Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Reviews

½ July 23, 2016
has some really stupid moments but still has some solid action and Harrison Ford being as awesome as usual.
July 20, 2016
I think the best thing I can say about this is that it was true to the Indiana Jones franchise. I loved it! The action was as good as any of them, the special effects were pretty good, but they overdo it to the point where it lost touch with the original 3. You had your classic Indiana Jones humor, plus it was great to have Marian back. Even in his 60s Harrison Ford can still kick some Commi stooge trash. It was way fun to see part of such a classic series on the big screen. Great experience. Indiana Jones is keeping up with the great movies that are on track for this summer.
July 18, 2016
Allot of green screen work and some over the top bits like the monkey swing but it's still good and entertaining, Maybe the story was silly and the ending should of been better, It's corny and over the top fun that will be loved by new fans and most of the old fans too.
½ July 17, 2016
Eh hasn't aged well but still not horrible.
½ July 15, 2016
Very disappointed. It lands on the same category as Star Wars Episode 1 the Phantom Menace. I really didn't want to hate this sequel but do to a cliched and bland plot the film kept telling me otherwise.
½ July 12, 2016
This was to the original trilogy what Star Wars 1-3 were to the original.
½ July 6, 2016
Garnering a slightly excessive amount of hate from its fanbase, the sequel to one of the greatest adventure series of all time certainly doesn't live up to its predecessors as much as we'd have liked it to. But Indy's here and Steven's here, and that seems to be just enough to remind you that you are indeed watching an Indiana Jones film.
July 5, 2016
Soviets make very movie worse and Shia LeBeouf
July 5, 2016
The franchise needs CPR after how this chapter played out! Shame on you Steve! You said you were done with this great trilogy after the third one, YOU WERE DONE!! Especially you Lucas!
I hate to sound graphic here, but it felt like Lucas was jerking us off, making us cum, but he says, "no no, there's still more in there!" That is how I feel about this once beloved franchise! Talk about a giant waste of time, money, and attention!
One positive? At least Harrison Ford grabbed his hat back from Shia Lebouf before he put it on! That was a wise decision!
July 4, 2016
Really liked the part with the monkeys.
½ July 2, 2016
If you go to this movie expecting a well-crafted, well-thought-out movie, move along. But if you go to see Harrison Ford and have a great time in the movie theater, you will not be disappointed. I was disappointed.
July 2, 2016
Okay, I love Spielberg films a lot, and I love Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones (even in this movie) and I think the cast is great too. The visuals are good, but do we really need a huge ton of CGI in an "Indiana Jones" movie. This movie also feels so cheesy almost to the point this could be a cartoon. It's clear what this movie was made for, if you were a huge Indy fan and you saw this in the theater you would have gone fan-boy on a lot of this (I did when I first saw it) but the more you think about it the movie isn't that good. I can tell Lucas had his hands all over the script. With all of that said the movie isn't bad it's just not great and with the standards set by Steven Spielberg and the Indiana Jones franchise it should have been a lot better than it was.
June 27, 2016
A mostly boring and ridiculous plot make this the worst of the Indy franchise.
June 27, 2016
We find Indiana aka Henry Jr. in the back of a trunk in 1957 heading toward a very famous army base.  You might remember this large storage unit from the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Irina Spalko (Cate Blanchett) notes that all the country's  secrets are stored here.  Indy states the item she is looking for is highly magnetic.  It's a crate from Roswell, New Mexico.  Excellent.  When she pries the case open (similar to birth) what's inside looks very alien in nature.  Unfortunately Indy's buddy Mac is a traitor.  We see a nice cameo from the Ark of the Covenant on the way out.  Cut to Indy in what appears to be a quaint little town in the middle of the desert.  It's actually a A-Bomb testing site.  Those poor beautiful cars!  Indy stuffs himself in a lead lined fridge and is kicked through the desert to watch the mushroom cloud.  This was spectacular and an awesome display of special effects.  Indy is picked up accused of being a traitor by none other than Janitor.  He must enjoy working with Ford.  Back at the university, we learn Dad and Marcus are long dead.  Dr. Jones is fired and boards a train where he is stopped by a kid riding up on his bike.  This is Mutt Williams.  Mutt enlists the help of Dr. Jones regrading the legend of the Crystal Skull which is (I believe) Mayan in origin.  Apparently, Mutt's mother and Indy's long time friend Ox have been kidnapped because of this legend and a famed city of gold.  Some KGB officers show up at the diner where they're talking and after punching a sporto Mutt is pushed back against some greasers.  I liked the greaser versus sporto fight.  They hightail it out of there on Mutt's Harley driving right straight through campus.  Is it wrong that I kept looking at the girl's clothes and not the chase?  Mom's letter leads them to a cemetery (another very cool scene) where they uncover the crystal skull.  The skull as well as the skeletons in the tomb are elongated in the back.  Jones says that they used to bind the skulls of their infants to honor their god.  Mutt remarks that God does not look like that.  In the tomb they find the crystal skull.  It is beautiful and (Jones says) not man made.  He says it would be impossible to cut a piece of quartz like that without it breaking.  Cut to the big reveal.  Marion is Mutt's mother.  That should have been a no-brainer.  When he first talked about her he said her name was Mary.  Moments later Marion reveals Mutt is actually Henry Jones III, Indy's son.  Who Mutt thought was his dad was really his step father someone Marion married because Indy had run off.  Cut through the car chase and the giant ants (ew) and Indy, Ox, Mutt and Marion make it to the crying waterfall, pretty cool looking.  This leads them to an ancient city.  They have to figure out a puzzle to get in, another amazing scene.  Inside the city are artifacts from every major civilization.  Further into the city is a circular room where the remaining crystal skeletons sit.  One is headless.  The head is pulled like a magnet onto the body and Ox states that they want to give them a gift.  The skeletons fuse into one being no longer a skeleton and the temple begins to collapse around our heroes.  Of course, Irina wants this gift stating she wants to know everything.  And without a doubt she explodes from too much.  The four, Marion, Mutt, Ox and Indy, make it to a safe viewpoint where they watch the collapsing city turn into a flying saucer.  Ox earlier stated that these creatures were not from outer space but they were interdimensional beings.  The saucer disappears not flying away but vanishing into thin air further emphasizing Ox's statement.  Water pours into the hole where the city once stood almost like it was never there.  The crystal skeleton scene was my favorite of the whole film.  In fact the last twenty minutes were just awesome.
½ June 26, 2016
54%
Steven Spielberg directs the film with care, and Ford's return is an earnest one, but the script for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is too bland, and the special effects overshadow its story.

