In the Bleak Midwinter (A Midwinter's Tale) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Bleak Midwinter (A Midwinter's Tale) Reviews

December 29, 2013
Fantastic film - excellent cast and worth seeing - I love it! x
½ March 17, 2013
Delightful. Branagh steals several pages from Woody Allen's book in this precursor to Slings and Arrows. The lightning-speed line deliveries are at times incomprehensible, but otherwise a solid entry in the miniscule but magnificent movies-about-theatre genre.
January 21, 2013
I remember loving this when it first came out. If only I could track down a DVD to rewatch...
December 25, 2012
A little seen movie. A heart warming and very funny comedy by a fine director Kenneth Branagh. Fine a copy and enjoy.
March 13, 2012
A great companion to Hamlet.
½ January 20, 2012
A brilliant comedic look into the lives of a rag tag group of actors stumbling upon the shakespearian stage. Featuring the directing talent of Kenneth Branagh, quick one liners, and possibly the most awkward audition scene in cinema (besides Waiting For Guffman of course).
½ January 14, 2012
Unusual comedy of pathetic English characters producing a bizarre terribly arty version of Hamlet. Quite amusing!
June 9, 2011
"Au beau milieu de l'hiver"
September 4, 2010
Not out on DVD as far as I know... Needed to see this tonight - Hamlet cheers me up. If you've done small scale THEA-TAH with big scale egos you'll love it. A definate companion piece to "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead." Come over and I'll dust off the VCR and pop it in...
February 1, 2010
Kenny Branagh's film is flawed, the timing and pitch are off, but it's on my favorites list. I attribute this mostly to its purpose as a trip down memory lane for a particularly tragi-comedy turning point in my life. I was a few years done with having lived this film, and my old-school best friend Michael Maloney stars in this. He also informed me that there a couple of moments and a few smatterings of character traits which were based on me but refuses to divulge which ones. The bitch.

Definitely for those of us who dedicated years to Shakespeare and the boards.
½ November 7, 2009
Oh, what a lovely comedy!
March 17, 2009
One of the best way to portrait amateur actors. With a little bit of Hamlet and a lot of (self) irony! For those like comedians.
½ January 13, 2009
It seems his performance in CELEBRITY wasn't Kenneth Branagh's first riff on Woody Allen; from the simple white-type-on-black opening credits backed by jaunty old music & the alphabetical cast list, to the black and white lensing & the million-miles-an-hour dialogue, I expect this is what we'd see from Woody if he'd grown up in the English theatre. Punctuated with cracking and often hilarious dialogue, vivacious performances and, refreshingly, an elegiac sense of the passing of a dying art, as well as the "show must go on" aesthetic. Branagh has clear affection for his characters, and anyone who's been involved in theatre in any way will see themselves here. As for everyone else, if you're willing to keep up, you'll have a great time. Stacks of fun.
October 14, 2008
hilarious...smart....and horribly entertaining.
½ September 24, 2008
September 6, 2008
saw it in 1998. disappointed. but i suppose it has some good. the fact that it has a 4.5 star rating on flixster (based on 153 ratings) makes me think it might be worth seeing again.
½ September 3, 2008
I adore this film...although I can understand why some might loathe it. However if you've ever worked or known anyone that has worked in amateur theatre, you will love it. I just can't believe that it still has never been released on DVD! (join the campaign facebook group if you can't believe it either)

A true British gem.
July 21, 2008
A great companion to Hamlet.
July 13, 2008
This is very luvvie...but I still have a soft spot for it! Wouldn't mind seeing it again, but I don't think it's been released to DVD anywhere. It does turn up on CBC TV every once in awhile.