An Inconvenient Truth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An Inconvenient Truth Reviews

½ September 29, 2016
Discredited propaganda
½ September 6, 2016
Educating people about global warming is an important topic for the survival of the human race, which is why I give it 2 1/2. But a lot of this doc takes forever to make its points. And Al Gore is possibly the worst spokesperson for this topic. Yes, he was an early advocate for regulation to reverse global warming, but he constantly comes across as an arrogant douche as if he thinks he himself is a scientist. Guess what Al, you're not a scientist. You need to give a hell of a lot more credit to the actual scientists who did all the hard work.
August 20, 2016
Global warming is b*llsh*t
July 2, 2016
4.25. Totally eye-opening
½ May 24, 2016
Intriguing perspective of one of many problems facing our current era today.
May 24, 2016
It took just 10 years to become a whole lot more inconvenient.
April 21, 2016
It's really just a recording of a lecture. I've sat through a lot of lectures. It'd need to be a really good lecture for there to be a film of it. Like, it'd need to be a really big deal, like, important and stuff. Like, maybe there's, like, a truth that we, like, need to face but, like, it is inconvenient for us? Like, maybe the world is dying or something and humanity could do a lot to resolve that. Also, maybe Al Gore is relevant again or something. Yeah, that would make a good lecture I guess.
½ April 13, 2016
This a Certified Fresh Rotten Tomato for me
½ December 5, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed. Understand this is a very simplified way to grasp whats happening. A great way for the masses to be introduced to global warming in a simplistic manner.
½ October 25, 2015
I find it hilarious people still cite this film as a reason to believe in man mad global warming. Literally every prediction in this film was wrong. Examples: The beaches in West Palm Beach, Florida were predicted to be underwater by the end of 2014, instead, the water level was reduced an average of 2 inches. Hurricane averages were suppose to be increased 300% by 2015. Instead they're down 49%. What's truly funny is Al Gore purchased a mansion on the beach in West Palm the same year this film came out. Why would he do that if it was suppose to be under water? Clearly he knew this was phony science and just wanted to make his millions off the global warming prediction business.

When will politics stop and common sense enter the environmental argument? Everyone wants clean air and water. That has nothing to do with climate change. The climates been changing since time began. It was warm, then we had the ice age, then it warmed up again. There were no evil oil companies back then, so what caused the massive cooling, then massive warming? It's called "distance from the sun". This is something we have NO CONTROL OVER. So let's stop the man made global warming lie, get politics out of environmental discussions and concentrate on the truth.
October 3, 2015
On paper this looks like a important wake-up call to ever indivdual, but as the tables are turned and we got to know that Al Gore himself had a house only powered by electricity, more than needed, the future of an inclosing encounter of super global warming seems rather like a straight road with a stop at the end, than a roundabout giving us legit alternatives.
September 18, 2015
Depends on who you believe but this is one well made doc.
September 1, 2015
After seeing a preview for this, I think this could definately be a good one.
½ June 13, 2015
I am totally okay with the facts. But do not appreciate Al Gore.
June 6, 2015
by Dane Youssef

"Armageddon. Judgment Day. The End Of Days. Coming Soon."

Pumping smoke stacks, puking exhaust pipes, fires burning, ice melting, deserts spreading... and most of the world turning a blind eye... until it hits them. Deserts are spreading. Icebergs are melting, shrinking. New diseases are developing. Old diseases are flourishing. Temperatures are sky-rocketing. Homes are being destroyed. Animal species are going extinct. People are actually dying...

The sky is a-blazing. It looks like desert heat all around. The ice age seems to be long over and now we're in a heat wave that shows no signs of ending. In fact, it all shows signs of worsening. At this rate, the future will resemble something like "Waterworld" or "I Am Legend."

He's flat-out told us again and again, "This is not a political issue. This is a moral issue."

