The Incredible Melting Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Incredible Melting Man Reviews

½ July 17, 2016
Messy plot, it's hard to watch simply because of how it's shot- not too artistic but not too dull, just confusingly. Some of the effects are great (and gross) but some of them are pretty bad looking too. The movie is bleak and bland, yet bizarre and creepy. None of it really works.
½ May 31, 2016
The gore and goop effects by Rick Baker are, of course, great, as is the musical score. Every other aspect of the movie... not so much.

More than anything the acting is just horrific. With the exception of Myron Healey (who isn't even given much more to do than chow down on a turkey leg), it seems like not a single person wanted to be there.
May 24, 2016
Even with all the requisite cheese, wooden acting and cheap speical-effects, The Incredible Melting Man is even to bad to laugh at.
April 11, 2016
So incredibly cheesy. But it's fun for a late night drive-in movie schlockfest.
June 28, 2015
Possibly one of the most iconic horror thrillers around that everyone forgets about. Its probably the epitome of schlock horror with the added bonus of having some quite dazzling practical effects courtesy of the legend Rick Baker. Get a load of that title! As with many sci-fi movies of the 70's and 80's, this film was heavily influenced by older sci-fi thrillers of the 50's that pretty much had the same plot. A dude comes back from outer space with some kind of illness or infection that slowly kills him.

Sure enough, in this movie a dude (Steve West) comes back from the far reaches of space (travelling to Saturn), after getting hit in the face with a blast of radiation. Although, I'm not too sure how they managed to get back to Earth when two of the crew were fried alive and the other was left half alive. Anyway with his other two crew mates dead, he is the only survivor back on Earth. But to everyone's horror the surviving astronauts flesh is slowly melting away, his whole body is slowly falling apart, and no one knows why. Role credits...oh wait!

Yes there is more, the movie continues for another hour and a half or so of simply watching this guy melt slowly. Its strange really because the movie starts off really well, the small sequence of the three astronauts in their little craft approaching Saturn's rings is quite decent. It looks really authentic with a solid little set, good costumes and good lighting, you could be fooled into thinking you're watching a serious sci-fi. Its the moment we get back to Earth the movie transforms into an extremely hammy tacky slasher thriller. For starters why would this astronaut leave the hospital and run off?? why would he even get out of bed in the first place? You're in a hospital, there is obviously something seriously wrong with you, you'd want the best help you can get, you'd want top people on the case, you'd want answers etc...Getting out of bed and running off after seeing your rotting hands and face is easily the wrong choice in my opinion.

From here on things get a tad silly, first off he starts to kill people in horrendous ways, yeah that's not cool bro. OK he's gone a bit loopy from the shock of seeing himself rotting away, but would that really cause you to start killing people in a fashion that would make Jason Voorhees proud? Its at some point during the stalking carnage that we find out he needs to eat human flesh to keep his strength up...yeaaah kinda leeching of the 1968 zombie craze set in motion by Romero methinks. This means we basically get one death scene after another, all set up in cheesy ways which are so blatantly obvious they offer no scares at all these days. Its also at this point that you basically don't really care about the character of West anymore, seeing as he's slaughtering folk for no real reason other than he looks like a monster. Each victim is the predictable stereotypical type, an old couple, a single bloke who looks a bit geeky, a young married couple, some faceless cops and some military dudes, oh and there's a little girl...but she of course escapes unharmed. Amazingly there are no teens having sex that get killed off, quite surprising really considering.

Despite all that its really all about the makeup and gore effects for the melting that we're interested in. Needless to say you can't go wrong with Rick Baker at the helm and he doesn't disappoint here. Admittedly the melting effects don't actually change all that much for the majority of the middle of the film, its only right at the very end we see the real money sequence. Up to that point we get lots of little gory moments with his ear coming off, his arm being cut off, various chunks of flesh and blood splodges, lots of gooey POV views from the melting mans perspective and some violent kills. For the most part he looks like a large runny cheese n tomato pizza that is dripping away but it is highly effective. But as I said the finale where we actually see the titular character melt away into a slushy, sticky, puddle of goo is by far the highlight. The vision of West's remaining eye slowly sliding down his face as his skull collapses in on itself is really terrific and haunting. Its a near perfect example of hands-on, practical effects that still holds up today, Baker the master craftsman.

