In the Land of Blood and Honey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Land of Blood and Honey Reviews

September 25, 2016
War is never the answer :-(
½ March 26, 2016
In Angelina's Jolie directing debut was well made not as bad as I would think. Pretty good, surprised me at times of how really good it was in parts of it, slow sometimes but this appeared to be character building, I hope Angelina Jolie keeps writing and directing movies in the years to come. So for this being a solid movie with a great first time directing by Jolie, I give " In The Land Of Blood And Honey " a C-.
March 4, 2016
Mica male la Jolie regista. Ogni volta che mi capire di vedere un film sul conflitto jugoslavo fa impressione pensare che certe atrocità siano accadute a due passi da noi.
February 26, 2016
Fits a complicated story into a tight timeline, with a vrey poignant, if somewhat tenuous love story at the fore. Very moving.
February 13, 2016
Vedrana Rudan - Croatian writer writes: "I wonder if Angela Jolie would dare to make a film about the love between an American soldier and an Iraqi woman whose entire family was killed by the American army?"
December 2, 2015
It is admirable the dedication of Angeline Jolie to something she believes in so ardently, but even though her movie is well directed and holds a strong impact in its intended message, the characters are poorly developed and remain a puzzle until the very end.
August 20, 2015
It implied she was pregnant in the end. You see a close up of danijel's eyes, then you see her painting his eyes, and when they back out of the painting, you see she has painted a young man with danijel's eyes and her curly dark hair. This implies she was pregnant and painting what she thought their child was going to look like.
January 28, 2015
Jolie's directorial debut, "In The Land Of Blood and Honey," tells the horrific real life story of the massacre of the Bosnians by the Serbians throughout the 1990s while the world watched and did nothing. As much passion as Ambassador Jolie has for fighting against crimes against humanity, one would hope she would have not focused the story around an underdeveloped romance between a Romeo and Juliet styled couple. The main character's tale was at times distracting and unnecessary, as well as heartbreaking, making the like-ability of the plot line a little confusing. While her intentions are good and her execution (at times) brilliant, the overall film seems to miss its mark by the conclusion, leaving the viewer wanting more than was given. However, bravo to Angelina Jolie, because this movie is a terrific first outing in the field of directing.
January 15, 2015
For a first time directorial effort, it may not be Reservoir Dogs, but it's one heck of a melodrama. There's just enough focus on commentary and character to propel it beyond the level of a Lifetime movie, which this movie very well could've been. A genuinely good movie that I wished would've been great, but I wasn't at all disappointed.
½ November 30, 2014
Being Serbian since my birth ofcourse I'll despise this film. While it possess some thruths in it, for better understanding Bosnia-Croatia war, you'll have to broad your perspective, people. For instance in WWII, people fought against Nazi's, to say good guys vs bad guys. Here is not the case. While my countrymen from Bosnia did commit these nasty and horiffic acts, still what about our victims. In this war, there is good good side versus bad. All sides were victims and executors - each equal. That is a fact. But, this is the problem my people has. Movie is extremely one-sided. As I wrote for better understanding, enhance your perspective. Events shown are some form of twisted Romeo & Juliet and as such are purely fictional. It only has seeds of thruth. One journalist asked Rade Sherbedgia (actor from this movie): "Why we do not see other camps (referring to Muslims and Croats), he answered: "Lady, they are about 60 miles from here". That's why my countrymen hate this movie and who (including me) do not accept collective guilt this country currently holds. Utterly justified. When we will have a chance to show our perspective, our truth to the world, no one knows. Seems to me, as the things going, never.
Movie itself, is problematic. Angelina Jolie should've made some easier entry into directing, some easier form of narrative and story to chew. She didn't. She didn't even researched properly its subject matter. Such as: are all soldiers are wearing uniform, even on a date? There are other flaws: acting is bad, editing too, dialogues combined with English language(not-native for our actors) are simply awkward to listen; like movie is trying to spill all that bleakness on all aspects of this movie.
At the end, in this bloody and ghastly conflict, Serbians vs Bosniaks, Serbians vs Croats, Bosniaks vs Croats and vice-versa there have been made better films about. And there are being being in this region. And certainly not in Hollywood.
November 29, 2014
Love war films and I enjoy the story and the directing immensely. Very impactful.
October 16, 2014
Jolie's screenplay + directorial debut for a fictional feature. Good intentions (I guess) but mediocre.
½ September 28, 2014
Shitty. You see more rape than love.. I'm sure that if bosnian director had the money to make a movie would have done much better the Jolie did...
August 7, 2014
So powerful and wonderful acting!
May 2, 2014
Filme que fala sobre o conflito ocorrido na Bósnia na decada de 90 poderia e deveria ser um bom filme pelo menos, por que tinha em mãos um excelente material
March 11, 2014
I think the movie was well done, but overall didn't quite enjoy it.
½ February 7, 2014
A watchable directorial debut for Angelina Jolie.
½ February 4, 2014
i applaud angelina jolie. Beautifully filmed, acted and written.
January 31, 2014
It's so interesting/entertaining to see the negative reviews from American critics who probably have slim to no knowledge of the ex-yugoslavian war. Really, those of us who have had to live through modern day warfare that mainland dwelling/non-military Americans will never experience in their lives can only sit here and marvel at your stark lack of understanding of relationships of the people who were in these war zones.