AL GORE WAS THE MAN whom every democrat, every liberal-anyone with any common sense and taste was rooting to take first Presidential chair in 2001. The man received the Nobel Prize for World Peace. He received Vice-Presidency twice.

"INCONVENIENT TRUTH" has been a world-tour lecture, a book... and now a movie. And since then, probably a helluva lot more. Gore campaigns for saving the planet harder than he did for any political office. This is definitely a movie that needs to be seen-without question. And more than once to be totally understood. Memorized. Every last detail.

Now Moore's films are really editorials more than anything else. The Big Man delivers his opinion, his synopsis, his beliefs more than anything else.
Gore's movie is also one-sided, but more than the traditional documentary or even docudrama, "INCONVENIENT TRUTH" is more of an inflated PowerPoint presentation filmed live in concert by the former would-be President of the United States. But there is plenty of doc-footage incorporated that's wrapped around Gore's lecture. He shows us the progressive thawing that has occurred in places like Patagonia and Mt. Kilimanjaro. How massive heat waves have been taken place that feel like summer in Death Valley all-year around.
There are certain movies that should not be copyrighted at all, but rather in the public domain. Michael Moore allowed "Fahrenheit 9/11" to be put online and downloaded for free because he believed every person on the planet needed to see his message.

While it's billed as a documentary (or "docu-drama"), about 90% of "AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH" is flat-out PowerPoint lecture in the form of slides, rather than an actual documentary. Michael Moore has become to the documentary what... well, George Washington or Abraham Lincoln were to politics. And what Gore has always wished he could be. My mother said she's loved ever since the days when he was Clinton's right-hand man. She voted for him when he went after the presidency and was heartbroken when he was denied his rightful seat in office.

"INCONVENIENT TRUTH" is occasionally a documentary. Director Davis Guggenheim incorporates some footage of the personal trials in the man's life. His family that were tobacco farmers and how this cost him his only sister. The evil of the Red State Party. His son's near-death experience. And of course, the fact that the official seat of power was almost criminally denied to him in the year of our Lord, 2001.

There are even slides. Gore calls his presentation "a slide show." Now that doesn't seem like a high selling point. Power-point. Slide show. Environment. Not exactly something that describes the summer blockbuster, is it? And yet, this is not only one to see--it's a must-see. An absolute
must-see. Like the latest breaking news exclusive... it's necessary for the sake of your life, the lives of your loved ones, everyone else... the whole wide world itself.

Remember that awful summer blockbuster "Waterworld"? It was so bad, God Forbid that piece of over-budgeted tripe come true.

That one was all wet, but that was an absolute possibility? Hell, it could be even worse. None of the humans may make it at all. Not even
Kevin Costner and Dennis Hopper.

But "INCONVENIENT TRUTH" doesn't just keep on the impending global end as the movie interrupts to shine on the former vice-president's personal life: his loss of the presidency, his son's near-death experience, his childhood home and the memories he made there.

Gore's daughter Kristen, writes for the science-fiction cartoon "Futurama" and Gore even uses a clip from an episode on global warming to illustrate his power-point all the further. Hell, it practically defines the term "Power-Point." No, it's not as enthralling as a Moore pic. But it's certainly more interesting and informative that the standard boilerplate college geography/science class. And Gore shows us as always, America is "by far, the biggest contributor to the problem." Speaking personally as an American, why is that always the case?
And those docudrama scenes are sprinkled with just a hint of the right dramatic music. 99% of the movie, which is the photographed multimedia lecture has no music on the soundtrack--probably so we can focus on Gore, his Power Points ... and we, the people can draw our own conclusions from the facts he give us.

When Gore talks of his childhood spent on the tobacco farm, he gives me a line that filled me with jealousy: "As a kid, it took me a long time to figure out the difference between play and work." Yeah, rub it in, Al. Rub it in.

