Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Reviews

September 20, 2017
Loved it and will always love it. Not as good as 1 and 3 but still a good film.
September 19, 2017
I think I actually feel a better sense of adventure from this movie than Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's a throwback, just like the first, and got a lot of heat for it's nonesense representations of India, and to a lesser extent Hong Kong. But it stands on its own as a gratuitously violent thrill ride. Again, there are problems with steretypes, even when they are done consciously in a charicature way like in Indiana Jones movies. But, its up to parents and individual viewers to educate themesleves and see Temple of Doom as a not-at-all-rooted-in-reality. Personally, I watched this a lot as a kid, and was made aware that people in India are not really like that. For some reason, I never got the same talk about hte representations of German people in the other Indiana Jones movies.
½ September 16, 2017
'The Temple of Doom' has a far darker tone than the other Indiana Jones films, and the only criticism I can find to it is that its female character is a clichéd dull blond, a criticism that can't be made to either its predecessor nor successor. However, it is perhaps the most frightening of the three, being just as exhilaratingly entertaining and having no equivalent in fun thrills. It is one of these movies which are always easy to see, and see again. Spielberg's unforgettable second film of the saga appeals to the most obscure side of our collective historical imagination.
September 7, 2017
Its sense of humour and adventurous feel remain intact though Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom's dark tone can be off-putting lacking some of the charm of the first film. Like the kids from '84, I felt uncomfortable with its depictions of child abuse and a guy ripping another guy's heart out. That was horrifying, yet I still liked the film a lot. The set pieces are great with an awesome minecart chase sequence and it's funny. Whilst the female lead - who eventually went on to be Spielberg's wife - is mostly there as eye candy, she provides most of the laughs IMO. She's a far better comic relief than Jar Jar will ever be. Though it's funny to see her mistake a snake for her irritating elephant companion and brush the snake off without looking whilst the anyone who didn't see or forgot the first film is reminded that Indy has a phobia of snakes. Oh, and early on in the film, ha ha, Club Obi Wan. Maybe Indiana Jones and Star Wars DO take place in the same universe after all. I'll give Spielberg credit as well with regards as to how he continuously tricks you into thinking something's going to happen but the outcome is reversed. "Oh, some ex machina is totally coming to save Indy at the very last second. OH, WHAT THE HELL? THE VILLAIN ACTUALLY MANAGED TO DO IT?" That's about the most spoiler-free example I can give you. It's even more effective when you realize this movie is a prequel. All in all, Indiana Jones 2 ain't no Raiders and isn't bereft of uneven moments but its set pieces, humourous moments and the fact that it isn't afraid to show us disturbing images make Temple of Doom an enjoyable sequel.
September 3, 2017
Not quite as good as Raiders or the Last Crusade but still a good film.
August 26, 2017
The gross out edginess distracts a bit from the moral battle between good and evil, which is a bit more nuanced than one would expect from an action adventure film. A lot of camera movement and foreshadowed cutting make the pace of the film very tight. Though a few scene feel prolonged beyond their welcome.
August 26, 2017
Slavoj Zizek presents: Indiana Jones
August 17, 2017
Although the story to the second instalment into the Indiana Jones franchise is certainly less interesting and feels like the stakes aren't quite as high, the action is every bit as fast-paced, Ford is as charismatic as ever, and the supporting characters are far more fun and memorable allowing for more interaction between Indy and his sidekicks. It may not be quite as good as its predecessor, but it is definitely just as much of a blast.
August 13, 2017
The second movie of the franchise and the last one I had yet to see. After arriving in India, Indiana Jones is asked by a desperate village to find a mystical stone. He agrees, and stumbles upon a secret cult plotting a terrible plan in the catacombs of an ancient palace. One could say this is the bloodiest and darkest one of them all but it has a good plot and great visual effects. Short Round is really the true hero.
August 8, 2017
The first half of this movie is more annoying than anything else in recent memory. This movie has some lousy characters with some even lousier acting. However, all is not lost. The last act of the film is strong and saves the experience. It is not the best Indiana Jones movie, and it only narrowly escapes being the worst.
August 7, 2017
Is it not a coincidence that the two people who wrote this film, Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz, would later write the screenplay for another unpleasantly mean-spirited movie that would attempt to ram kid comedy with grotesque horror together? The hinted-at catastrophe: Howard the Duck. That is where Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom goes so wrong: the unwillingness of the screenwriters to pick a mood and go with it. Harrison Ford is his usual charming self as the titular adventurer, but he's got nobody interesting to tag along with him. And in a movie like this, the hero can only be about as interesting as the adventure he is given to undertake. Dodging the Nazis while searching for religious artifacts worked before and after this movie, but running from voodoo practitioners and being hypnotized into nearly throwing a comrade into the core of the earth is not what I had in mind for an Indiana Jones adventure. The villains are memorable, but for all the wrong reasons. And his sidekicks are utterly obnoxious. It is hard to tell from this movie that Kate Capshaw is a talented actress. Her squealing and whining goes a long way and really fast. And it is no big wonder why Jonathan Ka Quan, as the little kid, never had a kickoff career. Yes, he was just a kid when making this picture, but there is none of that real spark the audience looks for in a character we're meant to root for.
August 1, 2017
Big fan of Raiders. But I can remember seeing this movie as a teen and walking out of the theater disappointed. Poor sequel by Spielberg. Missing a lot of the charm and comedy of the first movie. Missing a lot of the thrilling action too. I think Spielberg was too infatuated with his new bride to realize how bad this movie sucked.
½ July 28, 2017
The second film in the series is rather dark and very controversial but has excellent music by John Williams and is very exciting.
It takes Indy, his young sidekick Short Round, and glamorous singer Willy on a journey to recover a village's sacred stones and rescue it's children from the mysterious Thuggee cult and its high priest, Mola Ram. On the way they encounter a boy ruler, interesting cuisine, a frightening ceremony, and the mines where the village children work as slaves.

