Inside Daisy Clover - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inside Daisy Clover Reviews

½ March 31, 2015
Inside Daisy Clover is an amazing film. It is about a tomboy turned movie star who deals with the cruelty of Hollywood. Christopher Plummer, Natalie Wood, and Robert Redford give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Robert Mulligan did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Inside Daisy Clover is a must see.
January 15, 2015
I watched an interesting movie the other night on TCM, "Inside Daisy Clover." I think I may have seen this movie sometime after 1966 when it was released, but I could hardly remember it. I also have the impression that it hadn't impressed me much at the time, or since. Now, with much more experience thinking about movies, I liked it much better.

It starred Robert Redford, Natalie Wood and Christopher Plummer. The story is about a fifteen year-old waif from the wrong side of the tracks (in this instance, a run-down Southern California wharf/fun house/carnival type of place). She makes a record of herself singing and sends it to a big Hollywood film company. The owner of Swan Productions is intrigued, supposedly by her "talent" and decides to groom her for stardom. While that's happening, big movie star Wade Lewis (Robert Redford) sweeps her off her feet and proposes marriage. She, of course, is totally overwhelmed. They marry and start on their honeymoon, but stop at a run-down adobe motel in the desert for the night. When she wakes up in the morning, Redford is gone, having abandoned her. She returns to Hollywood and continues with her training, being completely controlled and manipulated and groomed for stardom by the big mogul, played by a very dapper, sinister and domineering Christopher Plummer.

Now, the interesting thing about this movie is that all of the above-the unfolding of the plot-just happens, with little emotion or fanfare, leaving the viewer to try to guess the motives and feelings of all the characters. You could say, in a sense, that all of the "action" takes place as subtext. We have to guess what the plans and schemes and motivations are, because there is little conflict or drama to convey it to us overtly. What does the mogul really want for Daisy? Is he a sneaky Machiavelli or does he really want to do good for her? Why did her new husband abandon her in the motel? Did he have a good reason? Was he motivated to help her in some unknown way, or is he just a cad? Why didn't the studio head try to stop the obviously inappropriate marriage between an adult Redford and a (at most) sixteen year-old budding star, running the risk of ruining both of their futures and reputations? I won't answer these questions in case you might want to see the movie sometime.

This movie was beautifully produced, directed and paced. Natalie Wood was not quite up to the demands of her role, but the rest of the cast was excellent (including an Academy Award for Ruth Gordon). One might easily take this unfolding plot at face value if it weren't for some disturbing aspects to the goings-on. The production was curiously adorned with the atmosphere of a horror movie, with many "noirish," drawn-out scenes to keep the audience restless and in anticipation even when the plot itself-what was actually happening on screen-didn't seem to raise any red flags. And even more curiously, one scene was actually punctuated by the now infamous screeching sounds immortalized in the murder scene in "Psycho." Did Mulligan steal this from Hitchcock?

