The Inn of the Sixth Happiness Reviews

• Feb 22, 2019

You can't help but notice Ingrid Bergman's sunny presence, but there's nothing remarkable in her acting. The speed at which she is accepted by the whole province (a few seconds in the film) with no scenes to describe what she did to earn this acclaim as the "one who loves" is totally unbelievable. The film just beats this fact into you with nothing to back it up. Long and boring, this attempt at covering 1930s China during the pre-World War II Japanese attacks is meandering and dull. This film does not hit the mark.

• Feb 21, 2019

Some movies are so good, so good that it should be illegal. The Inn of the Sixth Happiness (Mark Robson, 1958), is one of them. It would be impossible for me to describe how much I love this film, from the beginning to the end. There isnot a moment in this 2h30 film that I find boring or too long. Yes, it's a long film, but I wouldn't mind if it was longer! It's the kind of movie that makes you want to change the world, that makes you feel strong. It's a movie that makes you live various emotions: happiness, love, sadness, hope, etc. The best adjective to describe The Inn of the Sixth would be: POWERFUL. Powerful because it has a strong impact on you. Being a real tearjerker, you can't not feel moved after having seen it. Oh, and it has Ingrid Bergman. What more can we ask? I believe this was Ingrid Bergman's most touching performance. I simply love her in this. Her acting is so honest, so strong. We really connect with her. The Inn of the Sixth Happiness was nominated for Best Director Oscar (but didn't win). It won a Golden Globes for Best Film Promoting International Understanding and was nominated for Best Motion Picture Actress " Drama (Ingrid Bergman) and Best Motion Picture Actor " Drama (Robert Donat). Ingrid Bergman and Kurt Jurgens were also both nominated for a BAFTA Award (Best Foreign Actor and Best Foreign Actress). Mark Robson received a DGA Award nomination for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion Pictures. Finally, both Ingrid Bergman and Robert Donat won a Best Actress and Best Actor National Board of Review, USA Award. The film was the second most popular film at the British Box Office in 1959. In other words, the reception was good.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best inspiring movie ever made! With the best movie character ever portrayed: Ingrid Bergman as Gladys Aylward! And the best movie score ever composed!

• May 19, 2018

This seemed contrived and dramatic just for the sake of Bergman. Her melodrama doesn't always go well for me.

• Jan 26, 2017

It was great to see a movie shot "on location". Bergman was a treasure!

It was great to see a movie shot "on location". Bergman was a treasure!

• Sep 21, 2016

The Inn of the Sixth Happiness is an excellent film. It is about Gladys Aylward who knew that China was the place where she belonged. Ingrid Bergman and Robert Donat give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Mark Robson did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. The Inn of the Sixth Happiness is a must see.

• Apr 02, 2016

Well done movie, good production valyes, excellent acting, Occidental actors Jurgens and Donat were used in stead of Orientals reducing the genuineness of the story. The most disappointing aspect is the unresolved love story between the Jurgens and Bergman roles. Yes they love each other but never get past the first kiss due to circumstances - mainly the movie ran out of time.

• Jan 19, 2016

I loved this movie. It combines an intensely personal story with a compelling plot.

• Oct 31, 2015

While the film takes some liberties from the actual story, great film overall. What an incredible life this woman lived! Great acting from ingrid. A great epic of a film. Entirely captivating and wonderfully told. Good family film.

• Oct 16, 2015

Troubled by the lack of Chinese actors in main roles, but enjoyed the "This Old Man" song as they crossed the mountains when they were supposed to be stealthy...