Incendies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Incendies Reviews

January 4, 2017
Gripping, devastating, shocking yet surprisingly tender. A story about the depths of a mother's love and her children's journey to know the truth about where they came from.
½ December 27, 2016
It's a bit too long and a bit melodramatic, but this is still the work of a director that leaves you wanting more.
December 27, 2016
I cannot possibly even begin to talk about this movie in depth without foreseeing a 15000-word essay as the end result -- so I decided to spare you.

Instead, let my rating speak for itself, and I exit solemnly, leaving you with the knowledge that if I could, I'd harvest the sky to thrust all the stars this galaxy has to offer upon this filmic miracle.
½ December 20, 2016
A great piece of art disturbs the comforted and comforts the disturbed.
½ December 8, 2016
Wow, just wow! 1+1=1
½ November 21, 2016
Oh. My. Glob. This thing started as a languidly sprawling tone piece, then steadily unraveled its mystery aspects to unveil an emotionally wrecking and stunningly beautiful portrayal of true love. The script is unbelievable, and Villeneuve's steady and patient hand never shows its cards. Just more proof that Denis is one of the best we have around right now.
½ November 13, 2016
A powerful story in the likeness of a Greek tragedy. Its structure is very similar and just like with all Greek tragedies, you can expect a true katharsis at the end. I had to bear with the SJW overtones and considered the pace a bit too slow, but the story stood strong nevertheless. Albeit I guess I read it quite opposite than intended. Rather than "love trumps all" I saw in it "you don't break the rules - they're there for a reason"
½ November 11, 2016
Really disappointed I didn't like this more, but maybe that's because I've been hyping it up forever. Villeneuve can do little wrong.
September 22, 2016
Incendies is such an overrated movie that isn't bad, but isn't particularly good either. It is such a basic story told in an ordinary way with totally underdeveloped characters and not a single plot point being remotely interesting. I was bored immensely by it and I have no interest in Vileneuve's work anymore after watching three of his biggest movies which were all to me a giant waste of time. Such an overrated, uninspired director.
September 14, 2016
"Nothing is more beautiful than to be together."
September 8, 2016
A must see. The ending made my jaw drop. Rarely does a film engage me from start to finish. This is what a great film is made of.
August 2, 2016
Powerful, deliciously disturbing film, remind me a lot of The Kite Runner.

Full of impressive acting and devastating emotional impact.
½ July 21, 2016
WOW...JUST WOW... A MOTHER'S LOVE IS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!
July 1, 2016
Perhaps it's fitting a that I finally watched this Masterpiece on Canada Day as it may be the finest Canadian film I have ever seen. It was nominated for an Academy Award for the Best Foreign Language film in 2011, and deservedly so, and likely would've won had it not been for another film that was my favourite of that year, "In a Better World". Denis Villeneuve does a masterful job with his direction and storytelling here, and his work of the last few years proves that he is probably the most talented Canadian director working today. I didn't know a lot about the story going in, and that is the best way to see it. My highest recommendation!
June 29, 2016
horrifying shocking conclusion and overall a powerful movie but the movie dragged a little bit.
½ June 23, 2016
3.5 - messed up ending man.. movie moved a bit slow paced for my liking, and not a fan of subtitled films tbh, but still could be worth a watch
June 18, 2016
4.2/5
If there is something that the movie does marvelously is maintaining the interest and the subtle intrigue in order to destroy every feeling of logical hope while still successfully maintaining a "good ending" from a more "family matters" point of view, as the story by the end doesn't seem as tragic as one once thought it was, and there is where the true magic of Incendies truly lies, even above all the magnificent visuals and the brilliant storytelling.
May 30, 2016
One of my favorite movies.
April 17, 2016
Gripping, dramatic and put together in an interesting and original way. Incredible acting all around, keeps you in this dirty universe, and hits you right in the guts.
April 10, 2016
An immensely intense piece of cinema...