In Dubious Battle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Dubious Battle Reviews

½ April 21, 2017
Even though its important subjects, "In Dubious Battle" can't get out of the usual rebellion movies genre. It does bother sometimes with some of its sub-plots and poorly built characters. You can expect very speeches scenes, some of them work and some of them don't. The cast as a all is impressive but not everyone is good here. That's the real issue, the movie has a powerful story, but which was poorly executed.
½ April 14, 2017
4/14/17 Netflix DVD
Lots of A list talent and a John Steinbeck story can't be all bad and this movie isn't. Not sure why it was panned so much by reviewers but it is better that it is given credit for. Not a big James Franco fan but this is his best effort in my mind. Worth a Netflix or Redbox rental.
April 10, 2017
I don't know what the critics are talking about. This is a very good, engrossing movie. In this age of neoliberal corporatists maybe it's the politics they don't like.
½ April 8, 2017
not bad...just very plot jumpy. ending was not all that good either.
½ April 4, 2017
I loved the book because I'm a dirty communist. The movie didnt translate quite as well.
½ March 30, 2017
Can't help but dispense with much of the book's moral and dramatic complexity, and along with it any real capacity for fresh insight or surprise.
½ March 23, 2017
Saw this yesterday. It's no classic, but still an entertaining, well acted look at a workers strike, that overcomes a very weak first act.
½ February 22, 2017
It is basically a Hallmark movie. As the professional reviewers note, it is incredibly earnest bordering on being cloying. But there is a time for such movies and if you are in the mood for one this is worth watching. I am particularly happy to see a labor struggle as the source of drama since we seem to be in an age where the struggles of the working class are either ignored (some examples from TV are shows like Scandal, Suits, every doctor show) or made to look hellish and of the Third World (Out of the Furnace; Winter's Bone). Also the great actors (Duvall and Harris being the greatest here) get plenty of screen time so the movie is also worth watching if only because you are a fan of one of them. So, in short, worth your time but won't be lifechanging experience for you.
February 20, 2017
If you never fight for what's right it will never change !
½ February 19, 2017
Jeg datt ut underveis. Var vel ikke dårlig, bare kjedelig.
February 17, 2017
Surprisingly, Gomez's performance stands out in this cast full of award-winners. Yet, the film fails to establish Franco as a good director.
½ February 16, 2017
There's a lot I liked about this film, and it outweighed the things I didn't. Enjoyed the Steinbeck adaptation, and the performances by especially Jim Nolan and James Franco were outstanding. [3.5 stars]
February 7, 2017
I want to see this movie. Can anyone help me with online link please?
December 26, 2016
The previews/trailer look fascinating. Why it didn't go to the big screen? The masses are bias and prejudiced, including most "critics."
September 20, 2016
You have to really love Steinbeck to sit through this. The dialogue is flat and the characters wooden, despite so many really great actors in the cast. There was nothing in the filming to punctuate the scenes or set the mood. Sadly for Franco, I think it boils down to thinking like an actor and not a director.
September 19, 2016
Just.....not good. I really wanted to like this movie. There were some cameos from some great talent, unfortunately it really failed. Really bad. Really, Really bad.
September 15, 2016
I really wanted to give Franco a chance,but his attempt at bringing the third of Steinbeck's dust bowl stories to film is dismal. When you bump this up against "Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice and Men (either offering), "...Dubious..." is if dubious quality. Much of the dialogue is on the nose, voiced with some of the worst Okie accents ever to hit the screen. Franco should stick to lighter fare.
September 5, 2016
Anything that James Franco is involved with, is worth seeing.