After this, one feels he should be elected God. Of everything. Well, at least our personal hero. I laughed when I read this professional review from Mick La Sale of the San Francisco Chronicle remarking, "The camera has never loved Gore, but something is going on in "An Inconvenient Truth," and that's the other big story here. Gore has come back on the scene heavier, older and a lot more likable, physically transformed in a way as to allow people to see him as if for the first time. After years of looking like Clark Kent without the glasses, Gore looks like a heavyset mensch. Moreover, the change seems to be more than surface."

It's not that the camera really hates Gore. It's that the microphone doesn't really love him. The man has no energy. He always seems to be sedated, under the influence of an overdose heavy Valium. Albert Gore does not have an enthralling show presence. On stage, he tends to come off rather fuddy-duddyish. Dull. He never really electrifies. Gore is a bore. Usually.

Now a handful of folk have hated this film. We're not meant to please everybody, are we? I'm the kind of person who believes if you are pleasing everybody, you're doing something wrong. Gore comes across as a Harvard college professor giving a lecture-but maybe that's all this movie needs to be. And in the end, "INCONVENIENT TRUTH" made me assured that I made the right choice voting for him twice. Even though somehow we all knew Lucifer and Rosemary's Demon Seed was going to win. After this movie... I think just about anybody would put this man in office. If not in the White House, then maybe the head of Greenpeace.

George W. still resents Gore for daring to threaten his attempt at the Presidency-following in his father's footsteps. And so do all of we. It's worse than mere melting of the polar ice caps. Yes, there have been floods-a lot of them. But excuse me for saying so, that is just the tip of the iceberg. We hear about how people in hotter climates of the world (Africa, Egypt, India, etc.) are dying of heat exposure. We see there is drought as well as flood.

Gore, director Guggenheim and co. could have literally just layed a lot of music on the soundtrack to force the "right opinion" on us. But damn them, they let us have our own opinion. There could have been a lot more newsreel footage with a lot of pop music on the score-as well as a lot of biased commentary telling us "what is" like the thrilling, infamous (but often perjurious) docudramas of Michael Moore. But Gore and his crew try to let the statistics speak for themselves. Gore has never come across as enthralling or charismatic... at least now until now... somehow.

But Gore is not the only politician in this movie. We hear from the other-side, the red-state, right-wing "bad guys" who attempt to silence the plea to stop "the end of the world as we know it"-that's right, largely Republicans and Capitalists who know that the companies causing the Greenhouse Effect and the End of the World are also causing wealth, power and employment. And want more than anything else-ANYTHING NOT to cause a panic among the American people.

Well, Gore wins our love as much as he did when-no, MORE than he did when he ran for the Presidency solo. Now we love him. And Gore makes
the star of this movie--the worsening environmental crisis-not himself. Though a politician first, he does make some personal plugs. He manages to shoehorn in a lot of his personal life into the picture numerous times-like a bumper in-between commercial breaks. Perhaps this a must-we should have some affection for the messenger.

Now normally when I review a film, I try to not to give away the ending. But in this particular case, the ending is still being written. By us. If only he really had taken home the Oscar. Contrary to popular belief, he really just showed to up to take it home to director Davis Guggenheim. Too bad. Losing the US presidency and taking home the US Academy Award six years later would have the perfect poetic justice.

As as for "Waterworld" realized-- come on, this is all inevitable- and it all seems to be COMING SOON. The "End of Days.*" Maybe in the end, all we can do is postpone it.

