Informant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Informant Reviews

½ April 8, 2014
This guy was nuts. Don't know how either "side" trusted him. Interesting documentary for sure but what a snake oil salesman.
December 27, 2013
Even though this doc is firmly grounded in politics, it's real subject is a character study of the kind of egomaniac that doesn't care what he really believes--as long as he's the center of attention.
December 22, 2013
Perhaps the stupidest movie I've ever seen in my entire life. Do yourself a favor and do anything else for 2 hours of your life
½ November 30, 2013
An interesting look at a very confusing and bizarre story. Writer/director Jamie Meltzer certainly wanted to show both sides of this story, but I'm not sure he accomplished it. It's certainly not a bad documentary, but I found myself losing interest and zoning out more than once.
October 15, 2013
Excellent documentary--thought provoking and well-crafted.
September 17, 2013
Even-sided and well put-together.
Harlequin68
½ September 16, 2013
With the documentary "Informant," let's start with what is known:

Brandon Darby once worked with a collective in post-Katrina New Orleans to provide basic services for the populace. Three years later, he goes undercover as an FBI informant to gather information on militant activists intent on disrupting the Republican Convention in Minneapolis. Needless to say, there are more than a few people who feel betrayed by this second part.

But rewind and forget all the politics for a second, even though it is cool to see another collective in action doing a lot of good for the community. Before that, Darby drives from Austin, Tx to rescue his friend King from the floodwaters, thus making him a hero. But it is this same heroic attitude that makes him an ill fit for the everyday tasks of the collective where the workers are required to get their hands dirty, not to mention the meetings which while containing no action are necessary for forming ideas and hearing from members. So, frustrated, Darby looks elsewhere to continue being a hero and for the adulation he feels he deserves, even continuing to be given another chance while playing himself in this documentary. And I almost feel a little sorry for him, until about the last fifteen minutes.
September 14, 2013
I slept through some of it...and shook my head at disbelief at his Tea Party ego on display. I do not recommend this film.