The film has some of the most bloodcurdling scenes in the series, from the insect chamber to the battle on the bridge. The film also has some very good characters, such as the young but tough Short Round and Mola Ram, who uses dark magic and might be the most terrifying villain in the series.

The film really picks up at the end as the heroes are thrust into a roller coaster style mine cart chase with the Thuggees and end up fighting them on a suspended rope bridge over crocodile inhabited waters.

In conclusion this entry in the series might not be the best and isn't for the faint of heart, but is very enjoyable and exciting, with great music and special effects.
July 26, 2017
Just like it's predecessor, Temple of Doom manages to take the audience on an epic adventure with Indiana Jones even after going for a more darker tone. This film definitely took a page from Star Wars Empire Strikes Back in that the film is a lot darker than the first but it never loses its core values which is what made me fall in love with the original. There's action, comedy and adventure that follows the same formula from the Lost Ark but the filmmakers still manage to deliver it with originality that leaves you wanting more. So many memorable moments that you will struggle to decide which Indiana Jones movie you love more. If a film can give you that sort of debate then you know its a classic.
July 25, 2017
Not as great as the first film but still a great adventure film that doesn't disappoint.
½ July 8, 2017
Though darker than the first, Temple of Doom is still a gem within the adventure genre.
July 8, 2017
un film slab, m-am plictisit dupa prima jumatate de ora, si nu am mai vazut.
July 2, 2017
It is such a fun adventure movie!The "Indiana Jones" movies are the epitomy of adventure movie,they translate like a theme park ride on screen. This movie was so much funnier than the first one, but the story had some weak spots. The middle act was for me a really weak act, but on the whole the movie was really entertaining. The characters were much more exciting than those of the first movie, with little Jonathan Ke Quan stealing the spotlight. My personal view is that Ford had a better chemistry with Capshaw, at least because their comedy felt better. Spielberg knows what he's doing and it's showing!
June 28, 2017
great classic movie dark and scary
June 21, 2017
It is certainly an amazing movie filled of thrilling adventures and action scenes. The acting is perfect; Harrison Ford did a great performance as Indiana Jones, and Kate Capshaw was well chosen to perform Willie Scott. This movie is a little darker than his precedent, but I think that makes the movie even greater.