Its a mixed bag really. The concept is not original, the start is good, the entire middle of the film is (now) a cliched monster slasher flick, but the effects are fantastic and you do kinda feel for West, at times. Although the morality aspect of the movie is well n truly lost beneath a sea of grisly gunk. Unfortunately overall the cheap slasher-esque motif sticks in your mind and brings the movie down, not even the so called black comedy segments, which are sporadic, make any real difference. I have read it was suppose to be a more light-hearted movie at first but they changed their minds, alas you can tell with some scenes feeling out of place. The old couple that get killed are clearly an old comedy sequence left in. In the end I can't deny that the movie is thin on plot, thin on motives for the characters and of course focuses more on horror and gore. Its a movie about a man...who slowly melts away, and that's it, nothing more, nothing less...but hell I liked it!
½ June 8, 2015
Bad but entertaining B movie from the 70's with some great special effects.
March 7, 2015
He actually melts in the end! So brutal ahhahaah
½ February 1, 2015
A classic in cheesy B-gore movies. So bad it's good on every level.
December 8, 2014
With this film Orion films hoped to create a new movie monster similar to Frankenstein or King Kong, however they failed and made something more akin to Plan 9 from Outer Space. On paper it sounds solid: An astronaut is burnt by one of the suns on Saturn and starts melting when he gets back to earth, in execution though it's a mess. No clear reasons are ever given as to why the titular melting man is attacking random bystanders, we're just supposed to buy that it's a thing that happens once you get burned by the suns of Saturn. Worst yet however is that for a killer monster movie the whole thing is incredibly slow paced, with much of it revolving around the Man stalking the house of a scients wife. As you may be expecting at this point, the acting is abysmal. The special effects are pretty great but aren't worth sticking around for.
½ July 12, 2014
The plot is, a guy is melting. That's the plot.
June 26, 2014
He melts. It was ok.
March 1, 2014
Only really worth it for Rick Baker's special effects, which aren't as good as his later work e.g. An American Werewolf In London. The film itself is a very cheaply made horror originally planned as a comedy but changed at the last minute. This is evident by the random end with a worker randomly sweeping up the leftovers of the infected astronaut.
½ January 29, 2014
For the most part it is a very ordinary low-budget horror, but it does have cult value and certainly plenty of marks for the make-up.
January 20, 2014
Another MST3K highlight, and a dull waste of time otherwise. Tacky production and carp acting, however some decent effects nearly save it.
½ November 2, 2013
¿Porqué ya no ponen películas como esta en la tele?
Francisco G.
½ September 1, 2013
This incredibly silly movie is... well, incredibly silly. You're gonna love it, if you love incredibly silly stuff. Tell me something that works in this one other than the melting man effects, I dare you. The fail this movie does at everything is truly a marvel to behold. It couldn't be this bad if it was forced, it's so naturally awful it's almost wonderful.
August 11, 2013
Pretty dam terrible, yet so fulfilling . Props to Rick Baker though on the make up effects.
½ July 30, 2013
Well if you're looking for something nice and trashy and just awful then you need look no further. The Incredible Melting Man definitely stands out as one of the worst movies ever made (at least of the movies that I've seen). I find it hard to say anything positive about it because it's so slow and boring. It tries to be to be so many things that it never really finds a solid foothold, which I think is its biggest mistake. William Sachs directed it and horror make-up alumni Rick Backer and Greg Cannom may have worked on it, but that doesn't excuse its quality. Other than the awful acting, dialogue and editing, that's about the most critical thing that I can possibly muster up to say about it. Thankfully the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew took a shot at it and made it much funnier than it could have possibly been on its own. It was recently re-released by the great Scream Factory label, but you have to be really into to get any enjoyment out of it.
July 30, 2013
Terrible directing..really bad acting but great effects by Rick Baker.