In the Good Old Summertime - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Good Old Summertime Reviews

February 25, 2016
Extremely pleasant musical adaptation of THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER, with Judy and Van a fun romantic comedy team; the great silent comedian Buster Keaton has a rather thankless supporting role.
½ July 28, 2015
Light, but enjoyable musical. When Judy Garland is on top of her game, she is great. This may not be her masterpiece, but it's still charming and she shines in everything she does.
November 29, 2014
Love it, four of Hollywood's best known and loved actors of all time. Shop Around the Corner with music, what more could you ask for!?
½ August 8, 2014
I never saw the original Shop Around the Corner but I thought this one was well done. Judy Garland was so darn cute. I thought the lead actors complimented each other nicely. Such a cute story and got some laughs. Not my favorite Judy Garland film but love it just the same and sure I will be watching it again. :)
½ June 24, 2014
Love this story!! Before "you've got mail" there was this gem!
½ March 9, 2014
Judy Garland is dazzling! All of the music in the film is beautiful, and a lot of the songs are old classics. My favorite scene is Judy singing and dancing to "I Don't Care". (First and only viewing - 1/26/2014)
½ February 22, 2014
'Psychologically I'm very confused, but personally I feel just wonderful.'
½ February 11, 2014
So toll! Die Songs sind gut eingebettet in diesem Musical, ach ich liebe einfach diese "Shop around the Corner" Geschichte!
November 21, 2013
A forgettable, routine romantic comedy.
August 25, 2013
Enjoyable and I always enjoy Judy Garland.
February 6, 2013
One of the loveliest films I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

Great chemistry between Garland and Johnson that sizzles towards the end; as he realises she is the woman who he exchanges letters with we watch as he falls in love with her, and likewise with Garland's Veronica Fisher as she makes the discovery.

The film is set in a music shop and we are treated constantly to musical numbers throughout. Garland's performances are as usual strikingly touching. Great use of subtle but effective comedy in the film also.

If you enjoy the remake 'You've got mail' then give this version a go, I guarantee it shits all over it.
December 17, 2012
'the shop around the corner re-made as a musical.
November 24, 2012
Judy Garland is great in this & the story is sweet.
June 15, 2012
Based on The Shop Around the Corner, this movie is just as entertaining. And of course, who doesn't love Judy Garland's voice?!
November 24, 2011
Great movie! Judy Garland is as radiant as ever in this film. The music in this film is catchy, and memorable. You'll want to watch it over and over!
½ September 11, 2011
Its cute.... just a good old film to watch nothing really more then that.
July 27, 2011
Absolutely terrific movie. Judy Garland happens to be absolutely flawless in every movie shes in! WORK! B
January 24, 2011
This is what I call a perfect romantic comedy musical. It has everything you wish a movie of this genre could have. It's funny, romantic, charming, great chemistry between the leading parts, great music and of course the talent of the one and only JUDY GARLAND... I think is definitely one of my favorite movies of her. By the way t the end you see Liza Minnelli freaking cute little girl!
½ January 5, 2011
Completely a favorite during the holiday time.
½ December 27, 2010
Lacks the humor, feeling and better performances of Shop Around The Corner and the musical numbers aren't even good enough to justify a remake.