In Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Darkness Reviews

bbcfloridabound
January 21, 2014
The very best movie I have seen in years. It's 1943 in Nazi-occupied Poland. The Warsaw Ghetto has fallen and captured Jews are being shipped to death camps. Persecuted on all sides by Germans, Poles and Ukrainian Nazi-collaborators there is nowhere to look but below the manholes into the waste and rat-infested sewers running below the city of Lvov. Polish sewer worker Leopold Socha and his friend Sczcepek are willing to give refuge to the Jews as a means of supplementing their income. It's risky as discovery would mean certain death for them and their families as well. Director Agnieszka Holland, screenwriter David F. Shamoon and cinematographer Jolanta Dylewska have vividly recreated the horrors of that period in "In Darkness". The "Darkness" encompasses the ignorance, sadism and blind hatred of the era as well as the subterranean world in which a handful of people cling to life. Robert Wieckiewicz gives a great performance as Socha. A simple man he is reticent to question the authorities or commonly held prejudices. The supporting cast is excellent including Weronika Rosati as a woman who's concealing a secret that could jeopardize all their lives and Agnieszka Grochowska as Klara who loses her younger sister when she flees the sewers. Based on Robert Marshall's book "In the Sewers of Lvov" this is tough stuff and a powerful indictment of our capacity for cruelty and hypocrisy. 5 stars 1-20-14
January 5, 2014
Intense holocaust survival story about Polish Jews that were hid in sewers by an apparent petty thief of low moral...more moral than the enemy though
November 1, 2013
a lousy copy of Schindler's.
½ October 23, 2013
So. I'm going to start this off by saying this is a rough two and half hours. Not rough in terms of film making, but rough in terms of "this is a Holocaust movie about Jews living in a sewer for a year" rough. Director Agnieszka Holland doesn't shy away from showing the brutality of their situation and of the time period in general. Basically, this movie is one depressing situation after another. But don't get me wrong, this movie is also very good. I really liked the realistic portrayal of the main character, as he starts out helping them only for personal gain, and then we see him grow as a person as he starts realizing that they are people too. I loved his wife, Wanda, she is a great character. Also, the group of people that ended up staying in the sewers was also interesting. They were not friends, only four of them were family, and not all of them even liked each other, they all just got thrown into this situation and had to deal with. This was mostly very quickly paced, and was fairly good at transitioning the jumps in time, although it did lack a little into the second half. Also for me, the fact that the resolution obviously took place months after the climax didn't quite work. It was this huge tension filled moment in the sewers...and then it was a fast forward to a least a few months later and it was the ending of the movie. But I will say, this is worth a watch for the story, which is even more remarkable because it was true.
August 17, 2013
Excellent Polish movie about the struggle of Jews during WW2... and how a sewer worker helped a small group of them hide under the streets of Lvov. Superb drama, gripping.
½ August 10, 2013
It's another version of Schindler's List, except not quite as powerful. It's definitely a well-done film (both directing and acting are spot-on), but there just isn't enough drama in this movie to justify its length. The pacing is off and I was quite bored through most of it. The last 30 minutes are the best part, if only the rest of the film engaged you as much and moved as purposefully as the last 30 minutes, it would have been a much better film.
August 3, 2013
Una historia más de judíos salvados por una persona con algo de consciencia. Esta vez es en Polonia donde un personaje cobró por esconder a una docena de judíos por 14 meses mientras los rusos llegaron a invadir y a expulsar alemanes. Más de lo mismo de siempre.
August 3, 2013
Una historia más de judíos salvados por una persona con algo de consciencia. Esta vez es en Polonia donde un personaje cobró por esconder a una docena de judios por 14 meses mientras los rusos llegaron a invadir y a expulsar alemanes. Más de lo mismo de siempre.
½ August 2, 2013
Were all those erotic scenes really necessary?
July 30, 2013
A very disturbing but moving production which shows humanity at its worst and at its best.
June 21, 2013
A dramatization of one man's rescue of Jewish refugees in the Nazi-occupied Polish city of Lvov.
May 21, 2013
This movie was so great and A Seperation still beat this in 2012????
April 24, 2013
Yes, it's a WWII film, similar to so many others that tell stories of how some Jews were able to survive with the help others. The similarity doesn't make it any less hard-hitting or less valuable to watch, learn and remember. The emotions we experience with the hidden Jews and their helper are real; and they also remind us that life still goes on, despite what evils we dream up. The final line of the film is so telling, so heartfelt, so poignant. (Robert Wieckiewicz is pretty good as the helper).
½ April 18, 2013
Another very good movie from director Holland!
½ April 13, 2013
An inspiring film that not only shows what people can survive, but also that those who others and themselves consider mercenary, can rise to the occasion, becoming truly heroic with a courage they never knew they had, and give us all hope.
April 12, 2013
Harrowing true story of the atrocities of Nazi Poland and the minorities that risked their own lives to protect those with no chance. In darkness takes us to a place that no one wants to remember. A place that changed a planet and forever left scars on generations of the worlds citizens. In the end, good will always prosper.
April 7, 2013
Was ok. I expected it to be better.. It's no schindlers list...
½ April 6, 2013
Didn't win any oscars but as we all know, the Oscars are a load of crap! Real films exist beyond their corrupt eyes and this is one of them. A schindlers list affair that portrays a bleak existence for a group of polish, surviving in sewers.
March 20, 2013
Hey Spielberg .... there were others, too .... than just Oscar Schindler !!!