V: 68%
June 26, 2016
Nothing Special, People were telling me this looks bad and sounds bad and is bad, Since I brought the Crystal Skull from a store i thought the movie was very mediocre, Yeah it did have not so good actors but Shia La Boeuf is a good actor, He is just bad in the Transformers Reboots...
And Harrison Ford Continues to be The Hero of the Jungle.

Grade: C
½ June 25, 2016
Overall it wasn't a bad movie, but it was clearly the worst of all the Indy films. The story was mah, and putting aliens and a flying saucer at the end ruins it. A decent film on its own, but is dissapointing compared to any of the original Indiana Jones movies. C-
½ June 20, 2016
Resurrecting a legendary franchise should be no difficult task with its original director, star, and screenplay by the guy that wrote Jurassic Park, Mission: Impossible, Spider-Man, and Carlito's Way, right? Well, unfortunately Koepp's screenplay is waaaaay off the mark here and Spielberg, Ford, and George Lucas, despite laughing all the way to the bank, heard it from die hard fans. Now in the 1950s, Indy is trying to stop the Soviets from getting their hands on the mysterious and powerful Crystal Skull. Fans would have been okay with resurrecting Indy if they would have left Shia LaBeouf's James Dean like character way out of the picture. If that character and the ending sequence absolutely had to be left in, I'm sure everyone would've been okay with Indy staying on the shelves for a little longer until something better came along in terms of a script.
June 16, 2016
A 19 year break is obviously what this franchise needed to inject life back into Dr. Jones. Upbeat, funny, & pleasantly entertaining with all the usual thrills & antics of our fave hunky crusader. I think it's amusing so many critics & fans have blasted the alien storyline. You only need to pick up a history book or research online to see that many ancient civilizations have unexplained aspects of their culture referring to extra-terrestrial life. I'm not saying there's a giant spaceship buried somewhere in South America but this movie just took it to the next level - and it totally worked! Definitely my fave Indiana Jones movie.