Innerspace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Innerspace Reviews

February 2, 2015
InnerSpace is a wild, preposterous, entertaining movie, largely because of how relentlessly wacky the story is.
January 22, 2015
It's been a long time since I saw this film, but when I stuck my new DVD into the player it was just like coming back to an old friend. I used to watch Innerspace frequently because it was just that right mix of science-fiction and comedy to keep teenage Ben totally entertained. Looking at it now I did notice that, while the visual effects are remarkable for their time, there's a lot more fiction to this and not much science. That doesn't really bother me because now I'm just watching it for the laughs. If you haven't seen Innerspace, it is about an experiment where Dennis Quaid is shrunk down and injected into Martin Short's body. That's all you need to know. Dennis Quaid is charming and yet kind of a jerk as Tuck Pendleton and that works as a complete contrast to Martin Short's turn as Jack Putter. I know some people don't connect with Martin Short's variety of physical comedy, but I find it perfectly fits for his role in this film, no one plays hyperactive and overly neurotic better than him. Meg Ryan shows up in one of her early film roles and is that perfect mix of tough and innocent. Most of the supporting cast is great as well, particularly Robert Picardo who kind of gets to play 2 roles.

Innerspace is a very silly film. I know some people will take issue with the illogical nature of certain events in the movie, but you have to be willing to shut off your brain for a little while and just take the ride with these characters. The way they structured Innerspace is almost akin to a buddy-cop movie (where both of the "cops" are inside the same body.) I love that they added so much action (and a few impressive stunts) into something that could have relied solely on the jokes. One of the neat things they talk about in the commentary is that while filming, despite the fact that the 2 main actors were not really shooting together, they would show up for one-another's scenes. This allowed for a very natural banter and some improv, and you can sense it in their performances. There are lots of people who won't get the level of enjoyment out of Innerspace that I do, and I'm perfectly willing to admit there is some nostalgia playing into my opinion. However if you like a good laugh, and can lose yourself in a film despite some silly "science" I'd recommend you give this movie a try.
January 18, 2015
Fun movie! You can barely go wrong with Joe Dante films when it comes to great special effects and decent entertainment.
½ December 14, 2014
I was surprised, this movie was actually pretty good and it was very well-written. The movie provided a good amount of action, humor, and a few interesting plot twists. I recommend.
November 18, 2014
One of my childhood favourite's :)
½ November 14, 2014
A fun and harmless comedy that doesn't live up to its potential. 67/100
½ July 8, 2014
Not into stupid humor but I liked this one.
January 24, 2014
Not many films combine comedy and SciFi in such smooth blend with new and interesting characters. Can't wait for the sequel which should be called "Jack Potter to the Rescue!"
January 22, 2014
This movie is very adventurous!
½ January 2, 2014
Ok movie. Frenetic zaniness goes overboard here. Martin Short fans tho will find a goldmine here!
Sorry, I'm generally not a Short fan.
½ December 19, 2013
one of the classics!
December 19, 2013
This movie is basically a Fantastic Voyage for the 80's, but it's also one of those movies where all the elements are all over the place, and nothing really fits together quite right. The plot is entertainingly zany, but I think it's rather hard to follow at the beginning, though eventually, everything starts making sense. The characters aren't too bad, but at the same time, I don't really care for them. The overall style, on the other hand, though rather typical of the 80's, is actually somewhat enjoyable. Though the film may be somewhat lacking in humour, some of the zanier scenes make up for it, especially when the plot starts getting more far out.
½ December 12, 2013
This movie is a nice bit of fun with great special effects however, for a movie that is supposedly set inside the human body, you see very little of it. 95% of the movie focuses on crazy subplots involving a cowboy, a campy James Bond style villain whose base is the corner of a car park and Martin Short being Martin Short, which is mildly entertaining and charming but mostly feels like filler. The awesome scenes of inside the body is what really appeals, it's just a shame it only amounts to a couple of minutes of total screen time. The actors all have great chemistry and work well together but the awe and excitement of what could have been a more Fantastic Voyage like epic journey through uncharted and dangerous territory is replaced with all too familiar zaniness for it's own sake. But the little of the good stuff we do get is worth it so check it out, if you don't have Fantastic Voyage on hand.
November 17, 2013
love it 80's cheese at it's best
½ October 7, 2013
Sci-Fi comedy really comes together with the starring of Meg Ryan, Martin Short and Dennis Quaid. The latter 2 mash extremely well and provided many serious laughs. When there was no laughs, there was great action!
October 6, 2013
Mid-80s comedy thriller, in which a miniaturized Dennis Quaid is injected into hypochondriac Martin Short after an experiment in which Quaid is participating is interrupted by those who want the technology for their own ends.

Worth watching for the 'inside-body' effects, as well as for perhaps one of Martin Shorts best comedy performances (second only, in my opinion, to 'The Three Amigos!').
October 6, 2013
perfect sunday afteroon viewing
September 29, 2013
Entertaining movie...
½ August 29, 2013
"It's just a little theistic hysteria."
August 18, 2013
A Fast-Moving Fun Action Comedy From Producer Steven Spielberg & Director Joe Dante. Dante Provides Us With a Comic Take On The Classic Sci-Fi Film Fantastic Voyage. This Film Pulls This Off Very Well And Features The Great Cast Of Dennis Quaid, Martin Short & Meg Ryan.