The Incredible Shrinking Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Incredible Shrinking Man Reviews

August 10, 2013
At times unintentionally funny, but with many truly frightening moments for Scott (Grant Williams), as he encounters new dangers at every stage of his journey.
½ August 8, 2013
Some pretty impressive special effects for the time (the water tank scene is especially tense) - but has one too many 50's sci-fi clichés and a rather peculiar ending
July 28, 2013
A herald of special effects from the 50s. A wonderful story by Richard Matheson.
July 8, 2013
"To God there is no zero, I still exist."

In the 1950's, the one director that was successful in making horror movies would be Jack Arnold. Some of his most successful films in that decade include It Came From Outer Space, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Tarantula. But the film I'm about to review, 1957's The Incredible Shrinking Man, is probably his most famous.

After unintentionally catching some harmful radioactive rays during a boating vacation, Scott Carey (Grant Williams) soon discovers that he is getting smaller and smaller and smaller. Eventually, he gets so small that he gets to be famous and develops a hatred for everyone, including his wife (Randy Stuart). After being attacked by the family cat, Scott ends up in the basement, causing his wife and brother (Paul Langton) to believe the cat killed him. Scott must use his small height and small knowledge to survive in the basement, especially when there's a tarantula intending to eat him.

One of the problems with Jack Arnold's films is a lack of good character development, with It Came From Outer Space being the worst offender. The Incredible Shrinking Man, however, surprised me in the fact that the character development, particularly in the shrinking man, is actually well-developed. Grant Williams did a fairly good job at doing the role, and some moments come out as chilling, particularly in scenes where he questions his existence.

The special effects are terrific for a film made in the 50's, especially scenes where Williams is shrinking. When he gets to be super small, you think that he was really that small. Other highlights in the visuals include the attack scene with the cat (which I found to be unintentionally funny) and a climatic battle with a tarantula. Believe it or not, this tarantula used was the same one Arnold used before in his film Tarantula.

The last thing I have to mention is the surprise ending. After loads of sci-fi and horror, in the end of the film, the film questions the existence of life. Without getting too preachy, the speech Williams makes in the end is a surprising and excellent way to end a horror/sci-fi film.

While I still prefer Tarantula to be the essential Jack Arnold film, The Incredible Shrinking Man is still an entertaining and visually incredible 50's classic.
½ July 6, 2013
Great Jack Arnold film vith effects that must have been pretty amazing at the time the movie was made
June 9, 2013
Has some genuinely frightening moments with a cat and a spider. Has nice dialog between husband and wife. Has nice set-pieces. But the ending was rather bleak and though I understand where the director was going, I felt it was a little hurried and empty.
May 9, 2013
A great sci-fi film. A man is exposed to a cloud of mysterious dust. He begins to shrink and get thinner until he is just inches tall. His life is turned upside down. Reporters come and the media get involved. All he really wants to do is be normal again and to live life. He struggles with his marriage and what his purpose is in life as he continues to shrink. The special effects for this film are outdated of course. But the tricks they use are still very clever. The shrinking man must battle a fierce cat, a house spider, hunger; leaks and everything a figurine-sized human might encounter. A great movie to pass the time.
½ April 28, 2013
I wasn't expecting to like this, but I ended up loving it.
½ April 14, 2013
Some of the effects look dated by todays standards, but the depth of Matheson's story shines through.
January 12, 2013
I love bad 50's Scifi. This does not fall under that category. This movie is astonishing to me. This is my favorite Richard Matheson adaptation. With great story-telling, it is a profound and theatrically-charged masterpiece of pulp tragedy.
½ January 4, 2013
good film, but a little on the overated side. end of it kinda sucked.
January 4, 2013
Far ahead of it's time and pioneered special effects.
January 4, 2013
November 16, 2012
Un B-Movies anni '50 atipico, al di sopra degli altri, poiché oltre alla godibile trama e la leggerezza nel guardare un film del genere, pone interessanti questioni filosofiche sull'uomo.
½ October 25, 2012
Fantastic practical effects
May 10, 2012
An Unbeatable Sci-Fi Classic--Transcendental!!
May 6, 2012
One of my most memorable childhood favourites, thought it wasabout time I rewatched. Still pretty terrifying during attack of the cat scene and I must have fastforwarded the end showdown as a child because I do not remember ever seeing a spider shot so up-close and personal before, horrifying. Tension is ranked up stupendously on the introduction of the house tarantula. Holds an important moral that stands true more than 50 years later - If you're an inch tall, DON'T go shaking the fucking spider web.
½ April 28, 2012
Sounds like a contradiction - Intelligent creature feature - sure it's all the radiation's fault again but philosophical at the same time.
April 27, 2012
Incredible film. Carefully detailed, wonderfully textured film about a man's diminishing stature in the world, perhaps the most powerful expression of Matheson's great theme. Arnold's special effects in this digital day and age have a wonderful restraint; his camera is kept relatively static, the better to capture the hero's inexorable predicament. With a finale as spiritual as anything in Bresson.
April 7, 2012
Classic Hollywood 50`s Sci-Fi. The effects are great, and in some aspects holds up pretty good even in present time.