In Good Company - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Good Company Reviews

½ August 5, 2016
"In Good Company" is an uncommonly cuddly business comedy with lots of sweetness, laughs, and a star-making performance from Topher Grace.
July 23, 2016
Its fair share of Mickey Mouse bullshit, but levels out toward the end.
½ April 23, 2016
Thinking ahead to what my future career might bring me is among the few things that can consume me with instantaneous anxiety. I'm aware that I'm not alone in experiencing this phenomenon - most people my age are nervous to think about the person they might become in a decade - but I consistently ponder what adulthood will consist of. Once I graduate from college, will the transition from an academic life to a vocational one be smooth? Will it be slow and treacherous? Or will it, perhaps, be nothing like what I'd thought it would be?
For "In Good Company's" Carter Duryea (Topher Grace), crippling doubts have never much crossed his mind. A jewel of his business school, no obstacle has ever proven to be too big for him. There's an unmistakable twinkle in his eye. And who can blame him? At twenty-six, he's married to a beautiful brunette (Selma Blair), has just gotten a high ranking job at an advertising agency, and is exactly where he was hoping to be at this point in his life.
Things can't go wrong - or can they? As it turns out, they can. After seven months, his wife leaves him. Minutes after buying a brand-new Porsche to reward himself for his hard work, he's T-boned by a passing car. Worst of all, his job isn't the cushy, exciting one he thought it was going to be; while he quickly makes his way to the top of "Sports America," the company he's been hired by, his preachings of synergy clash with several of his new employees. His age is a slight irritant, his middle-aged colleagues surprised they have to respond to a wonder boy with much less experience than them.
One such irritated worker is Dan Foreman (Dennis Quaid), "Sports America's" head of sales. Supporting a wife (Marg Helgenberger), two daughters (Scarlett Johansson, Zena Gray), and a baby on the way, it's a blow to his self-esteem and fiscal stability when he is demoted to the role of Dan's "wingman" after years of believing he had secured his place in corporate life. It doesn't help that Alex (Johansson), his eldest, plans to go to NYU, thinking her father is still able to financially back her with ease.
So one could say such transitions, both personally and professionally, are hard on both of these men, who are juxtaposed in their dilemmas but match in their privileged anxiety. Regardless, a friendship manages to blossom between the two, Dan becoming a mentor of sorts for the overwhelmed Carter. But their kinship could end dramatically when Carter begins secretly dating Alex.
As a romance, a comedy, or a romantic comedy (the film doesn't stand by any specific genre norms, as most bright dramedies manage), "In Good Company" is almost disarmingly conventional; it presents nothing new and is without much of an edge. But likability, an aspect prevalent in movies of its type, is unavoidable. Written and directed by Paul Weitz ("About a Boy," "Grandma"), a filmmaker who knows a thing or two about geniality, it's a corporate charmer of great affability, juggling subtle poignancy with amiable performances that shine in their humanity (Grace and Quaid are perfectly cast, Johansson a sharp love interest).
But while it's snappy, sweet without being sappy, I'm not so sure "In Good Company" is much more than just keen escapism; it's apt, but it's also too comfortably pleasant. Risks aren't something we expect to see within films like this, yet the good-nature of it all begs for some sort of game-changing turn. There's nothing not to like here. But such a characteristic is sort of bland, no?
January 10, 2016
Dennis Quaid deals with a changing workforce in the corporate world. Unrealistic in a lot of ways, but not a bad movie. Not great though either as it isn't very memorable. (First and only full viewing - 12/6/2015)
November 28, 2015
Was quite entertaining until she kissed him and I vomited. Need to remember this in case they show it again.
½ July 29, 2015
Quaid gives one of his better performances in a funny and very entertaining and well acted drama.
½ June 1, 2015
Dan Foreman is headed for a shakeup. He is demoted from head of ad sales for a major magazine when the company he works for is acquired in a corporate takeover. His new boss, Carter Duryea, is half his age--a business school prodigy who preaches corporate synergy. While Dan develops clients through handshake deals and relationships, Carter cross-promotes the magazine with the cell phone division and "Krispity Krunch", an indeterminate snack food under the same corporate umbrella. Both men are going through turmoil at home. Dan has two daughters, Alex, age 18, and Jana, age 16, and is shocked when his wife tells him she's pregnant with a new child. Carter, in the meanwhile, is dumped by his wife of seven months just as he gets his promotion. Dan and Carter's uneasy friendship is thrown into jeopardy when Carter falls for, and begins an affair with, Dan's daughter Alex.
