In Dreams Reviews

• Nov 18, 2018

Muddled, confusing and nonsensical film wasting talents of director and star. Visually good but that is all.

• May 17, 2018

In Dreams is an interesting look at how people would handle something supernatural happening in real life. All of those scenes worked perfect, and I wish they spent more time on the misunderstandings of everyone around the protagonist simply because they can’t fathom the fact that her experiences are real. Watching the frustration of Annette Bening as she fails to control the dark images she is confronted with is intense and frightening. There were times when it got very confusing what aspects were visions and what was real, and it was also hard to track if she was imagining certain things or if they were happening. I thought they would play into that, and reveal how much of this was reality, but the movie didn’t seem as interested as I was in drawing the line between fact and fiction. The story takes a dark turn early, and never looks back. I was shocked how intensely awful they allowed things to become and the movie never provides a way out for the characters or the viewers. I did appreciate that they finally reached a point where Annette Bening was empowered, and her scenes with Robert Downey, Jr. were thrilling. I was hoping there would be some type of positive twist at the end, but that was not meant to be. In Dreams is just a dark film, and it fully embraces that fact. I respect the choices they made, and I wonder if some people really love this movie because there are elements of greatness. It has a tone that is similar to David Fincher, and perhaps in his hands it would be awesome. It definitely feels like there is an amazing movie hiding in here somewhere, but as presented it didn’t quite come together for me.

• Dec 21, 2017

Loved it. It's creepy, it's scary, it's sad, it's everything I want a psychological thriller to be.

• _kelly . Super Reviewer
    Oct 10, 2017

I can understand why people wouldn't like this film, considering a complex concept is neutered by poor execution and great actors give in to overacting more than once. Still, this film is hypnotic and dreamlike, many of the shots are pure art. If you appreciate masterful ambiance, this film has it, just don't expect to be rapt by the story.

• May 05, 2017

Much better than you think.

Much better than you think.

• Oct 29, 2016

In Dreams is really terrible. Despite a stellar cast, everyone just hams it up in this completely silly nonsense.

• Mar 16, 2016

Overall, jolly good. A nice change from the usual outcome of everyone dying except the hero / heroine. I'm someone who finds anything complicated VERY hard to follow, so I don't get why the assessment of this is that is is 'as confusing as a dream' : it's extremely straightforward, throughout.

• Nov 13, 2015

Weird movie with some bad acting and writing. Annette Bening is particularly cringe worthy, but it's an interesting concept, just not executed well. Seeing RDJ in drag was worth it though.

• Sep 27, 2015

Confusing and lurid.

Confusing and lurid.

• Jul 14, 2015

Crazy lady going crazy seeing dead stuff.

Crazy lady going crazy seeing dead stuff.