.
½ January 31, 2016
In a World is a really great indie that is quite a start down Lake Bell's career as a director and writer. The plot is actually pretty original that in actually kind of surprised that no one has done this before until now. The characters are really good and felt three-dimensional to me. It's funny, and the writing is really good. I'm doesn't go overboard with the plot as it is a simple one. So with the minor plot points, they are well done and I like how the chemistry is pretty simple and standard, which felt a bit realistic to me surprisingly. It's really interesting, and it has some cool cameos that indigent expect to be in this. In a World is a well made film that it's really cool to see an actress's vision as a director/writer.
½ January 12, 2016
I think the thing that stuck with me the most after this film was the insight into the voiceover industry (albeit likely hyperbole). It was an interesting situation to kind of sit in as a fly on the wall for these conversations between "friends" but they're all in an industry where they're literally competing against each other for jobs and fame all the time. It's interesting because the politics of art aren't usually that competitive - it's like if someone succeeds there's still room for success for everyone else. BUT NOT WHEN SOMEONE'S GETTING THE EPICS. bringing the epics back is what's important for these artists in the film and doing so in a respectable way to Don LaFontaine and carrying the tradition and whatnot.

Lake Bell plays that kind of sad-sack straight-woman Juno-ish sarcastic female lead and she was what grounded the rest of the kind of extreme personalities around her in her father and the guy she beats out for the job finally. It was interesting to see everyone through her lens because it all just seemed so trivial and ridiculous, almost as this really cool parallel to the patriarchal trend for society - so it was really satisfying to see a female lead succeed in a Boy's Club industry. the characterization was great, but the plot for me just seemed to drift lazily ahead and the stakes didn't get high until the last 20 ish minutes so that's where it really suffered. overall though, a really fun and entertaining watch. check it out!
November 8, 2015
Is Lake Bell in some way related to Larry David? This film was absolutely spectacular, and seems like it could have been his brainchild. Lovely picture, provides a fresh take on contemporary comedy.