--As Always, Dane Youssef

*Hell, that would have been a great title for this movie if it wasn't snapped up by that crummy Schwarzenegger flick.
½ June 3, 2015
Although Al Gore lost to George Bush in the 2000 election, he is still a critical figure in the twenty-first century world. Despite not becoming president, Gore did have the opportunity to be the herberd of global warming awareness. In An Inconvenient Truth, the protagonist Al Gore informs the viewer as if the viewer is seated in Gore's global warming presentation. Gore speaks to and informs the audience of the presentation as he is informing the documentary audience. Directed by Davis Guggenheim, An Inconvenient Truth is a documentary about Al Gore's lecture tour as he mentions the key awareness of global warming various locations around the globe. In short, I will give this great documentary a four and a half stars. I especially recommend this documentary to those that have limited or no knowledge of the rising danger of global warming and its consequences.
An Inconvenient Truth is rated PG for mild thematic elements; this allows younger audiences to acknowledge the effects of global warming. In my opinion, this is key for our society to succeed. Despite Al Gore's lecture referred to a lot of data regarding the presence of global warming, he did refer to the Futurama clip of "None like it hot". The use of this simple cartoon allows the younger audience members of this documentary have visual entertainment rather than falling asleep to ample amounts of data sets, graphs, and statistics Al Gore bombarded the audience. With 7.3 billion humans and rising, the more educated and well-informed in global warming there are in society, the better. As youths grow up in this world, they certainly must understand the global warming threat. The education of the topic to these younger audience was one of the many reasons this documentary deserves a four and a half stars.
An Inconvenient Truth reached its goal of educating the audience regarding the rising threat of global warming and its consequences. The documentary would make a person without any knowledge of global warming sympathize to the cause of lowering carbon emission and global warming. Al Gore used a personal anecdote regarding the injury of his son halfway through the documentary; additionally, Gore used the statistics with comparison of the low levels of carbon, pollution, etc. to the high levels present in the modern day. Especially with Gore's personal anecdote, the audience viewed the personal side of this politician. Although the personal anecdote was somewhat tear jerking for normal audience members, I found greater amusement and laughing at the comedic jokes Gore mention throughout his presentations. Notably, Gore mentions one humorous joke regarding how an elementary teacher that denied a student's creative thought of South America and Africa fitting together became a member in Bush's cabinet.
The documentary is 100 minutes long with minor predictable turn of events. The acting of each of the actors is fairly believable; in short, Gore was presenting a presentation to the audience in the movie and the audience beyond the movie is seated with his crowd. Also, the documentary is simply the right amount of length. It is not too long nor too short; the documentary uses a fair amount of time to go into enough depth to the extent the audience would understand. The pace of the movie tends to flow well from its use of data to the personal Gore's anecdote to concluding strong. In terms of directing, Davis Guggenheim did a fair job. Each of the camera views to the lens in or lens out captured a positive image to Al Gore. There are few minor characters that support Gore in this documentary, because the documentary is regarding his tour of global warming presentations, the few supporting actors include include people asking questions during the presentation and the anonymous phone caller that led Gore to research more.
In conclusion, An Inconvenient Truth is a fairly decent documentary that mentions the rising threat and consequences of global warming. For an ill-educated audience that lacks background regarding global warming, Al Gore mentions the prime consequences that the world will face for the next many generations. The documentary certainly deserves four and a half stars for enlightening the audience in a well manner. It possessed the right camera angling, right amount of documentary time, and only lacked the emphasis that pollution is produced by factories and agro-businesses. If it mentioned that the factories and agro-businesses are the prime producers of pollutions and how to counter that, then the movie would be five stars. Anyone that is uneducated regarding global warming I highly recommend this documentary so you can become more aware of the changing world around you.
May 26, 2015
Many facts, and a few gaffs.
This is a nice introduction to climate change. This should be followed by Years of Living Dangerously and Pandora's Promise.
½ May 21, 2015
A propaganda masterpiece. An Inconvenient Truth was a very convenient profit for the director. Climate change is a real issue but not in the hyperbolic and shock-factor manner presented by Gore. Read Physics for Future Presidents by Richard A. Muller for the truth of what we know and don't know about climate change. You can be an environmentalist and dislike the one-sided and scientifically unsound methodology of this film which does more harm than good for combating climate change.
March 28, 2015
Can't... take... the.. smugness....
March 16, 2015
I'm rating this movie 9 years after if came out. Interesting how I see now rotten tomatoes in the ratings, everyone agreed with the facts. Too bad it's become so politicized of late.