The Indian in the Cupboard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Indian in the Cupboard Reviews

July 3, 2017
The Indian in the Cupboard has to be one of every persons childhood favorites. It definitely was mine.
½ May 25, 2017
A magical fantasy gem that I will always fondly remember. Frank Oz did a good job of bringing the book I loved so much as a kid to the screen. (First viewing - Childhood)
May 13, 2017
Used to watch as a kid wish i had it on vhs. My cousin just found it in a box of old movies. Definitely going to buy it off him.
April 9, 2017
Kind of good, but you can see they didn't put a ton of effort into it. It was enjoyable, but Omri is still one of the dumbest characters ever.
½ March 17, 2017
Saw it in theater in 95. Didn't leave much of an impression on me now. Now not interested.
½ February 28, 2017
It was a very nice and really entertaining live-action family fantasy adventure. It had really well done special effects, really good cast, really great music, really exciting adventure, really fabulous costumes, really great cinematography, really nice drama and a really nice story. I've seen this movie before when I was in school years. I really recommend this movie to both children and adults.
January 30, 2017
Kind of beautiful in its strange, isolated tone. The lead isn't conventional enough and there isn't enough excitement for this to have become a well-remembered kids' movie, unfortunately.
March 23, 2016
Great book. Great movie
½ November 17, 2015
On paper this is superb, but it's horrendously executed opting to simply imitate other family friendly fare. I will say that the special effects surprisingly hold up quite well.
September 21, 2015
The Indian in the Cupboard is a film with just the right amount of wonder, heart, and purpose. It's simple despite its magical premise, approachable despite a fairly complex undercurrent, and fun despite playing without a lot of frivolous fluff. It's well acted, effortlessly directed, and the story is simple yet sublime.
September 17, 2015
A wildly imaginative and interesting story! A
½ September 6, 2015
Having your toys come to life when you are a kid seems like an awesome concept. The magic is there, but unfortunately is not as fun as it should be. It has some nice moments, but it is often serious and the mood deflates. Bringing the plastic toys to life comes with the price of removing them from their time and history. That changes the game from a lifeless plastic thing taking on personality to putting a kid in control of a real human. This is a case where the flaws mainly come from the source material. The movie does a fine job of faithfully adapting the book for young readers. Like the book, the movie is entertaining but not special. The Cowboy and Indian characters are not that fun. There is a maturation in the main character but no real suspense or joy.
August 11, 2015
Rating: 42%
Although it has remarkable special effects, the plot and characters from the book fail to translate into anything meaningful in The Indian in the Cupboard.
½ July 3, 2015
An admittedly nostalgic, childhood favorite of mine, I've always enjoyed watching Indian in the Cupboard even now as an adult. The special effects are amazing for it's time of release and hold up adequately today, the story is unique(albeit controversial to many), the soundtrack is beautiful, the pacing is solid and overall this is a charming, innocent little family film. The tone and atmosphere of the movie feel very mysterious and playful simultaneously, and I can never get over the bittersweet ending.
June 27, 2015
If this didn't rock your world as a kid, screw you.
June 10, 2015
Saw it when I was younger but I'd like to see it again.
May 16, 2015
my heart was in this movie so much i actually wanted to put my toys in the cubboard as a kid and open it to see them alive
½ April 23, 2015
Made for kids but the wonderment felt warms the heart in this nice tame little fable.
March 5, 2015
A childhood movie that I continue to hold dear.
January 14, 2015
I think the movie is going to be great. There book is to sofar