In My Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In My Country Reviews

August 15, 2013
Slow.but hauntingly TMI
July 14, 2013
Again I must in this case ardently disagree with this site and the critics--this one of the best films I have ever seen because it deals with a subject that is seldom treated by the movies and one that is so necessary for the very survival of our world--forgiveness. Not only does In My Country treat the subject of forgiveness, perhaps the hardest thing for humans to do, but it treats this subject very well, in some of the most unforgettable scenes I have watched. A truly moving, beautiful film with superb performances by Samuel L Jackson, Juliette Binoche, and most of all Brendan Gleeson, whose role here is like nothing I have ever seen play before. How critics could call this movie melodramatic, I simply don't understand. Melodrama is something like Gone With the Wind, a soap opera, but this film is real drama, because it tells of things that actually happened and dealt with it in a way that emphasized the necessity for forgiveness instead of vengeance, something so rare, we must reassure every instance of it.
½ January 1, 2013
Jackson and Binoche put it on the line in John Boorman's In My Country. Boorman tries to invoke tears but isn't able to connect with the audience as much as the plot could have allowed. Dealing with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of South Africa In My Country has moments of brilliance but is never very strong in any faucet.
December 28, 2012
The balancing ending was the only thing saving this from being complete self-loathing garbage.
July 4, 2012
This movie moved at a snails pace. Its a serious and sad subject, but the way it was presented made it seem secondary to the budding, uninteresting romance.
June 15, 2012
In My Country is a film about post-Apartheid South Africa. In 1995 Nelson Mandela established the Truth & Reconciliation Commission which allowed victims to testify to share their stories and perpetrators were allowed to confess their crimes in exchange for amnesty, on the condition that their accounts were truthful and proved to be politically motivated. In My Country was directed by John Boorman and stars Samuel L Jackson and Juliette Binoche and it recounts just some of the thousands of testimonies given during the commision. Unfotrunately the story gets bogged down with a few unessessary subplots such as a relationship between the two leads and an interview between Jackson's character and a ruthless white supremisict played well be Brendan Gleeson. This portion of the film is broken up and presented in scattered moments throughout the movie. I also felt that the wrong actors had been cast. Binoche seems to have been chosen for her ability to cry on que but her performance is unconvincing. Jackson is also two dimentional playing an American reporter and his performances teeters on kitchy. In My Country is a well intended film, telling important stories... but it fails in it's delivery.
½ December 28, 2011
An interesting film this dives the viewer into the uneasiness of how to handle a post-apartheid South Africa.
½ December 24, 2011
Moving drama about the truth and reconciliations in the aftermath of the Apartheid wars in South Africa. Great lead performanmce by Binoche and Jackson
October 30, 2011
Predictable, schmaltzy and clunky. Probably Boorman's weakest effort.
August 10, 2011
The film itself? Juliette Binoche's South African accent? Eh. The story and the recent history of South Africa? very interesting.
½ April 26, 2010
I hate this kind of movie. It's a bunch of people talking about something happened without anything happening while we're watching. The TaRC was a great idea and seems to have worked pretty well, but that's not enough to make a good movie. Fortunately, Boorman recognized this. Unfortunately, he failed to recognize that two politically-opposed people falling in love is trite.
½ March 24, 2010
A great story; thrilling and very well made.
½ August 27, 2009
What should have been a thoughtful and engaging film about apartheid, guilt and forgiveness is undone by a scatterbrained script that spends way too much time on a pointless romantic subplot.
½ July 11, 2009
Its a very sad but a good movie. Its not biased, which is very hard to do in a movie with such a sensitive topic
½ May 3, 2009
Very moving film about the truth and reconciliation project in South Africa. Highly emotional; both Jackson and Binoche were excellent. Be prepared for tears.
February 22, 2009
Heartfelt story about apartied and amnesty. There were parts of this that were so moving to watch. However as a whole the movie lacked strength for me. It faded a lot. There would be a moment of feeling or inspiration then it would fade again. Not horrible but not great either.
January 16, 2009
Okay movie...not as good as Cry Freedom or some of the other Apartheid based plot movies...
December 8, 2008
it's good if one likes africa and is interested in history....
½ November 29, 2008
½ November 3, 2008
Muy Buena pelicula que muestra de manera sutil las cosas terribles (asesinatos torturas etc) que pasaron en southafrica durante el apartheid.
Excellent photography!