Indie Game: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Indie Game: The Movie Reviews

November 17, 2014
Interesting look at what goes into these games. Stress is high.
November 13, 2014
Documentário bacana sobre o desenvolvimento independente de jogos.
October 23, 2014
interesting, but what an annoying score
½ October 19, 2014
Simply one of the best documentaries ever, worth watching just for the last 20 minutes. so heartwarming and inspiring
October 6, 2014
Brilliant, amazing and very touching
September 30, 2014
Despite it's focus on a sub-sect of independent game developers, you don't need to know your Metroids from your Marios to become involved in the tension and emotional drama of these passionate, likeable and hard working people trying to express themselves in the most modern art form.
September 15, 2014
Indie Game: The Movie is way more interesting than I thought it would've been. Never since Blackfish or Catfish have I been interested in this from beginning to end. It really shows the struggle for the developers to make a game after many years to do, they even affect themselves during the process, and made it felt rewarding after many years in developing. It was very interesting to see how they come up with these indie games. What really fascinate me was Phil Fish as pretty much everyone has talked negatively about him, and he does his best to finish Fez but gets frustrated about many people being impatient about Fez coming out. Although it doesn't talk much about people talking negatively about him in this as it happen more after Fez came out, I was still invested about how he come up into succession and only one guy made it just like with the creator of Braid that made it. But the creators of Super Meat Boy and the creator of Braid did not fall behind as they are interesting too. The creators of Super Meat Boy actually get some laughs here and there that really does make it better. So knowing if someone wants to make a game, they got to know the risks and put lots of time into their game as one of my favorite documentary movies shows that.
September 2, 2014
One of the best documentaries I've ever seem
August 29, 2014
OMG. I love the shots and storyline of this movie. It's simple, streamlined of how two games were being developed and debuted to the world. As a non-gamer or game developer, I can really appreciate what they're doing and the hardship behind that without the film being melodramatic. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
August 23, 2014
An accurate look at the lives of independent video game makers and the hours of sweat/blood/tears they pour into their craft. Also provides an inside look into the making of several great games.
August 23, 2014
deeply personally. lovely filmed.
July 25, 2014
It could've been "Look How Hard It is to Make an Indie Game" or "How It's Made: Indie Games", but I'm so glad this was something much more interesting (considering my general lack of interest in the subject matter) and profound. "Indie Game: The Movie" while always a beat off and over-extended is a remarkable feat of visual craftsmanship and thematically rich. It's alternately a movie about calculated self-expression through art - which IGTM convincingly considers video games a part of - and the confusing journey of loss and sudden regain of identity through a public lens.
½ July 17, 2014
as a game player, I found its depictions of its titular medium rather cursory; however, if you can stand Jon Blow's ostentatious monologues, you'll find a surfeit of hilarity and heart at the bottom of it all (mostly from Phil Fish's antics)
July 15, 2014
It´s great documentary about the life of the developer of indie games and is beautiful watch him who created the game, and the desperation of release game, bugs and much more it's great!.
July 12, 2014
"If you don't see a vulnerability in somebody, you're probably not relating with them on a very personal level."
June 24, 2014
A personal look into the indie-making progress, the hells, burdens, and art that goes into creating unique video games. Hard work can pay off but not without a few cramps and tears.
June 16, 2014
A movie about the art of suffering for another's art. Teeth grinding self pity from post adolescents. When one of them mentioned the possibility of suicide, I cheered up.
June 15, 2014
A pretty well made documentary. Maybe they could have shown a broader perspective on the scene, but it was entertaining nonetheless.
½ June 6, 2014
Not especially penetrative or insightful regarding indie development in general, but it offers some sympathetic portraits of a few indie giants who are usually made out to be devils by the media and gamers alike, particularly Phil Fish.
½ June 5, 2014
Inspiring, terrifying, and almost deadly to view (to a fault), "Indie Game: The Movie" is a captivating documentary about the lives of three separate independent video game design companies who are all in the process of getting their game into the market. If you ever play a platform game online and say that it sucks, I highly recommend that you watch this film before ever saying such things again. This film will not change the fact that some games out there are dreadfully bad, but it will definitely make you reconsider whether or not you want to just rip it apart. This film has given me more insight to the video game industry than I had ever known throughout my lifetime. Beautifully shot and incredibly displaying these stressful stories, this is one of my favourite documentaries to date. I loved every aspect of it. My only issue with the film is that it may be a little repetitive with it's location shots, and it's editing is great, but it feels quick at times. Every emotional moment that needed to be captured, was, and I really appreciated the time they took to show us that. I love this movie!