In the Heart of the Sea Reviews

• Aug 18, 2019

Ron Howard does a fantastic job adapting Nathaniel Philbrick's book for the screen. For his part, Philbrick has a unique talent for unearthing the high-stakes drama of historical events with careful research and attention to the facts. Howard deftly employs this same attention to detail in the film to deliver a compelling story about survival. The reviews which knock this film for lacking enough action or grand scope miss the point entirely. First, the cinematography is fantastic with incredible visuals throughout and there is plenty of action. But more importantly, at no point does Howard try to create anything beyond what was real. In this way, each moment the danger is grounded in a world that we understand and the stakes remain high. It is wonderful to see a movie about true events that not only stays faithful to actual events, but where that fidelity is the very thing which pushes the viewer to lean in and feel it.

• Aug 14, 2019

Poxa, nota baixa, eu achei o filme bem divertido! Passa tão rápido que nem percebi. Não é nada de épico incrível, mas diverte. E o 3D tem uma profundidade bem legal!

• Aug 01, 2019

Read the book, its much better.

Read the book, its much better.

• Jul 22, 2019

Despite "just being" Moby Dick, this felt deeply original. It was a true movie and stands out in this day and age of the next sequel, prequel, reboot, and formulaic super hero time waster. It felt like real life, showing real men stuck in a real life or death situation, always struggling between what it takes to survive and what it takes to remain human. It's a movie with restraint, and for those with an attention span it's a classic. I plan to add it to my physical collection.

• Jul 08, 2019

I was going to write a long review detailing what is wrong with this movie. Instead I'll save both of us time and say, "Just read the book."

• Jun 24, 2019

Oofff... This one upset me. I honestly walked into this one feeling like it was going to be the most amazing thing, ever: Great book and an amazing trailer that showed it was equally as intense and detailed… but, unfortunately, Ron Howard proved, yet again, he's no longer a director with a vision or courage. He's a studio shill who phones it in, cuz he's wealthy enough not to care. If you were lucky enough to read the book, you'd know the source material was incredibly detailed, adventurous and weighted with life & death emotional struggle. For the Love of Pete, it's a true story of men lost at sea who brutally murder and eat one another. (as well, its about the vengeful prick whale that put them in that situation.) Buuuut, ol' Opie (Ron) managed to water all the real-life dramatic stuff away to deliver a product that you can't wait to end so you can get back home to hit your head against the wall. Ron Howard has now solidified himself as only being capable of creating subpar schlock that is guaranteed to leave you feeling like you've been ripped off (can't really blame him… he learned that from ‘Happy Days'). Maybe its cuz he's too old to be expected to take risks. However, he was Producer & Director, which gave him final say on everything. But, he knows he's getting paid no matter what, so why not keep everything easy and safe. Its really too bad. It had SO much potential to be great. And the studio destroyed another potential gem. Let's hope he'll prove me wrong with ‘Solo' or the ‘DaVinci Code' films...

• May 15, 2019

A masterpiece that was going to happen

A masterpiece that was going to happen

• Nov 14, 2018

Very good production with good special effects. Oh if whales had been all that good, they'd be less endangered today.

• Nov 04, 2018

In the heart of the sea speechless amazing movie Tom Holland was awesome and epic it's a 100% certified fresh

• Oct 28, 2018

This movie is ok but I suggest go back and watch Moby Dick (1956) afterwards and you'll see what true great film making is. This CGI laden film is interesting enough and tells the story behind the novel but the characters don't sing out like they do in Moby Dick itself.