In a World... - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In a World... Reviews

August 19, 2016
If you're interested in this sort of thing.
August 12, 2016
This was just ok. Watchable
June 29, 2016
Story about a woman named Carol Solomon who is a vocal coach and daughter of Sam Solomon the "go to" guy in Hollywood for movie trailer voices and how she is trying to break herself into that medium and the complications that arise from trying to do so as a woman.

June 21, 2016
May appeal to film buffs more but still well-acted and well-written.
½ June 5, 2016
So funny. I didn't take to the characters as much as I wanted to, though Fred Melamed was excellent as the arrogant Sam Soloman. In A World is a quality independent satire film and is great for people interested in the voice-over industry.
½ January 31, 2016
In a World is a really great indie that is quite a start down Lake Bell's career as a director and writer. The plot is actually pretty original that in actually kind of surprised that no one has done this before until now. The characters are really good and felt three-dimensional to me. It's funny, and the writing is really good. I'm doesn't go overboard with the plot as it is a simple one. So with the minor plot points, they are well done and I like how the chemistry is pretty simple and standard, which felt a bit realistic to me surprisingly. It's really interesting, and it has some cool cameos that indigent expect to be in this. In a World is a well made film that it's really cool to see an actress's vision as a director/writer.
½ January 12, 2016
I think the thing that stuck with me the most after this film was the insight into the voiceover industry (albeit likely hyperbole). It was an interesting situation to kind of sit in as a fly on the wall for these conversations between "friends" but they're all in an industry where they're literally competing against each other for jobs and fame all the time. It's interesting because the politics of art aren't usually that competitive - it's like if someone succeeds there's still room for success for everyone else. BUT NOT WHEN SOMEONE'S GETTING THE EPICS. bringing the epics back is what's important for these artists in the film and doing so in a respectable way to Don LaFontaine and carrying the tradition and whatnot.

Lake Bell plays that kind of sad-sack straight-woman Juno-ish sarcastic female lead and she was what grounded the rest of the kind of extreme personalities around her in her father and the guy she beats out for the job finally. It was interesting to see everyone through her lens because it all just seemed so trivial and ridiculous, almost as this really cool parallel to the patriarchal trend for society - so it was really satisfying to see a female lead succeed in a Boy's Club industry. the characterization was great, but the plot for me just seemed to drift lazily ahead and the stakes didn't get high until the last 20 ish minutes so that's where it really suffered. overall though, a really fun and entertaining watch. check it out!
November 8, 2015
Is Lake Bell in some way related to Larry David? This film was absolutely spectacular, and seems like it could have been his brainchild. Lovely picture, provides a fresh take on contemporary comedy.
November 8, 2015
Middling film about poor Lake Bell and her desire to become the first female voice over artist. Unfortunately the jokes don't save this film which quickly descends into quite the borefest.
November 6, 2015
This begins sort of like an insider's critique of the behind-the-scenes schmucks of damned Hollywood, factory outlet for packing foam, but gradually eases its squint, and so the people become not-just-people but relatable folks, and then even likable. Bell herself is the main example of this: shallow and plastic at the start, but someone you wind up rooting for by the end. Well written (and for a film that's saying something) packed with surprises too. Pretty good. Unique.
November 2, 2015
Funny, heartfelt and quirky in the right way. I look forward to see what Lake Bell does next.
½ October 21, 2015
I can honestly say this is a terrible film filled with the most unlikeable characters. Am I seriously supposed to care for this horrible, conceited girl who is surrounded by equally horrible and conceited people? And at what point was I supposed to find this film hilarious...I didn't laugh once and actually found myself becoming annoyed with it.
October 3, 2015
Lake Bell is awesome. Check out Man Up as well. Her performances are naturally sweet :)
September 21, 2015
We need more movies like this.
½ August 30, 2015
I would assume this is the first thing Lake Bell has ever written. It's very low-stakes, which made it fun to be a part of. It was an interesting field to explore. But I didn't buy a lot of these characters' actions, and the motivations behind these characters were oftentimes unclear to me. Because this story was so low-stakes, the movie seemed to wander into unnecessary territory. A decent film - one with enough amateurishness to belittle, and yet with enough creativity and vision to applaud.
August 28, 2015
Breaks a movie few rules. In a good way.
August 25, 2015
Original, smart, and empowering, In A World is an impeccable feat for first time writer and director Lake Bell, and asks striking questions about sexism in the film industry.
August 19, 2015
I was expecting laugh out loud funny, but found a great movie that gave lots of low chuckles and a lot of just life. Loved it.