Inescapable - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inescapable Reviews

½ May 19, 2016
Inescapable is a disappointing film. It is about Adib Abdel Kareem who must confront what he left behind in Damascus when his daughter goes missing. Alexander Siddig and Joshua Jackson give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Ruba Nadda did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
June 15, 2015
That inescapable feeling that I wish I did not watch this boring drone of a supposed thriller.
May 11, 2015
Marisa Tomei plays a great Arab woman. I liked the twist and turn of the plot and the topical relevance of Syria. A very entertaining thriller.
April 27, 2015
A father's desperate search for his daughter in the chaos that is Damascus, Syria. A Canadian production. Liked it.
April 26, 2015
Solid entertaining movie. Yeah I know the premise has a been there done that story but it's really good.

October 7, 2014
A rather limp film around a native syrian having to go back to rescue his kidnapped daughter. Lacks the intensity of Taken or Ransom.
½ September 25, 2014
Not much in terms of surprises but a solid enough thriller with some good performances.
September 22, 2014
Inescapable sees a father whose daughter is travelling the world and ends up being taken hostage when she travels to Syria to find out about his past. Little does she know what she stumbles upon and finds the father he left Syria many years ago return and must keep a low profile in order for him not to be captured and executed
½ July 30, 2014
"Two women, once a lesbian couple and now just friends, leave for a seminar together. Their current girlfriends, left to their own devices, fall for each other and begin a desperate steamy affair," says IMDB.

Err.. no. Oops. Sorry, wrong 'Inescapable'. I did not watch the horridly atrocious girl-on-girl flick by writer/director Helen Lesnick from 2003. Rather I watched the excellent 2012 movie from Ruba Nadda starring an excellent Alexander Siddig.
As is the case with an unfortunate number of movies the last couple of years, most of the audience reviews you will find online for 'Inescapable' focus on how this movie portrays the country it was (supposedly) shot in and how the author of that review doesn't agree with the (political) view of said country that is given in the movie. First off, that is unnecessary. Second, did anyone ask for that? Third, this is a movie. So what?!.

'Professional' reviewers are getting on my nerves more and more as well these days. Who cares -in relation to this work of fiction- if Syria is in the news right now? Who cares if the shooting locations in South Africa and Lebanon do not really look like Syria? And lastly: any 'professional' review writer who compares this story to 'Taken' has disqualified him/herself from being taken seriously by me.

Back to the production at hand. This is a movie that is very different from 'Taken' and the likes. The main character is Adib (Siddig), a successful Syrian immigrant in Canada who learns that one of his daughters, on a road trip in Europe, has vanished on a secret visit to her father's birth country. Adib has very good reasons to never go back there, but is forced now his daughter has gone missing. We follow him as he pursues different avenues to get his daughter back.

Siddig plays a layered, very human character. He is -thankfully- nowhere near the superhuman ex-CIA combat soldier portrayed by Liam Neeson in 'Taken'. He brings the story to life here. The pace is nice. No unnecessary shots of travel or family drama. Even though the movie was obviously not shot in the warzone that is Syria these days, the movie does a good job of portraying what you'd expect the situation to be in this fictional story.

See, I didn't say it portrays Syria accurately. God knows I don't have any clue of how it looks there and I have no desire whatsoever to find out or to read about it in movie review. So what if the Syrians speak English in this movie. I'm always glad when I don't have to read subtitles.

I'm not going to spoil the story here. I'm just going to say it has several layers and some twists and turns that keep it interesting. Not so many that you wonder why the hell you ever chose to watch this movie, but enough to keep you awake. It's produced well and has nice visuals. Please ignore negative reviews for this one. You won't regret it.

Pros: Great acting, well-developed story.
Cons: none
Verdict: Go see!
½ April 21, 2014
"Taken" with much less action and much more politics. Great acting.
½ March 19, 2014
Despite its problems, Syria is a country I truly enjoyed. For me this movie seemed to capture its people wonderfully. Little real action was needed to keep the tension of the story up..
February 4, 2014
Mild execution when it coulda, woulda, been like Taken. It beats a kick in the head, but in all it's a meh. Plus, why would Marisa Tomei been cast as the Demascus woman, couldn't they get someone of middle eastern origin?
½ December 31, 2013
Inescapable reminded me of Not Without My Daughter with Sally Field, but this one was based in Syria before the current civil war. I couldn't believe Marisa Tomie was casted as a Syrian woman, she did do a swell job with her Arabic accent. This was a good movie overall, but could have added more dramatic instances.
½ December 11, 2013
Monday, December 9, 2013

(2012) Inescapable

While the notion may be the same as other political missing persons movies as "The Constant Gardner", 1982 "Missing" starring Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek, perhaps the 1956 version of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" starring James Stewart and Doris Day among other movies, the situations are different. Starring Alexander Siddig as a 20 year Canadian citizen Adib having to return to the country where he originally escape from which is Syria, for the purpose of first, finding his daughter, and then second, to bring her back to Canada. We don't know too much about Adib as much until he returns back to the country where he originally abandoned or had escaped from, viewers get to witness some of his past about what he used to do and the sacrifices he had to make upon leaving a ruler who's also known to be a dictator by the name of Bashar al-Assad as his picture is plastered onto walls. For by judging this movie as a whole it almost seems that the 'missing persons' scenario almost serves as a backdrop to the political unrest that exists in Syria since I didn't know Syria had the 'secret police' functioning in their country in the first place. Marissa Tomei also stars as Fatima an Oscar winning actress I barely could recognize, and Joshua Jackson also stars as Paul who works for the embassy. Written and directed by Ruba Nadda using actor Alexander Siddig for a second feature after "Cairo Time" is somewhat an enlightening type of movie about what used to happened over in Syria which may be worst right now in comparison to what happened back then.

3 out of 4 stars
November 15, 2013
Nadda's attempt to make a film - a thriller - that might reach a larger audience than his far better 'art' films about characters / individuals.. although the acting is admirable and the photography is respectable, the story is predictable; no surprises here.. the subject might be timely but the story becomes dull.. he shudda' hung out for an equally (if not the same) timeline but a way better storyline - he had the actors to do so...
September 2, 2013
I suffered through half of this movie and decided that if I wanted to watch a father chase down foreign bad guys to get his daughter back I would stick to watching 'Taken'.
½ August 28, 2013
i gave this suckfest 60 min of my life and nothing happened-some dude walks around syria talking to people. what a dud. hollywood: things have toi actually happen in a movie in order for people to be entertained by it. der.
½ August 24, 2013
Fascinating political thriller
½ August 5, 2013
19% of critics couldn't be wrong...
August 4, 2013