In the Bedroom Reviews

• Sep 02, 2018

this movie is an emotional rollercoaster in a good way. good showcase of the human psyche under heavy amounts of emotion

• Jun 18, 2018

This story of a couple whose son is killed before really starting his life is beginning to get a lot of buzz. In fact, Sissy Spacek just won the 2001 American Film Institute Award for Best Actor - Female - Movies for her portrayal of Ruth Fowler, the mother. The articles I have read and TV I have seen surrounding this movie made it too intriguing to miss. Too bad the movie wasn't interesting enough to warrant seeing it before it goes to cable. Don't get me wrong. In the Bedroom is not a BAD movie. Especially compared to a lot of the crap that has been out in the last year (i.e. Bandits and Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius). The story kept my attention even though the content was devastating and the dialogue was painstakingly slow. I really did feel, as a parent, for the mother and father in the movie after having lost their only son to such a tragic event. However, there are some basic problems with the movie that were just to large for them not to be considered detrimental to the film. Primarily the problems stemmed from the dialogue and the flow of the movie. Though very natural and well-acted, the dialogue had too many points of silence. Too many unnatural periods where the characters either ignore the fact that the other character is speaking or are pausing needlessly before responding. Kubrick did this in his films too, but it didn't wear on me as it did in this film. I understand that I am supposed to think about the situation from the perspective of the grieving parents, but cmon. No one waits THAT long to respond to interaction, if they even choose to interact at all. I'm really not sure what the point was and it was just flat out irritating. My brother would tell me that I was wanting something spoonfed to me, which is not what GOOD movies do. However, I could have had a LITTLE more interaction between the characters without SO MUCH silence. I don't think the movie would have been compromised at all. What I did like about the movie though is that it did NOT have your typical Hollywood ending, though there were many times it was leading in that direction. I truly thought that the movie was going to express how much the grieving father would have wanted to seek revenge for his son's death, but when it came down to it, he wanted to turn a negative into a positive and take care of the children left behind as a result of the tragedy. The good thing is, the movie did not do that. The father did what every guy in that audience wanted him to do. He killed him. That was nice. In addition, I like the subtle way that shortly after Sissy Spacek tells her husband that he never shows any emotion, he proceeds to carry out his VERY meticulous plan to avenge his son until the last minute when his emotions overcome him and he kills the guy anyway before he had planned. For those of you who enjoy Hollywood endings, this movie is not for you. It does not sugarcoat anything for you. It is very natural in that respect. It is very much real life. In addition, some of you may look at the movie as not truly ending, which is a pet peeve of many movie goers, including my wife. However, as my brother said, the movie sticks with the natural part of the story where something like this never truly leaves you. It never truly ends and so the movie should reflect that. And it did. In any case, it's a pretty good movie, just not as good as many are making it out to be. If you have any hesitation whatsoever, wait for this one on cable.

• Feb 24, 2018

To have been taken from a short story, the movie is definitely too long. It is very realistic and quietly dramatic, but from the same director I liked "Little Children" way more then this one.

• Jun 12, 2017

Too slow for me. Did everyone take a sleeping pill before going on set?

Too slow for me. Did everyone take a sleeping pill before going on set?

• Feb 15, 2017

Intense, sad and quiet realistic in how handle a delicate subject like grief, In the Bedroom is well directed movie full of great performances. (4/5)

• Jan 15, 2017

A painful and realistic look at grief; Spacek & Wilkinson are outstanding.

A painful and realistic look at grief; Spacek & Wilkinson are outstanding.

• Sep 20, 2016

The pace will be slow for some; however, the overall product is solid in every facet and worth the time vested.

• Jul 09, 2016

I sat down to watch an old movie that I heard about many moons ago when it was first out it was all the buzz. Hold on tight as this movie does not pull any punches. It starts off slow and for a movie that runs over two hours you would want it to progress quickly. This movie's subject matter is not for the kiddies at all. It is not light it does not have any comedy whatsoever. It is dry and straight forward like a novel being read. For a movie that was made in 2001, it is very relevant for today even this last week. As this movie touches on domestic violence in relationships and guns. If you want a movie that will make you think then this is the one for you. There is no doubt why this won so many awards at the time. Love it or hate the movie it will make you take notice of the issues. Normally after a movie, I do not get a headache but I got one after watching this movie it is not because I did not like it I did enjoy it even if it was dry. The performances that were in this movie was all A+++ The entire cast played their roles perfectly. Watch the movie with your partner and you may have something to talk about and think about. The movie is not suitable for the kids.

• Jul 05, 2016

Excellent. The underlying vibe of the movie, and Tom Wilkinson is captivating.

Excellent. The underlying vibe of the movie, and Tom Wilkinson is captivating.

• Feb 22, 2016

To say In the Bedroom is atmospheric is a big understatement. The locale sways the mood every bit as much as this movie's top-notch actors. Its weak points are marginal, and the combination of elements makes for a very cohesive and beautiful translation of the written word into an absorbing viewing experience. It is one of the best grief portrayals I have seen in some time -- how everyday people contend with the trivialities of life alongside the looming presence of bereavement; and how grief redefines everything it touches, including how we interact with others.