Infamous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Infamous Reviews

½ February 3, 2014
No Capote but decent movie. Sandra Bullock as Harper Lee was a brilliant move. Toby Jones overplayed Capote.
½ January 24, 2014
An odd film and very difficult to summarise, did we need 2 Capote films? Is it enough for a film to be acted excellently and little else? Does either film live up to the original novel and subsequent film adaptation? I'm not sure I felt any of those questions were answered for me.
November 17, 2013
"Capote", the initial telling of Truman Capote's writing of In Cold Blood was released in 2005 and won Philip Seymour Hoffman an Oscar, plus received four other Oscar nominations. Yet, within a year another movie on the In Cold Blood story was released, "Infamous". What possessed the producers of the latter to make another movie on the subject, and so soon after the former, I do not know. Perhaps it was already in the works when Capote was released and they decided to push ahead anyway.

This said, I enjoyed Infamous more than Capote. While good, Capote was cold, almost documentary-like. Infamous is warmer and more emotional. It vividly captures the relationship between Truman Capote and Perry Smith, one of the murderers. The execution scene is particularly harrowing. Plus it gives a more explicit indication of the effect that the writing of In Cold Blood, and its success, had on Capote. The character depth is greater in Infamous too, and not Capote's character. The New York social scene helps greater a wider breadth of characters, and proves much warmth to the story.

Great performance by Toby Jones as Capote. Good support from Daniel Craig as Perry Smith, Sandra Bullock as Harper Lee and Jeff Daniels as the police chief. Some big names in minor roles too, and none of them disappoint: Sigourney Weaver, Peter Bagdanovich, Hope Davis, Isabella Rossellini and Gwyneth Paltrow.

The definitive story of the writing of In Cold Blood, and its aftermath.
October 24, 2013
3 1/4 stars pretty good
September 5, 2013
Capote did it first, and it did it better. Way better.
August 6, 2013
1993's Schindler's List Is My Fifth Favorite Film Of All Time.
July 21, 2013
Really good. Really well done. Really moving...Too many people compared this movie to Phillip Seymour Hoffman's movie. Not really fair, because it is taken from a different viewpoint entirely. Toby Jones is more convincing as Truman than Hoffman (and I am a very big fan of Hoffman). By the end of this movie, I was left with a heavy heart for Truman...
½ June 28, 2013
Infamous is an excellent film. It is about writer Truman Capote who develops a close relationship with convicted murderers Dick Hickock and Perry Smith while researching his book In Cold Blood. Toby Jones and Sandra Bullock give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Douglas McGrath did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the drama. Infamous is a must see.
April 13, 2013
I loved this movie ....
April 11, 2013
As far as cinematic elements go, this is totally not as well produced as "Capote", but I think the plot line is far more impactful, and it picks no bones as far as placing Truman in relation to the killer. Now, whether that relationship was true or not...Quien Sabe?
March 23, 2013
A dramatic telling of how author, Truman Capote, did research for his non-fictional work, In Cold Blood! The acting in this film is amazing, and it's completely better at telling it's story than "Capote."
March 22, 2013
Five star - Jones portrayal is incredibly realistic. Great script
March 2, 2013
I have been a Sandra Bullock fan for years. I found her performance measured, powerful, and poetic. The best part of a good film.
February 27, 2013
Prefer this to the other one. Toby Jones is fantastic
February 22, 2013
Struggles with itself at first, but once it finds gear, 'Infamous' depicts rather wonderfully the events that lead to Truman Capote's 'In Cold Blood'. Whilst looking occasionally televisual, it is nevertheless a brilliant balance of humour and melancholy, keeping you entertained and engaged, whilst never losing track of the morose event at its heart, it has something to say about the artist, too.

A star-studded cast all turn in terrific performances in a film that was quickly overshadowed, but if you though Philip S. Hoffman gave a good performance as the man (which he did), then you haven't seen anything yet. Tobey Jones disappears here! Recommended viewing.
½ February 16, 2013
This wasn't bad, but I think the Philip Seymour Hoffman Capote film was better.
January 5, 2013
The probably more accurate portrayal of Capote the person, and Bullock was finally showing some acting chops as Harper Lee. Great film.
December 20, 2012
Uh, wasn't this called "Capote"?
½ December 7, 2012
''So you think your book is worth a human life?''

While researching his book In Cold Blood, writer Truman Capote (Jones) develops a close relationship with convicted murderers Dick Hickock and Perry Smith.

Toby Jones: Truman Capote

Douglas McGrath, the Director of Infamous feels the need to grace us with this insight into Truman Capote's point of life just before and during the creation of his controversial book ''In Cold Blood''. I have yet to see the seemingly appearing superior Capote featuring Philip Seymour Hoffman, but Infamous despite having a star lit cast didn't quite have a cutting edge.

Granted it has it's moments, dry humour mixed with that lacy sarcasm that Capote always possessed. It has characters talking in a like documentary interview style which sometimes annoyed me somewhat.
Infamous actually succeeds in being emotional in one or two scenes. Especially ones where Capote and Perry Smith are together.

''Do you think everyone keeps calling me lady to be mean, or can they honestly not tell?''

Performances range from standard fare to mediocre to above average.
Toby Jones as Truman Capote, seems to be such a small enigmatic portrayal on his part. Having seen him in City Of Ember the other day, this character couldn't be further from the previous one. He's openly gay, sneaky, sarcastic and resembles and sounds like a little old lady from Kansas. All that being said it's not a bad thing because it makes the character of Capote that bit more interesting to us the audience.
Another performance that really should be mentioned 2nd to Toby is that of Daniel Craig.

Craig plays Perry Smith one of the Murderers behind the Cutter incident. He's the most stand out character here besides Capote who has depth and believability. Craig even went as far as to have brown contacts, tattoos, and dark hair to completely absorb himself into the role.

Whats even more interesting is the relationship that evolves between writer and subject. A relationship that turns into an understanding, and a love that is tragically not meant to last, which is cruelly ripped away by higher powers. Let's not forget that this Perry is an intelligent man, a reflective soul who's had unfortunate things happen in his life that have led up to this act of great desperation. He's not innocent but that doesn't mean he's not sorry.
Other performances are more like extended cameos from a range of Stars including Gwyneth Paltrow who pops up near the beginning, Isabella Rossellini, Jeff Daniels, Lee Pace, Peter Bogdanovich, Hope Davis and Sandra Bullock.

''To the lucky person who has never heard it, I can only say: imagine what a brussel sprout would sound like, if a brussel sprout could talk.''

This Infamous not only tells of the perspective of punishment, the morals behind law and crime, and the decline of a Writer lost in his efforts to complete his book. He falls in love, and vice versa, which also leads to the tragedy of losing this new found love. Infamous tells of the strange, the pragmatic, and the surreal confines of a mind, which at first is in it for self gratification but then wants to redeem his subject, his anti-hero and protagonist.

It's very clever in places if what sometimes annoying, Infamous to me could use some editing and an ending more in tune with shocking and causing something memorable with viewers as opposed to just cutting it short with more interview type proceedings. Worth a watch, and it's renewed my interest in seeing the latter, Capote whom I saw Philip win best Actor a while ago.
Toby Jones is more comical than believable in his portrayal.

''Who says I'm strange?''
½ December 5, 2012
Far more interesting & better portrayal than the overrated Capote and imo nearly as great as In Cold Blood