In Our Nature - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Our Nature Reviews

½ September 26, 2014
If you want to see fairly good acting with mildly interesting characters, in a movie where nothing happens, you could watch this.The entire movie evolves around the various people getting to know each other and exchanging their philosophies on life. The son and his girlfriend find out who they really are as do the father and his ladyfriend finding out they really are.Most of the dialogue is pretty credible.
July 7, 2014
In our Nature a dramatic tale about a son and father relationship that the son had not got over the ending of his father and mothers marriage breakup.
In most cases books that turn into movies are ok but this should have stayed a book if it was a book.
Its a straight forward dram tale and does not have anything special no action etc..
This movie is not rated but i would say its for the adults only.
Its plane and flat lines all through the movie.
½ September 22, 2013
After watching this movie I still have no idea why the father and son were so estranged, and overall the film lacked emotion which it desperately needed.
½ July 7, 2013
For an independent drama with only four characters set in the woods, the film flows nicely, allowing enough character development and spot on performances to allow for thorough engagement. Slattery defines a separated father, both tiptoeing around his son whom he hardly sees and taking out his aggravations, misplaced or not. His connection to the material is undeniable, bringing to life certain lines like "why can't you be happy for me" and a scene involving marijuana and Jena Malone. The only actor who lets his performance slide is Gilford, whose blank stares and quiet deliveries make for an uneven and almost stale exhibition. However, the ladies cover this up as best they can, with a more involved approach, stealing the show several times. Calm and quaint like the characters' surroundings, "In Our Nature" is a strong emotional drama exploring the differences and similarities between blossoming relationships in the era of divorce that we live in. There's no need for melodrama or heightened realities, no extremes or unexpected twists, just life, begging the question how much this relates to the director's life. Pleasant and never boring, Savelson sets the bar high for a follow-up.
May 25, 2013
A simple and well-crafted character drama about relationships and the expectations, choices, and regrets that come with them.
½ April 17, 2013
Meh. Actors good. Film just meh.
½ March 3, 2013
"In Our Nature" a well crafted little indie flick, but a little derivative at times. I respected the slow pace and realist dialogue-driven conflicts. "In Our Nature" is very much a film about what we do and don't say, and how those actions and non-actions are interpreted by those around us. The film looks at human need and interaction in a sometimes obvious way, but the performances back up the film's themes well.
February 7, 2013
Not the best dysfunctional film you'll ever see, but certainly not the worst either. I did enjoy the acting in this film and felt it was natural especially in the awkward moments. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone view it with elders. Conservatives either.. Although, with an open mind it could help one to realize the important things in life. No matter the issue, a lot of conflicts have little importance when it comes down to it. Especially family or more importantly love. Value can be found in this film.
December 7, 2012
beautiful film with a great cast.
December 6, 2012
Wow. A movie built for the sentimental family types who enjoy those crappy family movies.
December 6, 2012
Saw it at the Woodstock Film Festival - fantastic movie, fantastic cast.
½ November 30, 2012
Harry Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle" kept running through my head...all actors gave great performances and each were very believable. I really enjoyed the movie it does not get stuck in Hollywood's rather boring formulaic neat happy movie.
½ April 21, 2012
Would make a better play. Fun to hear director and jena talk after movie. The bear was the best part and John had all of the best lines.