Indie Game: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Indie Game: The Movie Reviews

June 15, 2014
A pretty well made documentary. Maybe they could have shown a broader perspective on the scene, but it was entertaining nonetheless.
½ June 6, 2014
Not especially penetrative or insightful regarding indie development in general, but it offers some sympathetic portraits of a few indie giants who are usually made out to be devils by the media and gamers alike, particularly Phil Fish.
½ June 5, 2014
Inspiring, terrifying, and almost deadly to view (to a fault), "Indie Game: The Movie" is a captivating documentary about the lives of three separate independent video game design companies who are all in the process of getting their game into the market. If you ever play a platform game online and say that it sucks, I highly recommend that you watch this film before ever saying such things again. This film will not change the fact that some games out there are dreadfully bad, but it will definitely make you reconsider whether or not you want to just rip it apart. This film has given me more insight to the video game industry than I had ever known throughout my lifetime. Beautifully shot and incredibly displaying these stressful stories, this is one of my favourite documentaries to date. I loved every aspect of it. My only issue with the film is that it may be a little repetitive with it's location shots, and it's editing is great, but it feels quick at times. Every emotional moment that needed to be captured, was, and I really appreciated the time they took to show us that. I love this movie!
May 30, 2014
Even though the "serious" drama can become laughable, Indie Game movie is a charming, humorous look into the world of indie game development.
May 30, 2014
Moving and made me want to work hard on something I had a passion for. It's a very interesting documentary, and a great sit.
May 15, 2014
it's an interesting glimpse into the various highs and lows of indie developers.
May 5, 2014
A surprisingly warm & interesting documentary about some of the personalities that fill the Independent Game Scene.

This film focuses on three individuals who are incredible talented yet tormented by their need to breakaway & succeed.

The amount of work these individuals go through & the stress is astounding. But they really stand in their own in the market. A fresh film that is unexpectingly compelling.
½ April 15, 2014
A fresh and zappy exploration of the art of video games, that shows you the problems of independent gaming and how much of a gamble it is in the world of major corporations.
½ April 14, 2014
For those who know and felt the pain and the joy. And for the love of Braid!
½ April 11, 2014
A superbly constructed documentary
½ March 29, 2014
Hard to watch at first as these somewhat socially inept individual tell you exactly how they are feeling without holding back emotion, but it is also this uncensored look at their life that makes it appealing. Film does it good job at showing the frustration and tension of going at it alone.
½ March 5, 2014
A heart-warming tale of developers who look to bring the best game possible to their audience, and how this adventure has many, many bumps on the road that will make you realize the true work of a hard-working and passionate game developer. This movie has so much more to offer than just videogames, and it is what really made me sit in my chair for the whole movie ( I do not do it very often), just wanting to see how the tale would end.
February 23, 2014
Loved it! Now in search of japanese version-ish. :)
½ February 18, 2014
Highly recommended if you want to watch some self entitled hipsters get angry and say that no one can understand their games like they do. Absolutely painful to watch.
½ February 11, 2014
Amazingly well done! Will appeal to ANY GEEK or entrepreneur with a dream. Must see. Highly recommended.
February 9, 2014
slightly boring but interesting at the same time to see the stress game developers are under to get their games to launch
½ February 6, 2014
By casting such a wide net and focusing on indie games as a whole, the various figures in "Indie Game: The Movie" feel less like individuals and more like barely-sketched archetypes. There's so much bouncing around that we never get a fully-formed picture of any of these developers, nor their games (Fish is the frustrated one, Blow is the wise veteran, Refenes is the antisocial recluse, McMillen is the inspiring family man, etc.). There's also some odd editing choices that don't work (using the same interview footage multiple times, starting in-media-res and then jumping backwards in time, a montage of McMillen watching Youtube videos celebrating Meat Boy seemingly on the day it was released, etc.). There's a lot to like here, as the subject is fascinating, but there's some questionable choices that bog down the whole experience.
½ February 5, 2014
Um filme independente, sobre games independentes. Uma atividade gera pessoas solitárias e um tanto neuróticas, que se expressam pelos jogos que criam.
½ January 26, 2014
Still trying to understand all that guys deeper... still absorbing all that information... and I definitely like the movie!
January 26, 2014
I don't know much about the history of this film beyond it coming up through Kickstarter, but there might have been some luck involved here in that they covered Super Meat Boy and Fez, two of the most loved and widely covered indie games to be released the last few years. Braid gets covered as well as an example of a huge success that had already been released. Though the film is more about the creators than the games themselves, I'd recommend it for any fans of those 3 games. Really well made.