Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Reviews

½ January 18, 2017
It's not an awful film by any stretch, but that is not exactly a welcome compliment either. Harrison Ford is uninterested, the plot is bland, and continual references to Jones' age reminds the viewer constantly of a more thrilling, and memorable past.
January 9, 2017
Not as good as the first three but equally entertaining and fun. There's a feeling of nostalgia for fans of the series. I liked that there are ties to the series and little hints here and there about where Indy had been doing all these years. There are a lot of over the top moments but it wouldn't be an Indy film if there weren't. I don't know what the deal is giving all of our heroes sons (Superman being the other) I think that ages the character even more and it's not the same. The swinging of the monkeys and the sci-fi stuff was not to my liking but it can be a good change from the supernatural elements that have been done before. Overall a great ride for fans like myself that have been waiting years for this.
January 7, 2017
After waiting as long as we fans had to, this film was nothing but a bitter disappointment.
January 6, 2017
2017-01-06 rewatched
January 2, 2017
The return of Indiana Jones is unfortunately a less than spectacular wet fart. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is ultimately a fun but lacking, disposable film.

There are certainly things to enjoy here. Once again, the action scenes are creative and interesting, even if they are overly reliant on CGI. Harrison Ford and Karen Allen return and revive some of their chemistry from the first movie. The rest of the cast is also pretty great. Shia LaBeouf, whatever your opinions on him are as a person, can be a damn good actor when he needs to be and this movie is elevated by his performance. He manages to bring a genuine vulnerability to his tough guy persona that's very endearing. Special mention should also go to Cate Blanchett as Soviet spy Irina Spalko. Hamming it up but also injecting a true sense of menace, she creates, I believe, the most memorable villain in the franchise.

One of the two biggest issues with this movie stems from the overall story. The choice to set it in the late 1950s and have Indy fight the Soviets is a novel idea worth exploring. Plus it conveniently matches Harrison Ford's actual age. Where it begins to stumble is with the alien plot. Kingdom has two distinct styles (swashbuckling adventure serial and science fiction B-movie) going on at once which, more often than not, clash in a very blunt and awkward way. Indy, with his usual look and speech, feels very out of place in this story and it's very distracting. If the filmmakers had commented on this a bit then it might have worked but it's played mostly straight so it tends to fall short.

The other major issue is the overall "tiredness" of the whole production. This isn't to do with the actors but more with the directing and technical feel of it. Steven Spielberg reportedly didn't want to make this movie and it shows through his flat directing and overuse of CGI effects, although I have a sneaking suspicion the latter was George Lucas's doing.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is not a bad movie by any means but it's certainly a disappointment. You can check it out and have a good time but don't expect anything worth writing home about.
½ January 2, 2017
It's got all the elements of the classic Indiana Jones saga, but somehow lacks the ability to avoid applicable criticism. The familial elements feel cheap rather than natural as they did with Indy's father in Last Crusade. And the overabundance of obviously computer enhanced effects already feels more dated than some of the classically aged sequences of the original trilogy. Hearing Spielberg and Lucas's logic behind the intentions here makes sense in theory; mainly aligning Ford's age with the appropriate era's sci-fi obsession. Ultimately this is a good example of the sum of the parts not quite adding up.
December 30, 2016
Probably the only Indiana Jones I didn't like. It could've been good but George Lucas should've done this earlier and make much better characters too.
December 27, 2016
I loved this installment of Indiana Jones. It came back with old characters and re lives the fun of the first three. The addition of Shia as Indys impetuous, young and greeser son was great to see. He brought a fresh take and a potential future to the franchise. Cate Blanchett was fun to watch play the Russian psychological expert. Packed with action and comical jokes throughout and Scify ancient aliens was also a great addition. Though a bit faulty and cheesy that's also what we have come to expect still great fun to be had and can be viewed multiple times encompassing adventure, fun and intrigue as always.
December 19, 2016
I had fun but the plot is ridiculous to the point of pulling you out of the movie
December 11, 2016
I may be the only one that likes this movie. I think this movie needs to be rediscover, and see what the haters may have overlooked the ones that are really good. I thought Steven Spielberg hasn't lost his touched, since he directed the first three movies, and still is a darn good director. Harrison Ford is still and always shall be Indiana Jones. Shia Labeouf isn't as bad as what many people make it out to be. I'm happy to see Karen Allen returning as Marion. The effects by ILM are good, but not their best work. Same goes to John Williams' music. The action and the humor are still in that tradition as the other three movies. Most of all, it still feels like an "Indiana Jones movie. I like this movie, and it really deserves another chance. Take it for what its worth.
December 7, 2016
The most underrated of the Indiana Jones films. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull brings back the delightful action with few dull moments and Harrison Ford shines. The story was interesting as well.
December 5, 2016
A disappointing chapter that suffers from a lame interaction between the characters, an inconsistent plot that makes no sense and action scenes that are never memorable, relying too much on CGI and never managing to create any sense of real danger, with a terrible ending.
November 30, 2016
This is alright. Got nothing on the originals. But it certainly doesn't suck. It's just very silly and far fetched
½ November 28, 2016
I remember being so excited for this movie... while I wasn't old enough to see the glaring flaws in the Star Wars prequels, the awful moments in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull hit the movie hard, and it doesn't get better with time. Kingdom of the Crustal Skull starts out promising and a couple of sequences afterwards are fun but there are too many stupid and downright embarrassing moments to make it a worthy sequel. It doesn't help that the story they chose was a particularly underwhelming one feeling more like Imitation Jones. I mean aliens, really George?
½ November 28, 2016
Not as bad as some people say, but it's still missing some of the magic of the earlier movies.
November 26, 2016
This movie was weird, but cool and fun. The secret temple was really interesting. The rest of the movie was really cool too!
½ October 28, 2016
Horrible. Best thing about this movie was the South Park parody.
½ October 23, 2016
Although it does not live up to its predecessor, this fourth installment of the Indiana Jones franchise boasts cheesy special effects, sly humour, an action-packed sequence and the introduction of a new villain that shall please nostalgic fans.
½ October 11, 2016
Nostalgia can't even hold this movie together
½ September 28, 2016
What are critics talking about? I've never been able to stomach the whole film.