In the Heart of the Sea Reviews

• Oct 25, 2020

This is an action filled, entertaining movie. Very good. Don't understand the low reviews.

• Sep 21, 2020

Hemsworth deliveries a character that you care about and want to see his evolution. The plot is ok, you get encouraged and curious...the whale is an unbeatable force but the encounters are so so.

• Aug 22, 2020

Though I found the many other negative reviews helpful (but wrong), this movie surprised me as both captivating and moving. It is certainly not Moby Dick, an epic (nor does it claim to be), but a historically informed, fictional account of the novel's inspiration. As an epic maker, it exceeded my expectations in plot, character development, cinematography, and vision -- highly recommended!

• Aug 21, 2020

It was good at the start! but then.. the story was getting really flat with no more emotions. The cast is good we have Thor, Spiderman, the Shelby brothers and even Caetlyn Stark.. what a waste of cast we don't see any character devolopment after the first 30min

• Aug 15, 2020

The book was heavily based on fact. The movie was heavily based on not-fact. As the old joke goes - this is a true story, only the facts have been changed! And the whale following them for three months before finally giving a 'knowing look'! Embarrassing!

• Aug 10, 2020

I really like how they told the story. It was really easy to follow. There was Action, Drama and Adventure. Those are all the good aspects of a movie. You also learn a lesson to have respect for sealife.

• Aug 03, 2020

This retelling of the Moby Dick story has compelling performances and stylish visuals, but sometimes the cgi is very exaggerated, and the narrative never reaches the ambition it aspires to reach.

• Aug 02, 2020

I loved this movie. True story told with epic cinematography, fantastic acting, and dramatic score. If you liked all the beautiful ships in Pirates of the Caribbean, you could watch this just for the ships alone. I don't understand why the critics hated it. Does it not fit some Hollywood formulaic mold? Good. True stories don't always have perfect character arcs, and calling these characters one dimensional is just delusional. We're they watching the same movie I watched? It is a tragedy from a more brutal age, depicting the hunting and killing of whales, and perhaps that offends some environmentalist's sensibilities. I would love to see how this movie was made, bringing to life a great sail-powered ship from the early 1800's, with great attention to detail.

• Jun 29, 2020

In the Heart of the Sea is intended to be the true story that inspired the book Moby Dick, and from what little I know of that novel, I think this is a deviation from what Melville wrote (Not that it bothered me.) It tells the story of a group of whalers in the 1800s who run into some troubles when they are confronted by a giant white whale that is too much for them to handle. I found the movie quite intriguing as it shows how whale-hunting worked back in those days, and then showed the risks that could come with the work. It certainly helped that they cast so many great actors in the film, because they were able to elevate what could have been a more run-of-the-mill adventure on the high seas. It is brutal and hard to watch at times, but I think that’s the point of the story. Aside from some of the more unpleasant things that happen in the film, it was also hard to watch at times because the CGI left something to be desired. I know filming on the water is a logistical nightmare, and they certainly can’t train a bunch of whales of this size, so CGI was the only way to go with a lot of these shots. I only wish they had spent a bit more time making some of these effects seamless. They are able to hide some of it with darkness and rain, but there are many scenes where the artificiality of everything threatened to take me out of the movie. I thought it was interesting what they decided to include when writing In the Heart of the Sea, because there is an ending to the story that feels final enough to be satisfying. However, the movie doesn’t just want to explore the disaster that occurs in the film, but also how corporations would handle this kind of thing. (Hint: it’s not all that different than how corporations would act now, as they are always looking out for their bottom line.) I like that added layer to the story, and it made the film seem more relevant. I think one of the reasons that this movie didn’t do so well in theaters is that people expected the whale to be a central figure in the story, and they expected Chris Hemsworth to be a pseudo-Captain Ahab, since it results in the book we know as Moby Dick. However, In the Heart of the Sea is more concerned with the crew, and the whale is merely a mechanism to get events moving forward. Perhaps that’s why a later scene, when things have somewhat changed between the crew and the white whale, felt a bit awkward and out-of-place. It seemed like they were trying to make the whale more of a character in that moment, which I don’t think they earned. Otherwise, I was whole-heartedly invested in this film, and I think In the Heart of the Sea was a good surprise that was better than the reviews implied.

• Apr 22, 2020

A must see movie . . . How men courage could concour the nature , I think it deserve to be listed in top 100 of all time