In America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In America Reviews

May 10, 2019
Tragic and hopeful. This movie rings as so true and so right, I can't imagine anyone could watch this and not feel connected to the characters.
November 19, 2018
One of the best movies that I have ever seen! Everything about this movie was absolutely beautiful.
March 2, 2018
Intimate, sweet, and hopeful, this semi-autobiographical story takes artistic approaches to the difficulties of sustaining family life and adjusting to a new home.
October 25, 2017
Could they make Sam Morton look any worse? But, in all, it all works, stirring the melting pot. See Sarah Bolger as a pretty girl before she became a truly fresh face. A good show with great kid performances, the warmth of family life in less than ideal conditions. Hounsou's especially good. Enjoy! | - Norm de Guerre
September 17, 2017
This is absolutely one of the best movies I have ever seen! So engrossing, and beautifully acted by all of the cast. It is a movie you will never forget!
February 7, 2017
In America means well, but weak acting and a foolish script overcome its message.
½ April 23, 2016
Jim Sheridan's magnificent and dream-like memoir of confronting grief and loss in 80s New York fully deserved its Academy Award nominations, and should be more widely known. The measure of his greatness as director and co-writer is the subtlety of the performances he elicits from the entire cast and his resistance to anything manipulative or corny.
½ April 2, 2016
Don't do depressing well... Slow moving, dry. Some tender moments, but did not enjoy.
½ January 20, 2016
An absolutely diabolical film with a lack of authenticity and a real time-period crisis; seemingly set in 1982 at some points, but nothing, from the soundtrack to the wardrobe, would indicate this. Other than ET being referenced multiple times, everything else points to this being set in the 1990s; a rather advanced LCD equipped camcorder, and the radio host announcing "Music from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s" as the family travel by car to NY. Lacking in any kind of social realism, "poverty" never seems to be any real threat or hardship, next month's rent money can be gambled away trying to win a stuffed ET without any real consequence or subsequent peril. The message seems to be that black people aren't as scary as you'd think, but they do of course practice voodoo magic, and society's underclass are just a host of colourful characters; sometimes they are, and I think it's supposed to be surprising, actually good people at heart (I know right, the poor can't possibly be kind or trustworthy..). Sometimes of course, the poor are just out to get you as you'd expect. Terribly clichéd characters, laughable dialogue that ruins any potential "moments" the film may have had and a universe that seems to bend its own rules whenever it sees fit to suit its agenda. Characters behave inconsistently, with pretty much every one of them having a surprisingly bat-shit crazy breakdown and/or reconciliation that comes out of absolutely nowhere at some point in the film. Goes for whimsy over realism in its portrayal of poverty, and tear-jerker tropes in lieu of making you actually feel for any of the characters. No matter how mundane it might have been at points, I'm sure the real story it's based on is very moving, and would have been much more engaging without the added mysticism and magic. "You know, poverty's like, so bad, one time our Hallowe'en costumes.. were.. like... talked about in hushed tones..." is pretty much as threatening as poverty ever gets in this completely misguided film. The film critic who mentioned Capra in the same sentence as this steaming turd of a film really needs to resign immediately.
½ November 29, 2015
Such an underrated but touching and moving movie. I cannot recommend this enough. Immigration can be tough but with some love and good people on the way it can be a great adventure too;full of hope meaning and love.I wish Sheridan was still making such good stuff. Watch it. It deserves it.
½ November 14, 2015
Sentimental...... truly sentimental. I weep almost throughout the movie! Whenever we are facing difficulties, we may run out of ways to solve it. But if we hold a belief firnly, the silver lining will shine upon us. Not only the 2 Oscar nominees are wonderful here, the 2 kid stars are also excellent in developing the story.
September 6, 2015
A family movie, not giving out sanctimonious moral lessons, but sharing a simple message of solidarity and redemption....
June 15, 2015
One of the best movies of 2003.Great performances all around that takes the viewers on an emotional rollercoaster.Great movie.
May 17, 2015
my hubby and I were looking for a movies we hadn't seen and we ran across this one.. i so enjoyed it
April 8, 2015
Does a great job in introducing this lovely Irish family moving to New York with just a handful of scenes. From that point on it's hard not to be moved by the funny and sad things they go through. Awesome acting, especially the two little girls are adorable, Djimon Hounsou is great as always. Wonderful feel-good movie with quite a few really moving scenes.
March 20, 2015
An immigrant story you haven't seen and wouldn't expect to see in this day (there white!). Its got a little 90's feel to it, lots of drama and an obligatory sex scene. Feel good while being dirty, edgy and yet still critic proof. Not the kind of movie that you want to see again or will change your life but its a good for your soul hopeful kind of film.
½ February 23, 2015
Very interesting story with an amazing performance from Samantha Morton. She deserved to win the Oscar in 2003 and the screenplay deserved to win as well. All the performances including the kids and the dad were superb
February 13, 2015
7.6/10
Very touching movie with excellent performances by its adult cast, and most impressively by its younger cast. Th story was also very good and it's characters extremely human, which made it very emotional in some critical moments. Overall, very good movie about letting go and the American Dream.
~February 13, 2015~
February 5, 2015
Poignant, charming, beautifully filmed story of an Irish immigrant family struggling with poverty and the loss of a child to cancer in a new country, seen through the eyes of the eldest little girl in the family and her camcorder. Wonderful, worth-while flick, and the two little sister who play the sisters are wonderful, natural actresses.
August 15, 2014
This is showing on Time Warner Cable under "On Demand/Free Movies/Sundance"; worth seeing for sure. But I don't think I'll ever quite say good-bye to my Jennifer. Sometimes, I actually find myself saying hello.