½ May 10, 2015
Watched this a few times over the years. Always enjoy it. Good cast and relatable story about work pressure and office politics.
Scarlett Johansson plays a small but good role here, and Topher is likeable too.
January 4, 2015
Cute, witty, cozy, light-hearted, and superbly acted, In Good Company is one of the best comedies I've ever seen.
½ November 6, 2014
this movie is one of the hidden gems.. funny likable Characters.. very feel good movie
August 23, 2014
The culture of corporations was followed in this film with some sympathy in relation to the culture, a not-so-big part of an intriguing plot that involved nicely casted, triangular chemistries between a salesman, his daughter and his half-younger boss. The film in its nature, while following its topical culture, has good charms and humor, both in the nice heart. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
August 10, 2014
Three main characters - hot-looking "gay dream" guy, "sports&muscles" quite mature daughter-girl, and Harrison Ford look-alike looser-father. Naturally, I don't believe what I see through the movie, when charm plays hard, stupid plays emotional, and charisma plays weakness ...
It's all started well as corporate war movie, but then turned out to be "feelings, beliefs and drama on the spilled milk". Nobody died, neither was killed during the film, however the murder of sense was done several times.
I have so many questions on movie script, but I won't ask , since I understand all was done to make the drama more dramatic. Problem: It cannot be done with main female character temperament, as hot as iceberg. She really plays tennis more emotional (2 scenes), than any love&life ones.
June 22, 2014
Probably the most honest and well done movie i've seen all year.
June 22, 2014
A good story although I felt bad for Quaid
June 18, 2014
Well told story and realistic script make this a pleasure to watch. Topher Grace and Dennis Quiad perfectly embody their roles. This is a quieter dramedy, but very fulfilling.
May 26, 2014
A thoroughly enjoyable film with a great cast, superb direction and a script that touches on some poignant areas of the early 2000 zeitgeist.
½ May 7, 2014
Romantic comedies aren't for everyone, and they're generally not for me, but this one really worked. Everyone was great, and the story was far from typical, and the characters were all very distinct and believable.
April 24, 2014
Good movie, better than I expected from a "romantic business comedy". The story felt unique despite the initial hook of a business man being replaced by someone half his age who proceeds to date his daughter. It ends up being witty, clever and funny with layers of sub stories. Topher Grace is really good and I enjoyed Dennis Quaid and Scarlett Johansson's father/daughter relationship. There are a ton of recognizable actors, even in the smallest of roles and the soundtrack was excellent too. 04.20.14
March 16, 2014
Full of the wit and craft you'd expect from the co-writer and co-director of About A Boy. In Good Company follows a middle-aged advertising exec whose company is bought out by a large international corporation, leaving him with a new boss nearly half his age. This film takes an interesting look at business today, which includes new young geniuses joining, and some even getting high positions due to intelligence and work ethic. It also looks at what business is truly about, but as it's a comedy, it doesn't fail to make audiences laugh, even if it's not as funny as American Pie (another film co-directed by Peter Weir) due to a PG-13 rating. Paul Weitz builds around an interesting concept by adding in a romance element (kinda weird, but does help Topher Grace's character), and tons of laughs and emotion, along with a look at the lives of its two main characters, who have undeniable chemistry, even with significant age difference. Weir also brings the film to life with the perfect setting and timing, crafting one if his best solo efforts in his career. Dennis Quaid is perfect as an aging, experienced business man, while Topher Grace is perfect alongside Quaid as a young genius who takes interest in his daughter, with a great portrayal by Scarlett Johansson. Topher's character quite possibly symbolizes young geniuses or geniuses who started businesses or were involved with business at a young age (Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerburg, and Bill Gates), showing people that anyone, no matter what their age, can do amazing contributions to society, and prove what the youth of the world can accomplish. A little hard to like, but I think it's a must-see for audiences.
½ February 10, 2014
A very sweet film that ultimately reminds us that things may turn out quite well, but still don't have to end absolutely perfectly. Great story.