In the Line of Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Line of Fire Reviews

November 22, 2016
If you want someone to play a grizzled old agent who used to be the best but has lost a step, it's hard to do much better than Clint Eastwood. And if you want a quirky but intelligent man, who proves himself to be a psycopath, there's no one better than John Malkovich. Those two casting decisions really make In the Line of Fire something special. I love their interplay with one another both on the phone and face to face. Some of the supporting cast (like Dylan McDermott) might have been a stretch, but this film is held aloft by the leads. The story is straightforward, a madman plans to assassinate the president and it's up to the Secret Service to stop him. What I found most interesting was the way they inserted a veteran agent who had experience with past assassinations, and then the killer becomes obsessed with that history. It adds some depth and stakes to the film beyond what you'd expect from a movie that explores these familiar tropes. The relationship with Rene Russo was definitely forced, and completely unnecessary. That whole subplot should have been cut out and it would have elevated the movie a lot. Aside from that, my only real complaint about In the Line of Fire is that you can see Eastwood's age in some scenes and it is a bit unbelievable when he gets into a fist fight and dominates. Otherwise, most of this film was a joy to watch as a quality action/thriller, and I would recommend it to fans of the genre.
October 18, 2016
Saw this at the pictures and was surprised how much I remembered 23 years on. Thought it was a good 'un then. I was right too.
October 13, 2016
Has some distinctly corny moments and one-liners, but was generally an interesting movie to watch
September 25, 2016
Estimables actuaciones de Eastwood y Malkovich en una trama de "carrera contra el reloj" a la que no le falla nada. Buena opcion para un fin de semana.
September 25, 2016
Eastwood vs Malcovich is how this should have been advertised. Catch me if you can kind of feel to the movie. The fact that Eastwood was the right age to have been a bodyguard for JFK makes this even more dramatic.
July 10, 2016
Your typical 90s action flick. J. Malkovich elevates the movie as well as E. Morricone's music. Suspence element makes it special.
½ May 17, 2016
Clint reminds me of my dad, I like all his stuff
½ April 21, 2016
You had a gun Frank........ Just shottt... Stupid agen... Now you lost Al
April 20, 2016
Without Clint Eastwood this movie just wouldn't work, with him it is one of the best thrillers of the 1990's.
April 14, 2016
Old school panta teleies taineies :)
Apolausi!!!
December 28, 2015
Not as good as it apparently is.
December 9, 2015
When talking about thrillers, I really don't know if I have seem a movie that has kept me on the edge of my seat since In the Line of Fire. This is an absolutely fantastic movie. The plot is pretty simple, there is a man who is plotting to kill the President, played by John Malkovich,and is taunting a Secret Service agent played by Clint Eastwood who is trying to prevent him from doing it. Take notes aspiring actors and filmmakers, this is what it looks like when great acting and filmmaking can take a simple concept and make it downright incredible to watch. The interaction between Eastwood and Malkovich is nothing short of brilliant. There is a point in the film where you will forget Malkovich is just an actor playing a role in a movie because he honestly was born to play this role. I can not see anyone else casted in this movie playing his character. Honestly, in the grand scheme of things this is one of the most underrated movies of all time. Both actors fit the roles brilliantly as the story plays out you can feel the tension building. Not only can you feel the tension getting thicker but you can feel Malkovich getting more psychotic with every scene, you cant take your eyes away from the screen while he is on. A great movie that I highly recommend to anyone who wants to be thrilled and stay on the edge of their seat the entire movie.
December 5, 2015
vaguely remember seeing this waybback then?
½ October 21, 2015
A tremendous performance from John Malkovich, that portrais one of the most amazing and intriguing villans that I have ever seen in a movie. Not that Clint Eastwood is less impressive, because when he is on the screen he is able to capitalize the attention on him like very few other actors in the history of cinema, but I think that without Malkovich this great movie would be shortened a lot in its epicness.
½ September 6, 2015
Eastwood's macho and Malkovich's melancholia entwine - we are at a spellbound. Brilliant movie and highly entertaining.
August 22, 2015
2015-08-22 pretty good, although the Rene-Clint relationship was a bit weak.
July 26, 2015
Just another Clint Eastwood classic... nuff said right there.
July 21, 2015
A straightforward Action Thriller staring Hollywood Legend Clint Eastwood as a key bodyguard for the President of the United States.

The film is basically the face off between criminal Genius played John Malcovich & Clint's character. It's predictable but throughly enjoyable also. Like catching up with an old friend.

The tension is thought out & the final climax is very interesting. No new ground is covered but Clint has such a presence on screen, it was directed by German turned Hollywood director Wolfgang Peterson who also made Neverending Story, Troy & others.
½ June 16, 2015
Eastwood vs. Malkovich psycological thriller. so good
June 9, 2015
Pretty much exactly what I thought it'd be. Malkovich (on the list w Ralph Fiennes for one of the most underrated actors of all time) performance is chilling, as we've all come to expect from him, and on the whole it saves this movies score.