In the Bleak Midwinter (A Midwinter's Tale) Reviews

• Mar 17, 2013

Delightful. Branagh steals several pages from Woody Allen's book in this precursor to Slings and Arrows. The lightning-speed line deliveries are at times incomprehensible, but otherwise a solid entry in the miniscule but magnificent movies-about-theatre genre.

• Jan 21, 2013

I remember loving this when it first came out. If only I could track down a DVD to rewatch...

• Dec 25, 2012

A little seen movie. A heart warming and very funny comedy by a fine director Kenneth Branagh. Fine a copy and enjoy.

• Mar 13, 2012

A great companion to Hamlet.

A great companion to Hamlet.

• Jan 14, 2012

Unusual comedy of pathetic English characters producing a bizarre terribly arty version of Hamlet. Quite amusing!

• Dec 25, 2011

A brilliant comedic look into the lives of a rag tag group of actors stumbling upon the shakespearian stage. Featuring the directing talent of Kenneth Branagh, quick one liners, and possibly the most awkward audition scene in cinema (besides Waiting For Guffman of course).

• Jun 03, 2011

"Au beau milieu de l'hiver"

"Au beau milieu de l'hiver"

• Sep 04, 2010

Not out on DVD as far as I know... Needed to see this tonight - Hamlet cheers me up. If you've done small scale THEA-TAH with big scale egos you'll love it. A definate companion piece to "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead." Come over and I'll dust off the VCR and pop it in...

• Feb 01, 2010

Kenny Branagh's film is flawed, the timing and pitch are off, but it's on my favorites list. I attribute this mostly to its purpose as a trip down memory lane for a particularly tragi-comedy turning point in my life. I was a few years done with having lived this film, and my old-school best friend Michael Maloney stars in this. He also informed me that there a couple of moments and a few smatterings of character traits which were based on me but refuses to divulge which ones. The bitch. Definitely for those of us who dedicated years to Shakespeare and the boards.

• Mar 17, 2009

One of the best way to portrait amateur actors. With a little bit of Hamlet and a lot of (self) irony! For those like comedians.