In the Mouth of Madness Reviews

• Aug 06, 2019

Neat John Carpenter horror. Some funny moments, probably unintentional, due to the acting or campy moments, but also some creepy horror moments. A bit meta, a bit surreal. Short but sweet. I really enjoyed it actually, though it was no masterpiece.

• Aug 05, 2019

I enjoyed this despite its campy and sometimes silly execution. The acting isn't great nor is the cinematography exactly but the world of lovecraftian horrors is one of my favourite tropes. Years ago I read a thick collection of Lovecraft's writings and two of my favourite videogames ever are loosely based on his mythology, Eternal Darkness and Alan Wake. Alan Wake particularly plays out almost exactly like the plot of this movie, so I was very fond to go exploring its stygian darkness even if if didn't quite live up to how horrific the worlds of lovecraft are described. I loved the practical effects and John Carpenter movies have always held a revered place for me in horror history.

• Jul 26, 2019

Sam Neill was excellent in this. Halfway through the movie you start to question what's real and what's fictional just like the protagonist. I liked it.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jun 21, 2019

This one asks the question: what if Stephen King became a god because his devoted fanbase really believes in him, and believes in what he writes? Okay, I'll bite, so where does this go from there? While the film certainly is derivative of King's approach this film lacks having a point as King is wont to do sometimes. So yeah, the writing sucks, and sunk this work. Neill and Prochnow deliver worthy performances

• Apr 18, 2019

A pretty decent movie. Though I think that the effects may have been dated and a bit wonky back in 95, they certainly haven't aged that well. I also feel that the movie doesn't go far enough with the whole "What's reality?" question nor are the twists particularly astounding. John Carpenter has certainly done better with other movies. Still, it's a nice movie into the Lovecraftian genre.

• Apr 01, 2019

A plagiated poorly thought and executed version of basically half the stuff Lovecraft wrote. Ally that with references from The Exorcist, The Thing, Children of the Corn, The Omen, The Shining, Night of the Living Dead and every other original cult Horror book/movie written back then with Sam Neill's unconvincing and non-palpable performance and you have this garbage. I personally like J Carpenter but this is absolute uncreative thrash. 2 stars for referring and appreciation of Lovecraftian Mythos but thats all.

• Mar 04, 2019

An exceptional film from beginning to end, a fanatic psychological horror fantasy that really nails you to the back of the screen, a true John carpenter classic.

• Feb 16, 2019

This movie is an overlooked Carpenter classic. Do you read Sutter Cane? .. This is a road trip to a town from the novels of a Stephen King-esque horror author. A dark, twisted, psychological horror definitely worth checking out.

• Jan 13, 2019

Simply brilliant, because its scares, rather than coming from what’s shown, instead come from deep within the psyche. And Neil and Prochnow are absolutely perfect.

• Nov 01, 2018

Very good, love the theme. Had fun watching it and the very few jump scare aren't predictable so it was nice!