In Memory of My Father Reviews

• Sep 05, 2012

Bleak comedy about a man who dies and how his family went to Hell.

Bleak comedy about a man who dies and how his family went to Hell.

• May 08, 2011

Like many dark comedies this is a little hit and miss. And some of the acting (or perhaps the staging of said acting) seems more than a little contrived. But there are some really hilarious moments throughout much of the movie to go along with some jokes which just don't work (due to timing, acting, staging, etc). On the whole it is enjoyable even if the characters are all people you would never ever want to spend any time with.

• Apr 11, 2011

Full of fantastic moments.

Full of fantastic moments.

• Nov 27, 2009

wow wow wow! I loved everything in this movie, the music (belle and sebastian), the acting, the dialogue, the casting. In a moment you forget you are watching a movie. A must see!

• May 23, 2009

At times poignant, at times slow and dull. I felt like this movie accomplished what it set out to but left me more or less unimpressed by the end. Maybe it was just too hard for me to relate to, maybe it just wasn't my type of movie, but overall I was left unimpressed.

• Feb 25, 2009

The self-awareness is nice, but the self-regarding navel-gazing is no longer a new enough motif to be endearing for its own sake.

• scott g Super Reviewer
    Oct 28, 2008

spoilt kids spend the day mouring death of there father, as tensions rise secrets come out, and feelings are said, nicely shot, very loose, with some good moments, and situations

• Oct 17, 2008

This is one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen. It's hilarious and so heart warming. Highly recommended

• Jun 13, 2008

Showing that there is more to the American independent movie scene than geek love and inarticulate mumblecore, the debut directing feature written, produced and directed by actor Christopher Jaymes, demonstrates that is it possible to make a low-budget feature on Digital Video and also be smart, stylish and very, very funny. Not only however is the script of In Memory Of My Father razor sharp, brimming with intelligence, wit and profanity, but Jaymes shows that indie filmmaking doesn't necessarily have to rely on non-professional actors either - and when the script is this good, you really want actors who are strong enough to deliver it with the appropriate sense of irony and comic timing. The target of the over-privileged and over-indulged Hollywood Hills crowd with all their hang-ups and insecurities might appear an obvious target for satire, but Jaymes gets to the nature of dysfunction within artistic families, intelligently, credibly and with a great deal of wit and humour. Clearly a major new talent in the making, Jaymes' debut feature is simply phenomenal.

• May 31, 2008

Big claims are being made of Jaymes - the film's press notes compare him to Altman and Cassavetes - but he's a fairly charmless screen presence, and his material does rather resemble the acquired-taste sitcom of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", where the obnoxiousness of the characters is funny only up to a point. Its loose-limbed semi-professionalism stumbles across odd lines and moments worthy of a chuckle, but too often exposes many more flaws besides: a tendency to foster a druggy indolence in, or cut away from, its most appealing performers (Sisto, Greer) just as their scenes are getting started; waaaaay too much Belle and Sebastian on the soundtrack, an overdose of fey; and a mistaken, if not arrogant, belief we should give two hoots about a set of self-pitying Hollywood solipsists.