Innerspace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Innerspace Reviews

½ December 28, 2015
Despite a few scenes where Martin Short goes a bit over the top, I really enjoyed watching this. A good movie from the 80's that is worth seeing if you haven't already.
October 30, 2015
Classic, funny, suprisingly rude and more than a little stupid. pure 80s entertainment
½ October 8, 2015
A crazy sci-fi comedy romance that can only be made in the 80s. Martin Short is very funny and the the movie is enjoyable with some nifty special effects. A fun ride in and out of the human body.

Grade: B+
September 25, 2015
Fun Fantastic voyage type of adventure movie. Martin Short is great as always. and why the hell doesn't Joe Dante work more?!!
August 3, 2015
With a strong cast and pure inventiveness, Innerspace has a great set-up and payoff throughout the whole movie.
June 19, 2015
a silly little flick about man's desire to explore the microbiological universe
Martin Short, Dennis Quaid, and Meg Ryan share ripe chemistry together
being inside a human being has never been so funny or gross depending on your taste of the scenario
Joe Dante still has that creativity with effects and actors
May 25, 2015
My favorite Joe Dante film and one of my all-time favorite comedies. I know this film isn't considered an 80s classic like "Back to the Future" but for whatever reason this is a film that I've always loved. In my video store clerk days, "Innerspace" was one of I always had on high rotation to play during my shifts. The script is by Jeffrey Boam, who had too short of a career but wrote some very good film, and Steven Spielberg produced the film, which is kind of a comic/action take on "The Fantastic Voyage." Dennis Quaid is shrunk down to miniature size so he can be injected into a rabbit, but when bad guys breaking the lab to steal the technology, he get's injected into a hapless Safeway clerk, Martin Short. Quaid established contact with Short through his inner ear and the two then team up to stop by the bad buys and safely get Quaid out of Short. The film is also greatly helped by Meg Ryan, playing Quaid's girlfriend and a plucky reporter working to uncover the story of technological espionage. The script is witty and clever, the characters are likable, the action if exciting, and the cast is especially good. I remembered most of the jokes in the film, but there were a number of them that I'd forgotten and still cracked me up; Martin Short in the doctor's office, Quaid telling Short how to fight or talk to women, Quaid psyching Short up to jump out of a moving truck or (SPOILER ALERT!) the way director Dante shoots the bad guys after they get shrunk to 50% just kills me. Director Dante also gets a lot of credit for creating a real connection between Short and Quaid, who are never actually in the same shot together until the end of the film. And this is movie that made me start a crush on Meg Ryan. I'd seen her in "Top Gun" and "Armed and Dangerous" and liked her there, but this was the film that really gave her the opportunity to show off her cute charm. Besides the main folks involved, you have a strong supporting cast that includes Fiona Lewis, Vernon Wells, Orson Bean, Kathleen Freeman, Joe Flaherty, Andrea Martin, Rance Howard, Chuck Jones and Dante stock company actors Robert Picardo, Wendy Schaal, Henry Gibson, Dick Miller, Kevin McCarthy, NS William Schallert. There's also a find score by Dante's regular composer, the great Jerry Goldsmith. And Rob Bottin provided some of the special effects. Overall, I think this is a classic film that should be better recognized.
April 29, 2015
Sujeito miniaturizado e viaja dentro do corpo humano.
April 15, 2015
Sci-Fi comedy really comes together with the starring of Meg Ryan, Martin Short and Dennis Quaid. The latter 2 mash extremely well and provided many serious laughs. When there was no laughs, there was great action!
April 9, 2015
Short just chews up the screen in this manic,zany comedy.
½ April 6, 2015
Middling entertainment.
February 2, 2015
InnerSpace is a wild, preposterous, entertaining movie, largely because of how relentlessly wacky the story is.
January 22, 2015
It's been a long time since I saw this film, but when I stuck my new DVD into the player it was just like coming back to an old friend. I used to watch Innerspace frequently because it was just that right mix of science-fiction and comedy to keep teenage Ben totally entertained. Looking at it now I did notice that, while the visual effects are remarkable for their time, there's a lot more fiction to this and not much science. That doesn't really bother me because now I'm just watching it for the laughs. If you haven't seen Innerspace, it is about an experiment where Dennis Quaid is shrunk down and injected into Martin Short's body. That's all you need to know. Dennis Quaid is charming and yet kind of a jerk as Tuck Pendleton and that works as a complete contrast to Martin Short's turn as Jack Putter. I know some people don't connect with Martin Short's variety of physical comedy, but I find it perfectly fits for his role in this film, no one plays hyperactive and overly neurotic better than him. Meg Ryan shows up in one of her early film roles and is that perfect mix of tough and innocent. Most of the supporting cast is great as well, particularly Robert Picardo who kind of gets to play 2 roles.

Innerspace is a very silly film. I know some people will take issue with the illogical nature of certain events in the movie, but you have to be willing to shut off your brain for a little while and just take the ride with these characters. The way they structured Innerspace is almost akin to a buddy-cop movie (where both of the "cops" are inside the same body.) I love that they added so much action (and a few impressive stunts) into something that could have relied solely on the jokes. One of the neat things they talk about in the commentary is that while filming, despite the fact that the 2 main actors were not really shooting together, they would show up for one-another's scenes. This allowed for a very natural banter and some improv, and you can sense it in their performances. There are lots of people who won't get the level of enjoyment out of Innerspace that I do, and I'm perfectly willing to admit there is some nostalgia playing into my opinion. However if you like a good laugh, and can lose yourself in a film despite some silly "science" I'd recommend you give this movie a try.
January 18, 2015
Fun movie! You can barely go wrong with Joe Dante films when it comes to great special effects and decent entertainment.
½ December 14, 2014
I was surprised, this movie was actually pretty good and it was very well-written. The movie provided a good amount of action, humor, and a few interesting plot twists. I recommend.
November 18, 2014
One of my childhood favourite's :)
½ November 14, 2014
A fun and harmless comedy that doesn't live up to its potential. 67/100
½ July 8, 2014
Not into stupid humor but I liked this one.
January 24, 2014
Not many films combine comedy and SciFi in such smooth blend with new and interesting characters. Can't wait for the sequel which should be called "Jack Potter to the Rescue!"
January 22, 2014
This movie is very adventurous!