In Old California - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Old California Reviews

½ July 21, 2015
John Wayne did this movie in honor of his father who was a pharmacist!
June 8, 2014
Give me a beer. Make it long and make it wet.

A Boston pharmacist moves to Sacramento during the height of the gold rush. He sells an elixir of sorts to cure what ills you. A politician wants the pharmacist out of Sacramento and blames him for an epidemic that breaks out in the miners. The pharmacist works quickly to cure the workers and clear his name.

"I want cut glass, chandeliers, and gold knobs."

William McGann, director of Highway West, We Go Fast, Wolf of New York, Frontier Badman, A Shot in the Dark, and Alcatraz Island, delivers In Old California. The storyline for this picture is fun to watch unfold and a very different character for John Wayne. The settings are okay and the drama wasn't as intense as it could have been. The acting was pretty good and the cast includes Wayne, Patsy Kelly, Albert Decker, and Paul Sutton.

"Are you in the mood for a very important question?"

I had bookmarked this movie off Netflix because it starred John Wayne and I had never seen it. This was interesting and fun to watch unfold. It wasn't my favorite Wayne movie, but I will say seeing him as something besides a stuffy, wise cracking cowboy was fascinating. Overall, this is worth a viewing but not one of my favorite pictures from this era.

"I don't see the point of no joke!"

Grade: C+
½ March 31, 2014
Young John Wayne at his best! All the old-timey western character archetypes are present and done well. Very fun, simple plot, great movie!
June 2, 2013
JOhn Wayne classic comedy and action all rolled up in one great movie
½ June 15, 2011
It's too inconsistent in tone and over-plotted to be successful. It tries to be a romantic comedy, a serious Western, and a corn-ball comedy.
March 21, 2011
great laugh, fun characters, nice action, slick pace
March 27, 2010
Another early one but also a great one.
February 28, 2010
i don't own this one yet !!
July 25, 2009
Saw it before and really love his movies
½ April 30, 2009
A little ordinary as Westerns go, Wayne going through the motions of a studio contract playing a relatively weak lead character in terms of his back catalogue.
April 30, 2009
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that albert dekker, binnie barnes, edgar kennedy, john wayne, patsy kelly play good roles/parts throguhout this movie...i think that the director of this drama/western/classics movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie its a good 1940's movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie i think that its really well filmed because its a good black n white movie 2 watch
March 11, 2009
Outstanding movie John Wayne is my family favorite actor
January 12, 2009
John Wayne as a fighting pharmacist - interesting enough the Duke's father was a chemist in real life. Another mediocre 'Republic' movie from Wayne - not that any fault can be laid at his feet. It's hard to put your finger on what exactly is going on until just before the last act - when the typhoid epidemic breaks out.
½ July 9, 2007
Remember this to be a good movie,, funny...
July 4, 2007
not interested at all
½ January 16, 2007
Sorry but i was never a John wayne fan !!!!!
December 3, 2006
I would like to see this, i think...
April 25, 2006
looks borin but i still wanna see it