The Interpreter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Interpreter Reviews

½ May 8, 2016
Sean Penn's really good, but, there are too many far fetched ideas and implausibilities here. Nicole Kidman, get your bloody hair out of your face.
April 8, 2016
A nice way to spend a couple of hours. Acting was good.
½ February 20, 2016
Worst movie I've ever seen
December 18, 2015
Certainly intelligent, certainly a proper balance of action and drama only hindered by critics who can't interpret the fact that the UN is mainly a backdrop for the story.
½ November 16, 2015
Meh, this is not a thriller to me. The leads were good and the story too but I felt like there was something missing.
½ November 8, 2015
She knows not to speak the names of the dead.

Deep in the heart of Africa a United Nations ambassador gets in the middle of an assassination attempt. A secret service agent is assigned to protect the interpreter and uncover the reason for the assignation attempts. A deep political scandal unfolds in front of the agent.

"Vengeance is a lazy form of grief."

Sydney Pollack, director of Tootsie, Out of Africa, Sabrina (1995), This Property in Condemned, Three Days of the Condor, and Absence of Malice, delivers The Interpreter. The storyline for this picture is kind of ordinary and predictable. The action scenes were solid and the acting was better than the content. The cast includes Sean Penn, Nicole Kidman, Katherine Keener, Jesper Christensen, and Michael Wright.

"What do you do when you can't go to sleep?"
"I stay awake."

This picture was recommended to me by Fios so I DVR'd it off cable. It was pretty good during the action scenes with a few intense moments, but the overall film was pretty average. I'd only watch this if nothing better was on.

"The teacher says good day to you."

Grade: C
October 23, 2015
"The Interpreter" is a boring film with two wonderful actors like Kidman and Penn. I really thought this movie was going to be captivating...It's FAR from that. I couldn't finish it.
October 20, 2015
A disastrous film that wants to be more complex than it should be, coming up with more and more unnecessary details at the expense of simple concision, and so the obvious, predictable narrative gets lost amid contrivances, implausible scenes and plot holes the size of Africa.
½ September 27, 2015
Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Who is really planning on assassinating the guy from Africa? Full of twists and a decent movie
½ August 10, 2015
Crisp and well acted but they sure do ask a lot of believe from the viewer.
½ February 27, 2015
My expectations were high having star actors like Penn and Kidman alongside each other in this thriller. Unfortunately I was dissatisfied by the ending and the performances.
February 6, 2015
Very thrilling sequences and a compelling storyline; however, the performances were unite disappointing coming from A-list actors.
January 29, 2015
the risks of hearing whispers in the night... an exciting thriller.
January 11, 2015
A decent if predictable thriller that puts two great actors opposite each other with enjoyable results, and does have a handful of "pulse-pounding" moments. Sydney Pollack shoots New York so well, and this film is no exception. It won't blow you away but it's a solid movie in which Penn and Kidman play interesting and layered characters. A better script would have allowed them to truly shine.
December 25, 2014
Well written, suspenseful, well-acted, and intelligent. Those who gave it three stars probably just were too dumb to follow it. Excellent film!
October 31, 2014
good mystery yarn in pollack's skillful hands.
October 2, 2014
Sean Penn and Nicole Kidman enjoyed the movie really good. Both actor and actress have a way of catching the viewers emotions. Love your movies Sean
September 13, 2014
Overly long, far-fetched, convoluted, though Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn do their best, Sydney Pollack's The Interpreter fails to deliver suspense.
July 21, 2014
An intriguing film but observing global politics from a very uncomfortable perspective! Worthwhile! :-)
May 13, 2014
Political drama a little too pretentious for me. Largely because the sight of Nicole Kidman made me shudder about this overrated actress. The only thing that makes this movie watchable was Sean Penn as the secret service agent trying to figure out Nicole Kidman, the south African interpreter.