In Search of a Midnight Kiss - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Search of a Midnight Kiss Reviews

½ July 17, 2014
A strong original opening, followed, as so many romcom scripts are, by a story that asks you to suspend disbelief just a little too high, but whose tightrope is persuasively walked by its passionate cast.
March 2, 2014
Surprising how much two people can accomplish after knowing each other for what seems like 2/3rds of a day.
January 22, 2014
Jesus H Christ ! I really can't remember any character committed to celluloid being even half as annoying and grating as Vivian. After a decent start following 29 year old Wilsons looking for Love online the film became unwatchable with the introduction of mouthy, shallow, thick as shit and impossible to like Vivian. Literally within seconds of her first first lines I knew the film was beyond recovery and minutes later we switched it off
November 10, 2013
Okay, like others, I found the characters to be insultingly banal and nearly turned this off part way in. A lot of over-the-top cussing seemed a lazy way of spicing up the film. But at some point, this viewer began to find sympathy for the characters. Yes, the script is unpolished. Yes, the actors are not ever going to find work in studio Hollywood. And, yes, the story is a little bit hokey. But so help me, it works on some level. I think the turning point was the psychotic ex-boyfriend and his hilarious rant over what he was going to do to Wilson (Scoot McNairy). (Scoot? Really? I mean, seriously? What kind of name is Scoot?) At that point, this viewer was ready to give in to the madness and let this puppy take me wherever it seemed to be heading. Think Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, but with Craigslist as the cupid, and New Years Eve in LA as the backdrop. This one goes it one better with a bittersweet ending that makes as much sense as the rest of it. I think I liked the music better here, too. (Watched in December, 2009)
½ September 18, 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Reminded me of Before Sunrise. Two people meet and talk and spend new years day and night together. Good dialogue, funny.
½ September 14, 2013
Depois de experimentar o pior ano de sua vida, Wilson não vê motivos para festejar o Ano Novo. Entretanto, após ser convencido por seus amigos a colocar um anúncio no jornal, ele conhece uma mulher que está à procura do homem certo para passar a meia-noite.
½ September 13, 2013
A short but more cynical than sweet indi romantic comedy. A little reminiscent of Linklater's 'Before' trilogy and although it is well written it is not quite the same quality.
September 8, 2013
Very reminiscent of the Before / After Sunset /Sunrise series, only artier, grittier and in black and white.
September 6, 2013
There's an awful lot of walking and talking in this movie, but when it's this funny, filthy and romantic you'll be hard pressed to notice
August 31, 2013
I didn't find these characters charming, quirky, or even interesting. Why this film got such a high rating, I'll never know. It was rather flat, as were the singers in the songs on the soundtrack.
January 14, 2013
This film caught my eye a while ago and i've been waiting to get a hold of it as it didn't come to the cinema near me. Finally watched it last night & it didn't diasapoint. I loved the two main characters. The way Vivian's outlook changed throughout the time she spent with Wilson was really nice. Some good dialogue, a lot of it seemed improvised. Some really funny stuff, the confession on the balcony was hilarious. And the answer machine scene was pretty moving. I will be telling people about this film.
December 15, 2012
I saw this movie last year at the AFI Film Fest. I really enjoyed it. Great dialogue, awesome scenery, shot in a great style. The girl is a little over the edge, but you felt for her. Totally would see it again!
½ November 24, 2012
love this kind of obscure indie talk-romance
November 16, 2012
great independent movie!!
October 22, 2012
Scott McNairy is becoming somewhat of a great actor and he was very good in this - it reminded me of a Woody Allen film and was atmpospheric and well made
August 21, 2012
interesting... take a walk with a stranger in new years eve...
½ August 21, 2012
Get past the cheap camera and we don't have good lighting black and white filter and there's a true charmer here. Maybe the character switches don't always make sense but on New Years not many people's actions do. The story is fun, the actors believable, and although its what would you do questions have been asked many times before, the impact is heavy, and my smile was real.
½ August 11, 2012
Offbeat Film, Realistic Romance, Bittersweet Aftertaste... Aren't those reasons enough to love this little film...