Inside Moves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inside Moves Reviews

October 29, 2015
I know nothing about basketball, and I can't even begin to truly understand the plight of the handicapped, but this is one of the best feel good movies of all time. Far more authentic than anything on Hallmark Movie Channel, featuring great performances from everyone (including the criminally underrated and currently MIA Diana Scarwid, who got an Oscar nomination for her subtly moving performance).
August 7, 2013
A boring, aimless film that builds little tension and doesn't have nearly enough humor to avoid sinking into a soap-opera swamp.
March 22, 2013
I just bought a copy of Inside Moves. I always loved this film but had not seen it in a long time. It is a film that is full of excellent performances. A bonus feature about the original book and bringing it to the screen was really fascinating. It's amazing to think how hard it is to make a movie like this. They don't sell. If you take some of the great films of the golden era as far as I'm concerned the 1970s and early 80s, a lot of these films couldn't be made any longer unless as an independent. It's a treat to see Harold Russell again. Diana Scarwid is so good and understated. I really like the two leads in Savage and Morse. Richard Donner is a director with real heart. Take a look at some of those early scenes in Superman when he is in Smallville and how beautiful they are filmed. Take a film as creepy as the Omen and it still works today. I liked his Lethal Weapon trilogy. Watch Inside Moves.
½ September 23, 2012
Well Done Film with excellent acting from all the principals
½ January 4, 2012
Decent movie with David Morse starring in his first big role. Good acting.
December 19, 2011
oh man, this is interesting... its basically John Savage getting shit on from the opening scene... there isn't any basketball really played and getting in the NBA is as simple as walking up the tunnel, past security and talking shit to a big black guy.
February 5, 2011
This is one of me and my dad's favorite movies
½ August 1, 2010
A must for Golden State Warrior fans. A speaking role for Clifford Ray and appearances by Phil Smith, Raymond Townsend, Robert Parish, Sonny Parker, and Tom Abernathy. The movie itself is okay. David Morse in his debut and John Savage in his prime.
½ July 18, 2010
Just okay. This little melodrama reminded me of "Good Will Hunting," but wasn't nearly as good of a film. It's one of only three films featuring Oscar-winner Harold Russell though, and that made it interesting to watch. William Wyler told Russell there weren't many parts in Hollywood for actors with no hands, but Russell definitely had talent, screen presence and charisma, even if he did lack hands. We should have been able to see more of him.
May 9, 2010
Director Richard Donner has said this is his favorite among all the movies he's made. A very sentimental film about friendship and lost dreams. Movie begins with a shockingly matter fact suicide attempt as John Savage throws himself off a building. After months of recovery, he walks into a bar run by pro basketball wannabe David Morse. Regular patrons of the bar are a man who has lost his hands, a blind man, and others, who Savage soon realizes all have massive downturns in their lives. Listening to their stories make his problems very insignificant. The camaraderie of these patrons, managing to laugh at life's problems, gives Savage a new appreciation of life. It's to Donner's credit that that he points to the fact that all people cannot be saved, if they choose not to. Only drawback to the film is Morse's character turns into a major jerk and whines when things don't go his way. Yes, it's needed to further the plot , but goes on much too long and the film stalls a bit. Far from my favorite Donner film ( that would be Superman ) but overall, it is a nice change of pace for the director
May 4, 2010
If I could find a neighborhood bar as warm & fun as the 1 on Inside Moves, I defintely wouldnt mind hanging out
April 18, 2010
Richard Donner pic that has real-life crushing lows and glowing highs. The biggest challenges thrown at us test how much we have to give to life. Some fail where others see the hammering for what it really is. Great movie. No 'transgressive' negativity dressed up as hip in this, so modern viewers may not be interested. fuck em.
½ April 11, 2010
Decent movie with David Morse starring in his first big role. Good acting.
½ February 21, 2010
Pretty good little movie.
December 31, 2009
One of the great unknown movies. I saw this when it first came out and was completely blown away by the performances and the overall feel of the picture. I have since shown it to many friends and consider it one of the best movies of all time. John Savage,Diana Scarwid and David Morse are all fantastic. All of the other cast deliver a great ensemble performance - particularly Bill Henderson, Bert Remsen, and Harold Russell in his first performance since winning best supporting actor for Best Years Of Our Lives in 1946. Made by Richard Donner with the money he made from Superman 1.
August 26, 2009
This underrated (and underexposed) movie ranks with "Superman" and "Lethal Weapon" as one of Richard Donner's best.
½ August 2, 2009
A very well crafted film. I think it will get better on repeat viewings. It's an unexpected next film for Richard Donner after the Omen and Superman, and he handles the material well. You can tell that everyone put their heart and soul into the movie. I really enjoyed it.
½ July 6, 2009
I always thought David Morse and John Savage were underated actors and this was their time to shine! This is basically a tell of "losers" in life who try as they might are forced to go on living that life until they get it right and learn to appreciated it. almost like a true life groung hog day"keep at it until u appreciate it!
May 11, 2009
Ranks alongside THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION as one of the greatest movies ever made about friendship. Certainly the least seen.
April 11, 2009
After trying to kill himself, but failing at it and instead ending up a cripple. Rory (John Savage), starts hanging out in Max's bar. A neigbourhood bar with a colorful clientele. He soons befriends the bar tender Jerry Maxwell (David Morse), a crippled basketball player who is one knee operation away from the big league. "Inside Moves" is a soulful movie about human kindness and hope. The cast shines throughout, especially John Savage!