Infamous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Infamous Reviews

½ August 6, 2014
"Infamous" has a sharp angle of approach in detailing the story of its subject and the result is a heartbreaking and multi-layered film that treats its material sensitively.
August 2, 2014
wow....fantastic....amazing......i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that toby jones, sandra bullock, daniel craig, sigourney weaver, gwyneth paltrow, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......

According to writer/director Douglas McGrath in his DVD commentary, many of the scenes in Infamous, most notably a dramatic sexual encounter between Capote and inmate Perry Smith (played by Craig), occurred only in McGrath's imagination.

The film's original title alternated between Have You Heard? and Every Word Is True.

The singer portrayed by Gwyneth Paltrow originally was intended to be Peggy Lee. The situation of an audience being held spellbound by a performer falling silent in the middle of a song was based on a real-life nightclub performance by Barbara Cook.

i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is so really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.....

Toby Jones won the London Film Critics Circle Award for British Actor of the Year. He also won the Best Actor Award at the Ibiza International Film Festival. Daniel Craig was nominated for the Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Actor but lost to Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine.

its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch.....i think that both Lee Pace as Richard Hickock, Daniel Craig as Perry Smith, were absolutley fantastic throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie.....its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch
½ July 17, 2014
I actually liked this movie (mostly bcause it had alot to do with a autobiography n it) but also bcause u got to know more of the character of the man who was writin' the autobiography,too. What I didn't like about it was bcause of all of the gayness in it, I thought that they could take away alot of that from the movie and I also didn't like how Sandra's character wasn't n it as much as some of her other movies,too. In the movie, it felt like her character was more shy,distant and didn't wanna b part of the spotlight of Capote's autobiography....it did drag abit too much but it was a good movie,tho. Just not 1 of Sandra's best,I thought.
May 31, 2014
A very funny, entertaining and surprising movie. Sad and realistic ending. Loved it.
April 5, 2014
Very good movie. I finally saw it today, looking for a free movie to watch On Demand. Better than CAPOTE. It delved into more of the characters than CAPOTE did. Very poignant - looking at the humanity behind cold-blooded killers - and the writer of the book about them that gets to know them.
March 14, 2014
Went to the premiere at the London Film Festival. It was very good, but having not seen Capote, I can't tell you if its better. But I really enjoyed it and there are some great performances, especially from Toby Jones, Sandra Bullock and Daniel Craig. Expect Oscar nominations!
½ February 3, 2014
No Capote but decent movie. Sandra Bullock as Harper Lee was a brilliant move. Toby Jones overplayed Capote.
½ January 24, 2014
An odd film and very difficult to summarise, did we need 2 Capote films? Is it enough for a film to be acted excellently and little else? Does either film live up to the original novel and subsequent film adaptation? I'm not sure I felt any of those questions were answered for me.
November 17, 2013
"Capote", the initial telling of Truman Capote's writing of In Cold Blood was released in 2005 and won Philip Seymour Hoffman an Oscar, plus received four other Oscar nominations. Yet, within a year another movie on the In Cold Blood story was released, "Infamous". What possessed the producers of the latter to make another movie on the subject, and so soon after the former, I do not know. Perhaps it was already in the works when Capote was released and they decided to push ahead anyway.

This said, I enjoyed Infamous more than Capote. While good, Capote was cold, almost documentary-like. Infamous is warmer and more emotional. It vividly captures the relationship between Truman Capote and Perry Smith, one of the murderers. The execution scene is particularly harrowing. Plus it gives a more explicit indication of the effect that the writing of In Cold Blood, and its success, had on Capote. The character depth is greater in Infamous too, and not Capote's character. The New York social scene helps greater a wider breadth of characters, and proves much warmth to the story.

Great performance by Toby Jones as Capote. Good support from Daniel Craig as Perry Smith, Sandra Bullock as Harper Lee and Jeff Daniels as the police chief. Some big names in minor roles too, and none of them disappoint: Sigourney Weaver, Peter Bagdanovich, Hope Davis, Isabella Rossellini and Gwyneth Paltrow.

The definitive story of the writing of In Cold Blood, and its aftermath.
October 24, 2013
3 1/4 stars pretty good
September 5, 2013
Capote did it first, and it did it better. Way better.
August 6, 2013
1993's Schindler's List Is My Fifth Favorite Film Of All Time.
July 21, 2013
Really good. Really well done. Really moving...Too many people compared this movie to Phillip Seymour Hoffman's movie. Not really fair, because it is taken from a different viewpoint entirely. Toby Jones is more convincing as Truman than Hoffman (and I am a very big fan of Hoffman). By the end of this movie, I was left with a heavy heart for Truman...
½ June 28, 2013
Infamous is an excellent film. It is about writer Truman Capote who develops a close relationship with convicted murderers Dick Hickock and Perry Smith while researching his book In Cold Blood. Toby Jones and Sandra Bullock give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Douglas McGrath did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the drama. Infamous is a must see.
April 13, 2013
I loved this movie ....
April 11, 2013
As far as cinematic elements go, this is totally not as well produced as "Capote", but I think the plot line is far more impactful, and it picks no bones as far as placing Truman in relation to the killer. Now, whether that relationship was true or not...Quien Sabe?
March 23, 2013
A dramatic telling of how author, Truman Capote, did research for his non-fictional work, In Cold Blood! The acting in this film is amazing, and it's completely better at telling it's story than "Capote."
March 22, 2013
Five star - Jones portrayal is incredibly realistic. Great script
March 2, 2013
I have been a Sandra Bullock fan for years. I found her performance measured, powerful, and poetic. The best part of a good film.
February 27, 2013