Indie Game: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Indie Game: The Movie Reviews

Page 1 of 21
½ January 11, 2017
Edmund McMillen: My whole career has been me, trying to find new ways to communicate with people, because I desperately want to communicate with people, but I don't want the messy interaction of having to make friends and talk to people, because I probably don't like them.

Indie Game como dice el título, narra el detrás de escena de la creación de videojuegos que son creados independientemente, sin la interferencia de grandes compañías. Sigue a Edmund Mcmillen y Tommy Refenes en la creación de Super Meat Boy, a Phillip Fish de Fez, y entrevista a Jonathan Blow que reflexiona en el éxito de Braid, el juego indie más exitoso hasta ese momento. Cuenta la historia de estas personas brutalmente y muestra el estrés y todo el trabajo que conlleva la creación de estos juegos.Son meses y a veces años de trabajo constante.

El proceso empieza con el concepto. Me sorprendió la creatividad detrás de estas historias. Ningún detalle pasa por alto. De ahí viene el traspaso del papel a la pantalla. En el caso de Fez, todo es dibujado pieza por pieza. Es fascinante ver todo el proceso, y aún más por el hecho de que estos creadores al ser independientes, es un trabajo monumental para un pequeño grupo de personas, por lo cual literalmente dedican día y noche a completar estos juegos. En el caso de Phil Fish, ganó una beca del gobierno canadiense y así financió gran parte del juego, pero nunca anticipó que le tomaría cerca de 2 años de trabajo constante antes de poder siquiera presentarlo. Esto sumando a la presión del público, lo sumió en una profunda depresión. Por su parte, Edmund y Tommy se encuentran bajo la misma presión, pero logran balancear la situación y terminan el juego que luego llegó a desplazar a Braid como el juego indie más exitoso.

Este documental te lleva en una montaña rusa de emociones. Por una parte es estresante ser testigo de todo el proceso que conlleva la creación de los juegos, pero a la vez gratificante y inspiracional ver el resultado final. Ver como estas personas sacrifican todo para dar vida a su visión artística y cumplir sus sueños, son un ejemplo a seguir.
October 22, 2016
This wonderfully shot documentary sheds light on the struggles that indie developers go through, and the emotional anguish isn't too different from that of AAA developers. If you enjoy video games in any way, you'll find some enjoyment here, and possibly gain a newfound respect towards the creative minds who make the medium as wonderful as it is.
October 16, 2016
Very good documentary. I love video games, so I was very interested coming in to the movie. It was very real and it added depth to games that I never even thought about.
August 7, 2016
Excellent documentary about indie game developers. I have watched this several times and it holds up every time.
July 24, 2016
story about games and peeps who make them
June 20, 2016
Indie game; The Movie, gives a little insight of the creation of independent games following the development of three games: Super Meat Boy, Fez and Braid.
It shows the human side of the creation of games, which often is forgotten, it also gives you some information about the gaming industry itself. It's a really good documentary if any of that interest you, it's not even require to be a gamer to understand this movie, it's well crafted enough to make it understandable.
It's funny, it's moving and it's interesting, One of my favourite documentaries to watch.
½ March 29, 2016
Okay, so if you don't know who Phil Fish is or what Super Meat Boy is then you aren't going to get much from this. Sure, you'll learn something but you'll probably just as soon forget it. If, however, you are one of the few who, like myself, does have an interest in the world of indie videogaming then this is probably a must-see to be honest.

There's nothing hugely dramatic about it (though Fish tries!) and there's nothing you cant really find out from reading a Wiki page or searching elsewhere around the net but it's good to see the different trials and tribulations behind all of the wildly-successful games in question. Who made that game that I bought on a Steam sale and barely played/have spent significant periods of my life on. What did it mean it mean to them and what would it be like to do something like that myself? These are the kinds of questions that this film is for.
February 10, 2016
One of the best documentaries out there. Even if you don't know how to use a controller, watch this movie.
January 27, 2016
Best documentary i have ever watched
½ January 24, 2016
A great documentary about the story behind super meat boy and PEZ.
Robert B.
Super Reviewer
October 2, 2015
Indie Game works very well as a documentary about what it takes and costs psychologically to do your own thing and get it done. The movie has a nice, clean "professional indie" look reminiscent of Helvetica (the movie). The subjects are not easily likable but that makes them much more interesting and real than the boring bios network television typically puts out of, say, Olympic athletes. The main knock against it is the lack of time spent documenting what the creative process involves. There is a bit of that, but still the film could have used more. Overall, however, Indie Game is a good film for dreamers thinking about doing and entrepreneurs working at it.
½ September 16, 2015
An inspiring and educational look at the psyche and inner workings of popular indie devs and their success stories.
August 18, 2015
Oh man, so many people told me to watch this but it really is such an amazing insight into the gruelling nature of any creative pursuit. Sorry I took so long.
August 15, 2015
An incredible documentary for anyone, that is brimming full of real passion and emotion; the only film that's ever made me cry.
July 2, 2015
Centered around the trials, tribulations, failures and successes of video game projects that independent developers face, Indie Game: The Movie is an overall involving, interesting and insightful documentary. Like most films seem to struggle with, Indie Game drags a little at times but I was overall satisfied when it was over. I found the Fez segment to be the most interesting and artistic, but all three were engaging in their own right, and provided a glimpse of the stressful and at times agonizing process of developing video games. I definitely recommend Indie Game for anyone looking for an informative documentary.
March 25, 2015
Documentário sobre o processo criativo dos jogos indie. Interessante o esforço enlouquecedor dos designers em se expressar por esse meio.
½ February 10, 2015
Really good film following the story of the developers of Braid, Super Meat Boy & Fez through their blood, sweat and tears that went into developing the games up to and including the release and reaction of Brad & Super Meat Boy.
½ January 25, 2015
A thoroughly well-directed and edited documentary that can be watched by all, not just the fans with Super Nintendo's gathering dust in a display cabinet.
January 18, 2015
Fantastic look into the stresses for those building games independently. Some interesting individuals and amazing insights on them and their process.
January 18, 2015
Interesting perspective on indie gamers. Great stories, it's nice to see where these guys come from.
Page 1 of 21