In Old Arizona - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Old Arizona Reviews

September 4, 2008
One of the first "talkie" westerns, Warner Baxter stars in his Oscar winning role as the Cisco Kid, a bandit who is almost Robin Hood like. He gives an okay performance, but really, this movie just wasn't that good. It tells a simple story and just drags it out. Some of the characters were very stereotypical, Baxter's girlfriend almost acts like Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge when she's in the bedroom with McGregor for the first time bouncing about all over the place. And the Sergeant is pretty over the top as well, "My, you're the prettiest goyle in the whole woyld." This movie was pretty much one of those early talkie films was taking advantage of being a sound picture and trying to throw everything in there. I'd say see it just if you're interested in one of the early Oscar winners and its historic place in cinema.
June 17, 2007
One of the first "talkie" westerns, and a really good one.
June 4, 2007
In an early talking western, Warner Baxter plays the role of The Cisco Kid from O. Henry's "The Cabellero's Way." The film has good cinematography and direction. The story line is a little weak and the action is slow for modern audiences.

As a historic film relic, this film shines. It gives us a rare glimpse into the very earliest talking films and a chance to peek into the pre-Depression dime novel version of the wild west.
½ February 6, 2006
This early talkie holds of quite well over time. This is actually my first time seeing this movie. It's rare to find a classic movie I have never seen. Warner baxter won an Oscar for his portrayal of the Cisco Kid, and he does quite well. An impressive film.