In Good Company - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Good Company Reviews

½ February 9, 2014
Fantastic movie. The way the relationships develop in this movie is intricate and realistic. The comedy is subtle as it should be. A good mirror to today's society as well.
January 25, 2014
one of my favorite movies
½ January 16, 2014
Great movie. Very funny, very sweet, very good-hearted, with great performances from Grace, Quaid, and Johanssen. It's good in that, rather than do the Hollywood tiptoe dance around them, it deals with real people with real problems in very believable ways.
½ January 8, 2014
Quaid and Grace lacked a bit of on-screen chemistry but the acting by both did enough to hid it behind Grace's spazy boss attempt and Quaid's cool and composed veteran persona. In Good Company was much better than I had expected. It may not be laugh out loud funny or even that captivating but as the title implies you feel like you are In Good Company.
December 31, 2013
Good comedy with a great cast, an interesting story & some adorable moments.
November 29, 2013
Better than I expected.
November 11, 2013
A film that can resist, to a point, a clich├ęd finale is a good thing.
November 8, 2013
A subtle, quiet Jem from 04 that I remembering being really engaged with. The characters are so developed that the story could have revolved around a 36 hour long period of time where they are sitting in an insurance seminar and it would have still worked. Denis Quid gives us a real person to root for. Not in the heroic sense, but in the everyday flawed, scared, struggling man sense. Why this didn't propel Topher Grace a bit further in his career is a mystery. (I guess because of Spider-Man 3) ScarJo is always pleasant to look at and gives us a great depiction of a young girl looking for her place in the College and Romance juggling act. Great supporting cast as well. The movie just feels real from the struggles of the harsh environment workplace to the family changes. This was my favorite film of 2004.
October 25, 2013
I love this film. The music is amazing (I have almost every artist from it in my collection, before the movie came out), the script is great and I love all the actors. I think that as a person who was greatly affected by the recession by being laid off, this film and Up In The Air speak to me as films that really show how fragile the system is and how replaceable we all are.
September 16, 2013
Nails corporate culture to a T. It may seem dull watching, but is more truthful then not.
August 16, 2013
Another one that I own... but haven't watched yet.
½ July 30, 2013
Sadly this one didn't really do anything for me- it's not a bad film in that I can see how people could enjoy it but for me it was not fun.

With a film like this, and with most films really, the characters are what matter and the downfall of this one for me was that I didn't like them. We have the typical two opposing players here and it's clear who we're supposed to side with at first- the under appreciated and demoted family man Foreman over the inexperienced young Carter who is incompetent and undeserving of his position.

The thing is though- family-man Dan isn't an interesting character, he is the same one you'd find in countless other movies and his storyline is just him wanting to take care of his daughter as opposed to her, you know, taking care of herself. There's no excitement in his 'unhinged' aspect too- I'd rather watch Falling Down for something like that. It's a bland character by all accounts and a good performance from Quad doesn't come close to fixing that.

Worse yet, Carter never improves really- by the end we are supposed to feel as if he has changed in some way but this isn't the case. All we get in this movie is a man whose marriage ends (through is own stupidity in some ways) and who then, simply by saying she is beautiful all the time, begins to date his 'enemy's' daughter (how original...), played by Scarlett Johansson. There is nothing new about this plotline either and it all feels rehashed- sure it is well done, the acting is good all-round in this film and the dialogue seems passable I guess but this isn't the kind of film that can get by on its premise alone. It is an old premise and unless there's something new on show, this one won't, and for me, doesn't, impress.

I didn't find it particularly funny either which didn't help- there really weren't any laughs here, it had no real tone behind it other than a day-time TV melodrama which only reminds us that this film is trying, and miserably failing, to make corporate culture seem like a good setting for a film like this- I'll never understand why so many films make the same mistake. If you want to make fun of corporate culture then take it seriously, don't copy and paste it into a bog-standard feud movie.

I truly hate to use this word but this one is overrated for me, it really is. It just doesn't give me anything worthwhile- it is all predictable and while I like that it didn't go full-on happy ending, it was still pretty dependant on entirely expected role-reversal situations which aren't funny in a film where it is clear from the get-go that the roles should be reversed.

The main characters annoyed me- Foreman because he feels like a movie-ready character mould and Carter because he doesn't earn my attention- why should I care about this guy? Anyway, it's perfectly okay if you just want something on while you eat your tea but I'd sure as hell be disappointed if I watched this film under any other circumstance.
July 16, 2013
Entertaining without being too predictable at the end.
½ July 10, 2013
Meh. Boring. That is all.
July 8, 2013
great film! dennis, topher and scarlett are great! def has his drama and humor. topher kicks it up a notch from is goofy "that 70s show" moments.
½ July 1, 2013
I don't know if it really needs to move in a very slow pace to show where it's getting at, but with the right formula, In Good Company just gives you the warmth it advertises.
½ June 17, 2013
feels forced most of the time.
½ June 12, 2013
In Good Company is a smart and prolific film that offers some insightful commentary on corporate downsizing and its effects. The story follows a middle-aged father named Dan Foreman whose life is thrown into turmoil when his company is bought out, and he finds himself working for a boss half his age who has no experience. The casting is really good, and includes Dennis Quaid, Topher Grace, and Scarlett Johansson; who all deliver strong performances. Additionally, the writing is quite good, especially in its witty satire and social commentary. Still, there are some script issues, and it plays things a bit safe. Fun and sincere, In Good Company is a timely film with some interesting things to say.
½ June 4, 2013
Oh my gosh what a TERRIBLE ending!
May 27, 2013
Strong performances from it's cast, particularly Topher Grace and Dennis Quaid. "In Good Company" may not appeal to everyone but, it should be seen for the performances alone and the sweet and tender moments given. A film that is truly under rated among the general audience, if they've heard of it in my opinion.