In the Army Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Army Now Reviews

August 12, 2016
Army people get this movie.
June 25, 2016
It's funny if you like classic Pauly Shore.
November 17, 2015
Funny but war propaganda gets old.
August 17, 2015
Fun Pauly Shore movie. Lori Petty is very good in it along with David Allen Greer. And Andy Dick actually is normal. The story is fun and that's what movies should be about. Another movie that grows on you.
October 21, 2014
Liked This As A Teenager, Wouldn't Think Much Or Care Less Now. Slap-Stick Jokes Grow Old Quickly.
½ August 20, 2014
Quite possibly one of the worst films of all time. I remember seeing it when I was young and still realized how dumb it was. It was in TV the other day I got a glimpse and wanted to jump off a ledge. Bad bad stuff here.
½ August 11, 2014
(First and only viewing - 9/9/2008)
June 2, 2014
Love this movie hope netflix get it soon
½ April 18, 2014
Consider me not a fan of Pauly Shore's half assed films of the mid 90s, because I can't watch nearly a half hour of it without laughing or finding it mind blowingly annoying.
Basically, slacker Pauly Shore and Andy Dick go to the army to earn money to open up a stero shop. Mischief and stupid screwball comedy ensues.
At least In the Army Now tried to present itself as kind of a comedy, unlike Bio Dome or Jury Duty. It didn't do a very good job, as I only watched around 45 minutes of it and didn't laugh once. Then again, I expected this from a Pauly Shore film. Stay clear of this stinker.
July 22, 2013
What is with all the hate?! I loved every second!
July 4, 2013
Yup. It's terrible. Though I occasionally found myself giggling at a few of Pauly Shore's stoner antics it doesn't excuse the absolute lack of a plot or any genuinely funny moments or characters.
June 16, 2013
One of the better Pauly Shore movies. Lovable losers, bunch of misfits kinda movie, good laugh, 'I like it a lot', even though it does have Andy Dick in it!
½ May 15, 2013
In the Army Now immediately points to the positive intentions of the film, namely the lead character Bones being another version of The Weasel and a great musical score which has the patriotic feel to it.

Of course, it suffers the expected flaws of a Pauly Shore comedy. In this case, it's mainly the screenplay which leaves the actors to work with lines that seem to fake and too rehearsed to be considered real by even a scientologist.
Also, the story ends up chronicling a cast of characters played by Pauly Shore in the lad who have a decent performance both comedically and even somewhat dramatically, but supported by Andy Dick and Lori Petty whose poor script lines leave them with the chemistry of a disgruntled ox and Silent Bob, as well as David Alan Grier who basically spends the duration of the film screaming like a damsel in distress without even a laugh.
But the main problem is that In the Army Now doesn't give Pauly Shore the oppurtunity to pursue his Weasel antics aside from the start of the story, and basically the entire film is one written by five writers which could have been performed by anyone, except since Pauly Shore was chosen the blame falls on him when in actuality he's the one person putting in sufficient effort to hold the story together with a mostly dramatic and at time comedic performance, and unfortunately it doesn't work because there's nobody there to help him and people are expecting a stupid comedy but get left with just plain stupidity with Pauly Shore's face on it.

On the plus side, there was surprisingly good action in its brief moments and in parts there is decent laughs, and as a whole it's a convincing war film with a decent lead from Pauly Shore in the dramatic sense, even though it isn't what you'd expect.
The production values are good and so is the musical score, and overall Daniel Petrie Jr.'s direction is decent, but it can't compare to his masterful film Toy Soldiers.

So In the Army Now is no weasel film or sufficiently funny comedy, but it's well made and has a decent lead, even though that's not what you'd expect or want.
April 23, 2013
Great Classic!! 0% on Rotten Tomatoes but what do they know!
April 15, 2013
One of my favorite movies of all time
March 21, 2013
great movie a must see more
½ March 19, 2013
Remember how Pauly Shore could sort of pass as tolerable in his earlier films. Now he's torture with this film marking the beginning of the end of his career.
March 6, 2013
0%!?!?!?!?!! the morphine the better... that line alone is worth a 20% jump. an honestly I am a bit dissapointed with the audience rating. its obviously not for critics but hell a 0%?!?!?! and a 46%!?!? its at least a 75% audience
February 24, 2013
I don't remember this movie. I like Son in Law as my go-to Pauly Shore flick.

..Doesn't everyone have a go-to Pauly Shore flick?
February 3, 2013
this movie us funny as hell!!!!!!