If this movie wasn't so well paced, one would be tempted to pick on the various credulity gaps in the script. The main problem is that during Daisy's training we are subjected to two or three complete musical productions with Daisy singing and dancing (yes, the film was a strange sort of "musical.") These performances exposed Natalie Wood (assuming the voice was hers and not dubbed) as a barely adequate song-and-dance girl, and raises the question of how the Big Producer in the movie was so impressed by her marginal talent as to decide to take her on. Setting aside the unlikely Cinderella aspect of her "discovery," how would anyone have been impressed by that voice? Many movies of the '40s and '50 tended to tell the audience what to think about the characters and their abilities in cases where those talents were not convincingly demonstrable-stars making like they are playing a musical instrument when they obviously couldn't; or preposterously miscast roles played by ingenue types trying to appear as professors, businessmen or statesmen, but without the gravitas to be at all convincing-and not even to mention that Hollywood didn't learn how to make fights look real until at least the early '60s. "Daisy" was thought by some to be ahead of its time, and that's true in the sense that it what didn't work then, seems to work much better now.
January 13, 2015
love the exterior shots from the old sta monica pier
May 22, 2014
Natalie Wood plays the title character with such authenticity that you get drawn to this movie! Ruth Gordon plays her mother! She's so cool!
August 8, 2013
27 year-old Natalie Wood plays teenage spitfire Daisy Clover, who lives with her eccentric mother (Ruth Gordon) in a trailer on the pier. She is discovered, becomes a movie star, and marries gay, drunk Robert Redford (and it's clear in 1965 Hollywood, committing statutory rape is way more palatable than homosexuality). Then she's sad. This is some crap melodrama, and the movie scenes are in no way authentic to the 1930s, but nobody does hysterics like Natalie Wood, and Ruth Gordon is wonderful as always.
May 25, 2013
Just saw it on TCM. Worst movie I ever saw. What a waste of talent.
May 25, 2013
Despite the modified Buster Brown haircut, 27 year old Natalie Wood just doesn't come across as a 16 year old. And "sophisticated" Wade Lewis was played by 29 year old Robert Redford .. only 2 years older than Natalie Wood!
½ May 25, 2013
Bad, simply bad. Natalie Wood is wasted in this. She was too old to play a teenager. What's with the wig? Just weird and distracting. They needed to do more than just get a bunch of old cars to make it seem like the 1930's too. And the musical numbers were atrocious. Nevertheless, Robert Redford was sure gorgeous though.
½ March 27, 2013
It had some great moments with Natalie Wood, Robert Redford, her mother and of course Christopher Plummer. His presence brings with it an authority that is unlike any other actor. It does take things to extremes however and it seems to lose its entertainment value. Instead it seems to want to take a cheap shot at Hollywood and its corrupting influences, but even on this I was not sold. She came from a crazy house and they expected her to act normal, but of course this rarely works out. Redford then turned out to be a pedophile homosexual, which was not shown but merely alluded to, still pretty gutsy for those days. I also got annoyed with her canned singing and lackluster choreography. Some of the songs were catchy though. It could have been much better, but the hopeless suicide attempts and blown up house seemed like an abrupt ending.
September 23, 2012
A decidedly odd film that is wonderfully script and filmed, with lovely performances from Natalie Wood, Robert Redford and Christopher Plummer.
September 23, 2012
The ups & downs of becoming a famous teenage star in 1930's Hollywood. Natalie Wood, Robert Redford, and Christopher Plummer deliver with terrific acting. The ending is sweet revenge at it's finest.
July 12, 2012
Bizarre, WTF satire (?) of Hollywood fame and its affect on those stars passing through its gates. From the get-go, you have next to no idea what the heck this movie is shooting for. I have no idea what the novel was like, so I have no idea whether this film is completely off-base, or is it just unsuccessfully trying to adapt an "un-adaptable" book. Garish, unpleasant, pointless.
March 30, 2012
"Inside Daisy Clover" is the earliest movie I've seen that features an actress play on the same field as any of the top actors of the time. Natalie Wood never really got the credit she deserved as an actress, and this was the reason she became the legend she's remembered as. The supporting cast is amazing with Christopher Plummer as the very creepy studio executive and Robert Redford as a closeted Bi-Sexual actor, which seemed incredibly revolutionary for the time it was made. It's kind of the female version "Rebel without a Cause" mixed in with a demented Sherry Temple story.
March 2, 2012
Despite great turns by Plummer and Redford, this movie bored me to no end. Wood was NOT convincing as a 15-year old. She was awful.
February 7, 2012
I love this movie, and it's portrayal of the pain and sham behind the face of Holliwood glory.
½ November 27, 2011
Insanely overwrought and giggle-inducing, but you can't take your eyes off Natalie Wood.
½ November 6, 2011
I am thinking this had to be one of Natalie Wood's and Robert Redfords first movies. Although overacted it kept me entertained. A story about a 15 year old (played by Natalaie who was probably at least 22 yrs) whom comes from a broken home and finds she can sing so off she goes to become a star...not even a pair of shoes on her feel. Soon she falls in love with a gay guy, gets married, and dumped... even though she was naive in marriage at least she got to become a big star....
July 12, 2011
Stage Mothers seem to be a reoccurring theme in Natalie Wood movies & this Rags to Riches to Nervous Breakdown Movie, is no exception.From Tom Boy to Shining Star, but celebrity has a cruel price, & she never wanted it in the 1st place, & it backfires on the crazy Stage Mother too.
Natalie Wood is so underrated & forgotten, but what a great & beautiful talent she was.This Movie is Fun yet Poignant with a GREATTTTTT ending.
May 9, 2011
One of Natalie Woods better performances, but she still isn't great. Robert Redford is very stiff and unpolished in an early role. It's a good story with numerous interesting moments. I couldn't help but think how a different cast could have made such a difference. Well produced.